The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cz100
They'd test all the samples and stuff, help decide on treatments, maybe research more into the disease. I hadn't looked that deep into it but I think that's the general idea.

So less patient contact, and more into the medical research side of things I assume?
Original post by thegodofgod
What do haematologists do? Are they in the laboratory carrying out blood tests and such stuff?

So what is it actually about? :redface:

Haematology is the study of blood and it's disorders. They are involved in the care and treatment of patients with blood related disorders such as haemophilia, blood malignancies like lymphomas and leukemia and also dealing with bone marrow.

They are usually based out of laboratories where they interpret blood films and tests to provide diagnoses. They are far from totally lab bound, they do have to go and see the patients and actively manage their care :smile:

Pathology is the study of disease, which basically means that they study the microscopic bacteria/viruses/cancers/cells that cause disease.
Reply 2582
So less patient contact, and more into the medical research side of things I assume?

I suppose so, but I read that they are going on more ward visits. It's the science side that really appealed to me as well being able to treat at the same time.

Well obviously less than say a GP. No specialty is allowed to hide in the lab anymore, pathologists do see patients.

You will have to do a lot of research whatever field you choose, it cannot be escaped, not if you want to reach consultant anyway.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well obviously less than say a GP. No specialty is allowed to hide in the lab anymore, pathologists do see patients.

You will have to do a lot of research whatever field you choose, it cannot be escaped, not if you want to reach consultant anyway.

You're like the medical job database! :eek:

:cool:
You're like the medical job database! :eek:

:cool:

haha not quite :wink: You pick up a lot once you start. Every lecturer likes to plug their own specialty :biggrin:
haha not quite :wink: You pick up a lot once you start. Every lecturer likes to plug their own specialty :biggrin:

Do all consultants do some sort of teaching, e.g. teaching undergraduates?
Just booked my UKCAT for 24th of August. Eek!
Reply 2588

A lot of them will do, especially if they are attached to a teaching hospital
Original post by Stegosaurus
Just booked my UKCAT for 24th of August. Eek!

Dude, thanks for reminding me - I signed up yesterday, forgot to book the actual test though! :redface:

Yeah as already said, most do some form of teaching or assessment. Lots of junior doctors and registrars are involved in teaching too (it looks good on the old CV :rolleyes:)
Reply 2591
Yeah as already said, most do some form of teaching or assessment. Lots of junior doctors and registrars are involved in teaching too (it looks good on the old CV :rolleyes:)

And some of them seem to know a hell of a lot more than their superiors :tongue:
Original post by BOD13
And some of them seem to know a hell of a lot more than their superiors :tongue:

Probably because they have a number of incentives to stay at the top of their game, as opposed to worrying about when they can get to the golf course.
Reply 2593
Probably because they have a number of incentives to stay at the top of their game, as opposed to worrying about when they can get to the golf course.

I don't know, lowering the golf handicap is very important for advancing up the surgical ladder
Original post by BOD13
I don't know, lowering the golf handicap is very important for advancing up the surgical ladder

Squash tends to help as well I've found :tongue:
Squash tends to help as well I've found :tongue:

:lolwut:

:confused:
:lolwut:

:confused:

The game....Squash....with racquets :tongue:

Lots of doctors used to play at my club.
The game....Squash....with racquets :tongue:

Lots of doctors used to play at my club.

:rolleyes: I know that lol

You go to a squash club? :cool:

Hopefully a few friends and I are going to be coaching beginners' snooker at the primary school I went to :biggrin:

Hopefully that'll boost up my personal statement a bit :dance:
:rolleyes: I know that lol

You go to a squash club? :cool:

Hopefully a few friends and I are going to be coaching beginners' snooker at the primary school I went to :biggrin:

Hopefully that'll boost up my personal statement a bit :dance:

Well no but I used to at home :smile:

Where's the cue ball going? :eek:
Well no but I used to at home :smile:

Where's the cue ball going? :eek:

You actually had a squash club near you? I thought you lived in the middle of nowhere! :eek:

John Virgo :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending