The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
K maybe it's just me :wink:

Geek in the blood etc etc.

Don't think that being a geek will make you care any more about collections. :hmmm:
Original post by BJack
Don't think that being a geek will make you care any more about collections. :hmmm:

Well of course it may be that I feel differently when I get there, but general workaholism tends to go into overdrive whenever I have/give myself a discernible short term goal, meaningful or not :redface:
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Well of course it may be that I feel differently when I get there, but general workaholism tends to go into overdrive whenever I have/give myself a discernible short term goal, meaningful or not :redface:

For similar reasons I was actually motivated to work for Collections (yes I am a geek too :smile:)
Some Colleges require that you get at least a 2.1 in the Collection or resit next term, which sounds like quite a motivating factor to me!
Reply 1323
MAGDALENITES: get yo' ass to: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_219623924721884 to meet your fellow freshers. I'm a first year mathmo and Entz rep at Magdalen so I'll be helping to arrange your freshers' week! Any questions/queries feel free to message me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1324
Original post by Hughh
MAGDALENITES: get yo' ass to: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...19623924721884 to meet your fellow freshers. I'm a first year mathmo and Entz rep at Magdalen so I'll be helping to arrange your freshers' week! Any questions/queries feel free to message me.

That link doesn't work - it's been cut short for some reason. Merton people, if you've somehow snuck past me tracking y'all down, come here.
Reply 1325
Hopefully it's okay now, thanks for pointing that out!
Reply 1326
Hello! Does anyone know anything about the English course? Like when we get the reading list, etc? I've heard it's really long- are we expected to finish it by October?! And is it true that there's work due during freshers?!

Thank you!
Reply 1327
Original post by jenny18
Hiya,

I'm hoping to study English at Lincoln college in September (even though I have an offer, I still talk in the conditional because it doesn't quite feel real yet) and I was wondering what is the reading list like for over the summer? I've found an old reading list from St Peter's, I think, but it's two academic years ago. Will I be expected to have read all of them by October, even if I don't get the list until mid-August? And are we expected to buy it all, then carry it down to Oxford, or is it fine to borrow them from the library when we get there?

Thanks for all the help!!!
:redface:

Hey, I'm hoping to study English at Brasenose, I think it's quite close to Lincoln. I've been wondering about the reading list as well! Do you know when we'll get it? I'm pretty nervous about the work!
Reply 1328
Have you guys received any more stuff from Oxford beyond your offer letters? I got a health questionnaire to fill out a few months ago (for medicine) but that's it.
Original post by TDM
Have you guys received any more stuff from Oxford beyond your offer letters? I got a health questionnaire to fill out a few months ago (for medicine) but that's it.

Nope, I asked for visa letter since I'm an international but the officer said that I needed to wait until August when my results come out.
My results came out in March and my offer had been made unconditional since then, so I'm not sure what she's waiting for. Then I asked her whether she can send the visa letter sooner, but her office is closed till 5 May.

Oh, and she said that the reading list and some work will be arranged to be sent by the academics department, although she didn't know when.

Btw, congrats for your offer for medicine. It's damn tough to get in right
Reply 1330
Don't be too surprised if you don't hear anything until after the A level results come out. I know it probably seems like a long way away but it's only just over 100 days from now (!).
Original post by BJack
I know it probably seems like a long way away but it's only just over 100 days from now (!).

"Only"?! That's ages!!
Reply 1332
Original post by BJack
Don't be too surprised if you don't hear anything until after the A level results come out. I know it probably seems like a long way away but it's only just over 100 days from now (!).

Hi! I'm an international and have an unconditional offer. I need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to be issued by my college before I can apply for a visa. Should I wait till August too or would the college send me these documents earlier?
Reply 1333
Original post by Namratha

Original post by Namratha
Hey, I'm hoping to study English at Brasenose, I think it's quite close to Lincoln. I've been wondering about the reading list as well! Do you know when we'll get it? I'm pretty nervous about the work!

Hiya!!

Yeah, Brasenose and Lincoln are pretty much next door neighbours so we might see each other around!! You'll have a beautiful view of the Radcliffe Camera, which I'm really looking forward to.

Personally, I have no idea when we'll get a reading list. From what I've heard, only after we get out A Level results, which could be problematic. I have made a start on the booklist that I found, and it is very good. I've enjoyed Yeats and things like that which I've found, and there are some very interesting things that I've loved watching and reading. Also, there are different things for different colleges, so you might hear from Brasenose before me, or I might hear before you. All I have to do really is work and get in. Ooo errrr.
Original post by jenny18
Hiya!!

Yeah, Brasenose and Lincoln are pretty much next door neighbours so we might see each other around!! You'll have a beautiful view of the Radcliffe Camera, which I'm really looking forward to.

Personally, I have no idea when we'll get a reading list. From what I've heard, only after we get out A Level results, which could be problematic. I have made a start on the booklist that I found, and it is very good. I've enjoyed Yeats and things like that which I've found, and there are some very interesting things that I've loved watching and reading. Also, there are different things for different colleges, so you might hear from Brasenose before me, or I might hear before you. All I have to do really is work and get in. Ooo errrr.

I know it's different subjects, but I've received the French reading list, however I'm still waiting on (dreading) the Linguistics. I emailed the St John's Head of Admissions, and she told me after Easter for the Linguistics reading list. :dontknow:
Reply 1335
Original post by meganeira
I've received the French reading list,

Hiya!

You're so lucky, I wish I had recieved anything. How long is the list? If I get a list in August, for October, as long as my arm I'll never see my family again. I'll be sat on my bed reading 24/7, with hopefully my parents bringing me coffe and biscuits!!

I mean, don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to it!!! But...I'm also a touch aprehensive.................:s-smilie:
Original post by meganeira
I know it's different subjects, but I've received the French reading list, however I'm still waiting on (dreading) the Linguistics. I emailed the St John's Head of Admissions, and she told me after Easter for the Linguistics reading list. :dontknow:

Have you read anything from the French book list yet?
I'm attempting to read Les Liaisons Dangereuses
It's so looong and it's full of the tenses teachers say you'll never come across, like the second form of the past conditional... =S

Apparently, many people just read them in English first to get a feel for the plot - may have to do that with the others =S
Original post by jenny18
Hiya!

You're so lucky, I wish I had recieved anything. How long is the list? If I get a list in August, for October, as long as my arm I'll never see my family again. I'll be sat on my bed reading 24/7, with hopefully my parents bringing me coffe and biscuits!!

I mean, don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to it!!! But...I'm also a touch aprehensive.................:s-smilie:

I know what you mean. :| Well apparently it's 'vital' I read and know in detail 10 listed books before the course even starts, and I have another 11 or so to buy. Some of them are really rare and are likely to cost quite a lot. However, there's no guarantee I'm going to get in, as my offer's so high, and I'd only get the book grant if I get in. So I'm a bit apprehensive as I don't really want to buy them all. :frown: I'm also dreading the length of the Linguistics reading list. :frown:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Have you read anything from the French book list yet?
I'm attempting to read Les Liaisons Dangereuses
It's so looong and it's full of the tenses teachers say you'll never come across, like the second form of the past conditional... =S

Apparently, many people just read them in English first to get a feel for the plot - may have to do that with the others =S

Haven't started yet as I've just started my IB finals today, so have been revising instead. I think I might do that. I'm actually getting a bit scared by it. :frown:
Reply 1339
Hmm, I'm almost tempted to email someone and start doing some reading now. Ah, the joys of gap-yearing...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending