The Student Room Group

Essay Bingo - The wierdest thing you've put in an acedemic essay...

In my first year I used the phrase 'gave oral sex to a policeman'...

And I am currently writing about Frankie Boyle :s-smilie: So some bad language is being used.

I'm curious to see what else our lecturers have had to read about...? x
Reply 1
Original post by BexyQ

And I am currently writing about Frankie Boyle :s-smilie: So some bad language is being used.

Awesome :biggrin:
In an essay I've just done I wrote about an installation which is a chair with a triangle of animal fat on it.
Reply 2
Very interesting :smile: i can imagine art lends itself to writing about unusual things..
Reply 3
My other half gets jealous of the things I bring up in my essays. He does Spanish and I do Philosophy. I've made reference to Tina Turner and her real name (Anna Mae Bullock- I will never forget that! :biggrin:), Carrie Underwood and Leona Lewis and theorised about when my parents had sex. Awesome.
I used the argument that people with chicken pox can swim across rivers to prove that viruses are not zombies in an essay.
Reply 5
One of my essays - 'a little background research into X shows that he participated in many rather questionable sexual acts, one of which included a donkey, a horn and a sheepskin rug, so it goes without saying his theories are comparable with his personal life and his opinions should not be taken too seriously...'

I've also handed something in without proofreading it and therefore forgetting that I hadn't deleted a rant I'd written half way through. That rant was me bitching about a lecturer who pissed me off that day. He was also the primary marker for my essay. Well done me. :facepalm2: When he called me out on it I pretended one of my friends wrote that when I wasn't looking. I don't think he believed me :ninja:
Reply 6
I did a report on microeconomic aspects of the sale of crack cocaine.
I'd been watching The Wire a lot at the time...
Original post by BexyQ

Who? :teehee:
My two bests are when I invented what I came to call "The Allegory of The Box" as pretty much the final conclusion that my entire law essay had been building up to - so it was a pretty core element this essentially bull**** box theory (it was actually a fairly smart bit of thinking if you had the full explanation but it wasn't a theory I believed in, I'd just invented it to keep the marker happy).

Also I managed to use the destruction of Earth in Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as an analogy for the public claiming someone's front garden as a public right of way after having used it for years and thus the council then turned the public right of way into a road. (If you haven't got it yet it was a property law essay on public rights of way :tongue:)

Both of these got a good mark at the end! I was somewhat surprised :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
I have written about Disney's version of Aladdin in an essay on Orientalism. Thoroughly enjoyed the excuse to watch the film again lol. :smile:

I don't seem to put anything particularly funny in my essays though. Even my recent essay on sex and the political role it played in Anglo-Indian communities was pretty clean.

I must try harder lol! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by RabbitCFH
Who? :teehee:

Hahaha, it was about a role I played in a play called 'Yard Gal'.
Reply 11
Original post by affinity89

I don't seem to put anything particularly funny in my essays though. Even my recent essay on sex and the political role it played in Anglo-Indian communities was pretty clean.

I must try harder lol! :smile:

Oh man that was the perfect opportunity to write some amazing, rude nonsense :cool:
Original post by BexyQ
Hahaha, it was about a role I played in a play called 'Yard Gal'.

The guy who played the cop must have liked it quite a bit. :teehee:
Reply 13
The guy who played the cop must have liked it quite a bit. :teehee:

He particularly enjoyed the rehearsals :wink:
Original post by BexyQ
He particularly enjoyed the rehearsals :wink:

Did anyone record the play? :sexface:
Reply 15
Did anyone record the play? :sexface:

Yes, but im just avin you on. :rolleyes:
Original post by BexyQ
Yes, but im just avin you on. :rolleyes:

I realised that. :sad:
Reply 17
Original post by affinity89
I have written about Disney's version of Aladdin in an essay on Orientalism. Thoroughly enjoyed the excuse to watch the film again lol. :smile:

I just re-watched that film for the first time in probably 15 years, and thought it was great. The animation, in particular, is beautiful; it's such a shame Disney films are never drawn anymore. The Americanised, sentimental, kitschiness of it was a bit much though, but that's Orientalism for you: a safe (and patronising) projection of the idea of the 'exotic'. I feel the same about Indiana Jones.
"He strapped the dildos to the heels of his stilettos and proceed to penetrate himself until he excreted."

The joys of performance art.

(Seeing as there is a lot of Disney talk above I'll mention that I'm now writing my MA Dissertation on Disney World)

Quick Reply

Latest