The Student Room Group

What is Manchester like?

Next September, I will probably studying Computer Science at The University of Manchester.

Unfortunately, I've never been there (or in UK).

Students who study there or people who live there, can you tell me about it? For example, what do usually students do?

Also, I'd like to see many pictures from the City Centre and the university buildings or its campuses, which I've never seen (I couldn't find photos on Google).:biggrin:

Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by OrmondDrone

Thank you man! That's exactly what I wanted! Tagged photos of Manchester. As for the last website you suggest, I'm quite familiar with it. :biggrin:

Also, does anyone know at which buildings do CS students attend classes? Only Kilburn Building?
Original post by iVaggelis

Also, does anyone know at which buildings do CS students attend classes? Only Kilburn Building?

The timetables have all the room locations on :smile:
Reply 4
The timetables have all the room locations on :smile:

The Timetable page is quite confusing. :s-smilie:

I've even read the Timetable Key, but I can't figure out how to navigate-read the CS's Room page. Where can I find in which building belongs each code? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
The Timetable page is quite confusing. :s-smilie:

I've even read the Timetable Key, but I can't figure out how to navigate-read the CS's Room page. Where can in which buildings belongs each code? :smile:

Okay - are you doing single honours computer science or computer science with another subject?
Reply 6
I have an offer for BSc Computer Science, but I would like to sign up for Industrial Experience too, when I get there, if that's possible. So, Single Honours Computer Science.
I have an offer for BSc Computer Science, but I would like to sign up for Industrial Experience too, when I get there, if that's possible. So, Single Honours Computer Science.

My friend is in the same position, he seems to think its possible so you should be fine :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lonelykatana
My friend is in the same position, he seems to think its possible so you should be fine :smile:

This is quite reassuring! Thanks :smile:

Okay - usually you can choose to take the industrial experience year or not quite late so that shouldn't be a problem.

From the timetable it looks like in registration week you will be in Kilburn, Roscoe, and Renold buildings. Roscoe is about 2 mins walk from Kilburn building and its used alot in welcome weeks and 'all course' information sessions as it has a couple of huge lecture theatres. Renold is on north campus which is about 10 mins walk away from Kilburn. After welcome week it looks like you will be mostly in Kilburn, with a once weekly trip to the Renold building.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Okay - usually you can choose to take the industrial experience year or not quite late so that shouldn't be a problem.

From the timetable it looks like in registration week you will be in Kilburn, Roscoe, and Renold buildings. Roscoe is about 2 mins walk from Kilburn building and its used alot in welcome weeks and 'all course' information sessions as it has a couple of huge lecture theatres. Renold is on north campus which is about 10 mins walk away from Kilburn. After welcome week it looks like you will be mostly in Kilburn, with a once weekly trip to the Renold building.

Hope this helps :smile:

Yes, this is really helpful! Thank you! :smile:

Do you study at the University of Manchester?
Yes, this is really helpful! Thank you! :smile:

Do you study at the University of Manchester?

No - I'm from Manchester and have spent a bit of time around the campus :biggrin:
its mostly cold and usually wet
Reply 13
Well you may have heard of the infamous CHAVS (creamy ham and vegemite sandwiches) which people constantly complain about, but you can just ignore them it's really not a big deal
Reply 14
No - I'm from Manchester and have spent a bit of time around the campus :biggrin:

'Spent a bit of time around the campus'

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 15

Thank you twice then for your effort to help me get familiar with Manchester! :smile:

Original post by Ryanxclarke
its mostly cold and usually wet

I live in Corfu, so I'm quite used to humidity and rain, but in summer, does it get a lot warmer and sunny or is it always clouddy?
Thank you twice then for your effort to help me get familiar with Manchester! :smile:

I live in Corfu, so I'm quite used to humidity and rain, but in summer, does it get a lot warmer and sunny or is it always clouddy?

the spring around now is quite nice and sunny but once it gets to july it rains a lot and its overcast most of the time up until the winter were it get quite cold and often snowy around christmas..... the nightlife is good tho
Reply 17
Original post by Ryanxclarke
the spring around now is quite nice and sunny but once it gets to july it rains a lot and its overcast most of the time up until the winter were it get quite cold and often snowy around christmas..... the nightlife is good tho

Nice! Thank you for the info!

I may not, currently at least, live in UK, but I like the rain and especially snow (although I'm not familiar with it, since it never snows in Corfu). Christmas without snow, it's not Christmas! :biggrin:

Also, because I enjoy going to the cinema, what can you tell me about that? For example, IMAX, is it supposed to be the best one or are there better ones?

Also, because I enjoy going to the cinema, what can you tell me about that? For example, IMAX, is it supposed to be the best one or are there better ones?

The closest cinema to campus - about 10 mins walk - is the Cornerhouse which shows art house films and a few classics too. I visit occasionally for films but mainly for the cafe :colondollar: Then about 5 mins away from there is the Great Northern complex. Then there is also the Printworks complex which has an IMAX cinema - this is probably 20mins walk from campus (or 10 mins from north campus). If you are living south of campus (Fallowfield, Withington, Didbury areas), some people also go to the Parrswood complex that has a Cineworld cinema. The one I go to most is the Odeon at the Trafford Centre which has regular, 3D and IMAX screens (you can get there by bus from campus - take the 250 from opposite the RNCM - it takes you past Old Trafford which some people find interesting :wink: )

All the cinemas in Manchester offer student discounts - just show your uni card.
Original post by gummers
'Spent a bit of time around the campus'

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending