The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thescorchedman
Hey, it seems that I am "fashionably" late for this forum. Also a medical applicant, so props to my you all.:smile:
So, how's everyone going to chillax after exams?H

I'm going to Namibia for 3 weeks woo! bringing my trust ukcat revision with me :emo: lol... Im learning from my mistakes :smile: ... actually revise before ukcat and take it seriously it will almost definatly help :rolleyes:
Reply 2561
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
Surely medicine is all about remembering a **** load of facts? :smile: yeah,chem is okay but bio ftw :cool:

In some areas, like anatomy, yeah. There comes a time when one needs to start thinking their way through problems, and Chemistry is rather good for that
Original post by BOD13
In some areas, like anatomy, yeah. There comes a time when one needs to start thinking their way through problems, and Chemistry is rather good for that

I'd like to be a surgeon of some sort one day :smile:

Hence,probably going to apply to KCL (ukcat dependant)
Original post by thegodofgod
I'm going Germany for work experience :dance: (and chilling out as well of course :ninja:)

Oooo! A german hospital?
Oooo! A german hospital?

Yeah :biggrin:
Reply 2565
I'd like to be a surgeon of some sort one day :smile:

Hence,probably going to apply to KCL (ukcat dependant)

Ah ok nice, any idea what sort?
Original post by BOD13

Apparently orthopaedic surgeons get sh*t loads of money! (and neurosurgeons as well of course)
Reply 2567
Apparently orthopaedic surgeons get sh*t loads of money! (and neurosurgeons as well of course)

I want to be an orthopod :biggrin: I'm great at putting up shelves and everything...
Original post by BOD13
I want to be an orthopod :biggrin: I'm great at putting up shelves and everything...

LOL yeah - glorified carpenters :biggrin: :ninja: :getmecoat:
Original post by BOD13

Cardio-thoracics..something to do with the heart basically.. :smile: it would be a dream to perform a heart transplant!
Reply 2570
LOL yeah - glorified carpenters :biggrin: :ninja: :getmecoat:

There is something very cool about it all though, I'm torn between the heart and bones :frown:
Yeah :biggrin:

Oh how I envy thee! :rolleyes: :tongue:
Reply 2572
Cardio-thoracics..something to do with the heart basically.. :smile: it would be a dream to perform a heart transplant!

The heart is awesome, the physiology involved is all very clever lol
Reply 2573
Anyone here want to do pathology? :ninjagirl:
most people I talk to want to do paediatrics or surgery stuff, and I seem to be the weird one
Original post by cz100
most people I talk to want to do paediatrics or surgery stuff, and I seem to be the weird one

Isn't that what coroners do? :lolwut:
Original post by cz100

A very small group of forensic pathologists actually deal with dead people. The majority of pathogists in the NHS are haematologists, microbiologists, histopathologists etc They deal with biopsies and sample to diagnose/identify viruses and the like. They also have a clinical role with infection control, blood disorders etc

Have a look at the Royal College of Pathologists website.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
A very small group of forensic pathologists actually deal with dead people. The majority of pathogists in the NHS are haematologists, microbiologists, histopathologists etc They deal with biopsies and sample to diagnose/identify viruses and the like. They also have a clinical role with infection control, blood disorders etc

Have a look at the Royal College of Pathologists website.

What do haematologists do? Are they in the laboratory carrying out blood tests and such stuff?
Reply 2577

Nah, I did research on the different jobs as part of our LLW coursework last year. Apparently the most asked question is 'isn't pathology all about dead bodies?' but it's actually not. I still get lots of raised eyebrows if I say I want to do pathology, since everyone does seem to think it's all about dead people.
Original post by cz100
Nah, I did research on the different jobs as part of our LLW coursework last year. Apparently the most asked question is 'isn't pathology all about dead bodies?' but it's actually not. I still get lots of raised eyebrows if I say I want to do pathology, since everyone does seem to think it's all about dead people.

So what is it actually about? :redface:
Reply 2579
So what is it actually about? :redface:

They'd test all the samples and stuff, help decide on treatments, maybe research more into the disease. I hadn't looked that deep into it but I think that's the general idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending