The Student Room Group

What are good uni's for Computing? :S

Helloooo :smile:
So basically I'm in year 12 right now, and I'm considering taking Computing for uni. The problem is, my parents want me to go to one in or near central london or part of the University of London thing, but I can't seem to find many that offer Computing, just Computer Science.
Can somebody help me out and name me a few that would definitely have Computing? :/

At the moment, I only know of Queen Mary (but I hear they're tough on interviews) and Kingston (REALLY do NOT want to go there...) >.<

EDIT! I'd like to also point out that my predicted grades are ABCC. So obviously I won't be looking at uni's like Imperial. Also, there IS a difference between Computer Science and Computing. The units for Computer Science involve a lot more mathematics such as Algorithms and Complexity and Algebraic Structures and a lot more to do with machines and artificial intelligence. Most for Computing on the other hand, have stuff like Network Planning, Finance & Management and Advanced Database Systems.
(edited 12 years ago)
Neither Queen Mary or Kingston are particularly good in that field, I think.

Try Royal Holloway, UCL, or King's College.
Reply 2
Computing and Computer Science are basically the same course. Also, Imperial does Computing.
Reply 3
Computer Science is probably what you want. In the case of IC, it's called Computing.
Reply 4
What is it that you don't want to do? Computing and Computer Science courses can be exactly the same (for example, Imperial have a Computing course but if you look at the course content it is straight computer science) so rather than saying you don't want to do CS, tell us what specific things you don't want to do, then we can suggest you a course.
Reply 5
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
Neither Queen Mary or Kingston are particularly good in that field, I think.

Try Royal Holloway, UCL, or King's College.

None of those three do Computing. I've checked :frown: I think UCL do Computer Science.
Reply 6
Original post by laser
Computing and Computer Science are basically the same course. Also, Imperial does Computing.

They're not. Computing is more software based, whereas Computer Science is..well..more science-y. The major difference is that you need maths and/or one science-based subject like physics for a levels. I took neither >.<
Reply 7
Original post by Delaney
What is it that you don't want to do? Computing and Computer Science courses can be exactly the same (for example, Imperial have a Computing course but if you look at the course content it is straight computer science) so rather than saying you don't want to do CS, tell us what specific things you don't want to do, then we can suggest you a course.

From what I've been told and read on the internet, Computing is slightly different from Computer science, being that it's more leaning towards ICT, whereas Computer science uses more theoretical focus, a lot more maths and do stuff with robotics etc. Also, they usually want maths for a level and/or physics, which i didn't take :frown: Computing usually say they want B at maths in GCSE, but no specific subject requirements at A level, which is the main reason why I want Computing.
Reply 8
I won't be much help with regards to Computing, but you don't need Maths or a science for CompSci.

Newcastle, for example, doesn't specifically ask for them.
Imperial is your best bet by a mile.
Original post by James_B123
I won't be much help with regards to Computing, but you don't need Maths or a science for CompSci.

Newcastle, for example, doesn't specifically ask for them.

For any decent uni, you most definitely do need Maths for CompSci... At Imperial you pretty much need Further Maths as well.
Certainly for most uni's you need maths, and physics helps too.

As for the OP's question, if you don't wanna do Computer Science, then Computing probably isn't your only other option. There's a load of IT-based courses, or other tech courses also based on media or business or other stuff. You should look into other things than just Computing, and remember to see exactly what each uni offers for their Computing course.
Reply 11
Original post by SharkofMirkwood
For any decent uni, you most definitely do need Maths for CompSci... At Imperial you pretty much need Further Maths as well.
Certainly for most uni's you need maths, and physics helps too.

I did word it wrongly; all I was trying to say is that you don't necessarily need Maths or a science and there are decent unis (Lancaster and Newcastle for example) that don't specifically ask for it. For the majority or good unis though, you do.

Either way, it's beside the point :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by thnkhppythghts
They're not. Computing is more software based, whereas Computer Science is..well..more science-y. The major difference is that you need maths and/or one science-based subject like physics for a levels. I took neither >.<

No, seriously; some instituions use them interchangeably.
Reply 13
Original post by war833

Original post by war833

Indeed, Oxford teaches 'Computer Science' in the 'Computing Laboratory'.
Original post by laser
Indeed, Oxford teaches 'Computer Science' in the 'Computing Laboratory'.

As of June 1st Oxford will be teaching Computer Science in the Computer Science Department. We are changing our name!
Reply 15
Original post by thnkhppythghts
Helloooo :smile:
So basically I'm in year 12 right now, and I'm considering taking Computing for uni. The problem is, my parents want me to go to one in or near central london or part of the University of London thing, but I can't seem to find many that offer Computing, just Computer Science.
Can somebody help me out and name me a few that would definitely have Computing? :/

At the moment, I only know of Queen Mary (but I hear they're tough on interviews) and Kingston (REALLY do NOT want to go there...) >.<

Imperial and UCL. Imperial isn't part of the University of London group I dont think however, but it's in London and is the best for Computing out of all the London ones. Also Computing in Imperial is very very similar to Computer Science in other universities like UCL. But depending on your grades, I personally wouldn't go for Queen Mary or Kingston, i'd rather choose a better university out of London even if it means convincing your parents, after all it's your own personal experience and responsibility.
Original post by clarityy
But depending on your grades, I personally wouldn't go for Queen Mary or Kingston, i'd rather choose a better university out of London even if it means convincing your parents, after all it's your own personal experience and responsibility.

Yeah, I know that Imperial is one of the top uni's in London, but because of that, they want A/A*'s. At the moment, I'm predicted ABCC...So you see why I'm looking for uni's like Queen Mary lol Kingston is only a last resort, just incase I fail everything, seeing as they only want like 160 Ucas.
Original post by war833

Well, the main issue is the entry requirements and from what I've seen most of the decent uni's want maths or/and physics at A level. For example, Queen Mary offer Computer Science which asks for both Maths+Physics, but they also offer a combined Computing+ICT degree which require neither :/ But as QM aren't exactly well known for their computing department (I've been there recently and I can see why -.-) I'm having doubts about making it my number 1 option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending