The Student Room Group

Working class girls/women, question for

What do you think of middle(or higher)class men? Are they soft, and nancy boys, less sexually attractive/dangerous? Does your background heavily effect who you'd date, even if (or not)you're at uni etc?

Scroll to see replies

i dated a middle-class guy for 3 years. the only problem i had was he talked about my family like they were a piece of ****, just cos they were unemployed (they have worked in the past and have medical problems). middle/higher class i'm not bothered about, but if you talk about my family like that...
Not really, I wouldn't care unless he was extremely posh and arrogant or something. Why do you want to know?
women are hypergamus creatures(they tend to marry up within society) so middle class men with professional jobs are more attractive than working class men with unskilled/semi-skilled jobs. Generally, women will not marry downwards; they're attracted to men of equal or greater socio-economic status than themselves.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have a question for people: What do you count as lower, middle and upper class?

It's hard to tell for some people what class they fit into.
Reply 5
Original post by darkxangel
Not really, I wouldn't care unless he was extremely posh and arrogant or something. Why do you want to know?

Just curious, because I've had a thing for some working class girls, but I get the feeling they like something more rough and ready, like I wouldn't have cachet with 'em.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
women are hypergamus creatures(they tend to marry up within society) so middle class men with professional jobs are more attractive than working class men with unskilled/semi-skilled jobs.

Not everyone can do that, so that doesn't add up. Also, we have feminism which has changed things now, so women aren't constrained so much that way.
Reply 7
It depends if I had something in common with them. Someone with a working class job and background can be interested in languages, culture and science, which match my interests, so that would be a good pair - likewise, someone from a middle class background could love gaming and ready meals, and that wouldn't be so mint.
I'd like to think that I wouldn't notice it, but if anyone ever started judging me for my background, i'd hit the roof. I know how to fight :colone:
Original post by Chillaxer
Not everyone can do that, so that doesn't add up. Also, we have feminism which has changed things now, so women aren't constrained so much that way.

i know, i'm not saying that all women marry up in the socio-economic scale; i'm saying that they tend to. furthermore, even successful career women tend to marry up to the economic scale; this is why even within very rich households in which both parents earn a high income, the man still tends to hold the higher paying job. Hypergamy is not absolute but it very much applies to most women (even though many of them would deny this phenomenon). Women tend to marry men of equal or greater socio-economic status than them.
Reply 9
i don't think i'd care unless they were really arrogant or looked down on my background!
there are more important things than class...
Reply 10
I'd have to go back to my great-great grandfather to find anyone authentically working class. (Joiner/builder) That was when working class was differently defined, he built tons of houses. So I suppose, although there haven't been any private school people in the family, so I'm not 'posh', I really have no understanding of that world.
Reply 11
I don't have a problem with them at all. I guess there might be differences between us which could affect our relationship e.g. if he looked down on me for having little money, but that's very rare and the majority of middle class guys I meet are lovely.
Reply 12
Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
i know, i'm not saying that all women marry up in the socio-economic scale; i'm saying that they tend to. furthermore, even successful career women tend to marry up to the economic scale; this is why even within very rich households in which both parents earn a high income, the man still tends to hold the higher paying job. Hypergamy is not absolute but it very much applies to most women (even though many of them would deny this phenomenon). Women tend to marry men of equal or greater socio-economic status than them.

Your argument doesn't make sense, just logistically, how could the majority of women be marrying up frrom their socioeconomic group? It doesn't add up. Anyway like I said it's very differnt nowadays, women are morelikely to do stuff for themselves, earn hgh for themselves etc and choose a man cos of liking or attraction, rather than just cash.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I have a question for people: What do you count as lower, middle and upper class?

I think it is most to do with aspirations. If you want to go to uni and work in a profession then you are middle class imo. Working class lads drop out of school and join the army or do other manual jobs (nothing wrong with it) and I have always thought of upper classes as people who were born into alot of money.
Reply 14
The "class" of a guy doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Upper/ middle class guys aren't any more attractive than other guys. In fact, after attending a private school along with the ignorant, molly-coddled mummy's boys swarming about the place, it can make them a tad less attractive.

"Haw haw."

Upper class is entirely to do with birth and has absolutely nothing to do with how much money your family possesses, most upper class people are in reality pretty poor.
Then I'm pretty sure, though not entirely, middle class is to do with wealth and profession but as an example, Alan Sugar is middle class despite being absurdly rich.
Reply 16
Original post by IlexBlue
The "class" of a guy doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Upper/ middle class guys aren't any more attractive than other guys. In fact, after attending a private school along with the ignorant, molly-coddled mummy's boys swarming about the place, it can make them a tad less attractive.

"Haw haw."

Well, yeah, if you read the OP, that was what I was alluding to, not the opposite.
Original post by rugbyladosc
I think it is most to do with aspirations. If you want to go to uni and work in a profession then you are middle class imo. Working class lads drop out of school and join the army or do other manual jobs (nothing wrong with it) and I have always thought of upper classes as people who were born into alot of money.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Original post by BalanceCommaGirl
Upper class is entirely to do with birth and has absolutely nothing to do with how much money your family possesses, most upper class people are in reality pretty poor.
Then I'm pretty sure, though not entirely, middle class is to do with wealth and profession but as an example, Alan Sugar is middle class despite being absurdly rich.

That makes absolutely no sense :rofl:
Thanks. That makes sense.

That makes absolutely no sense :rofl:

Sorry, what doesn't make sense?

What do you think of middle(or higher)class men? Are they soft, and nancy boys, less sexually attractive/dangerous? Does your background heavily effect who you'd date, even if (or not)you're at uni etc?

:rofl: yes they sure are nancy boys and should be spanked every day to get rid of that charachteristic :spank:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending