The Student Room Group

If a tree falls in the wood.....

If tree falls in the woods but you can't hear or see it falling, did it actually fall? A girl asked me this and my reply was....

Well of course, because if I go back their the tree will be lying on the floor... I don't get the argument here?

Someone explain to me?

Because if the tree falls it falls, no one has to see it..... Just like we know theirs wind, we can't see it though can we...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
did it fall?? or did it crash?? or was it knocked over?? who knows cause no one was there!!
Reply 2
This is an odd one.... Maybe she got it mixed up with "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound" :s-smilie:
Original post by Perky perks
did it fall?? or did it crash?? or was it knocked over?? who knows cause no one was there!!

Either way it fell!
Sayings aren't mathematical proofs, they are just phrases parents use to seem all old n wise lol.
Reply 4
inb4 schrodingers cat
Reply 5
Well if we take all the evidence on tree's falling and correlate it. Then the overwhelming conclusion would be yes.

Also this is one of those things that people say to seem deep, but you know they're as shallow as a shower.
Reply 6
Ask her if her daddy touches her at night, and no one tells her it's wrong, does she still get molested?
Reply 7
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
If tree falls in the woods but you can't hear or see it falling, did it actually fall? A girl asked me this and my reply was....

Well of course, because if I go back their the tree will be lying on the floor... I don't get the argument here?

Someone explain to me?

Because if the tree falls it falls, no one has to see it..... Just like we know theirs wind, we can't see it though can we...

i guess maybe assuming you can't actually go and check it fell?
because then you wouldn't know it had fallen so in your mind it might as well still be standing
Reply 8
...isn't it meant to be if a tree falls over and no one sees it then is someone still meant to say timber or something like that??
Reply 9
Original post by edd360
inb4 schrodingers cat

mother****er, this happens to me every time
Reply 10
Original post by Shippy
This is an odd one.... Maybe she got it mixed up with "if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound" :s-smilie:

This...it was on the QI best of episode last night so this might be it.
Reply 11
Anyway you'll never know until you actually go see it, but does it only fall when you see it fell?
Original post by Broderss
Anyway you'll never know until you actually go see it, but does it only fall when you see it fell?

Nope, I can get someone to call me up....
Reply 13
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

Someone explain to me?

it sounds like some philosophy topic to me~~
Reply 14
a better question is

"if a tree falls in the wood and no one is there to hears it, who gives a ****"
get your assumptions right first, then prove.

strictly speaking, yes the does fall, because first you have made the assumption. and on that assumption you can safely say when the tree makes contact with the ground, sound waves are produced, whether it reaches a human's ear is a different matter.

if you want to leave it open, you would say we are not sure whether we heard the sound of a tree falling or not, from that you cannot exactly say if the tree fell or not.
Reply 16
Original post by Shippy

yeah they probably meant this. to which i'd say it definitely would still make a sound, even if there was no one around to hear it.
Reply 17
"if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound"

... No, but the squirrel that it lands on will...

this is the LOL,

Reply 18
No, it transfigured.
Original post by hockeyjoe
mother****er, this happens to me every time

It also doesn't happen to you everytime :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest