The Student Room Group

Woodhouse college!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've applied to Woodhouse too but they sent me a letter saying that I live too far and that they feel that my daily journey must be realistic. I only live about just an hour away. Did anyone get this too? It's not fair as I really wanted to get into Woodhouse but they rejected me just like that. What are the chances that I'll get in if I apply to them again after getting my GCSE results?
Original post by Iqbal007
Thats UCAS though, it doesnt apply to woodhouse its not a uni, so it got its own definition of unconditional :tongue:

I wasn't actually talking about Woodhouse this time, I quoted your post about your friend easily being able to get an unconditional in Middlesex because it's a 'crap university'. Sorry for the confusion :rolleyes:
Original post by nerdfighter28
I wasn't actually talking about Woodhouse this time, I quoted your post about your friend easily being able to get an unconditional in Middlesex because it's a 'crap university'. Sorry for the confusion :rolleyes:

Actually he can get an offer if he choose to apply .......
he's 100% in 3 AS's so that means he's got a guranteed B at AS and 3 D's at A2 :smile: plus there offers are quite low, so he can get in without even finishing his A2
Original post by Princess_Shaz

Me neither! I was waiting for the letter today...:frown: I think I'm going to get rejected =/ Ah well. No way! You're deffo. not going to get rejected, with grades like that :smile: If they reject you, then we know that they're deciding if we get places using heads and tails ¬_¬ LOL! I have a feeling we'll get our replies tomorrow :smile:

Awh, well done and congrats! What subjects are you taking? :smile:

:eek: Really?! Maybe it's because he/she tried to figure the sum out, and that showed that they weren't the type of person to give up? Still no letter for me...I can bet £1000 it's a waiting list or rejection!

Im taking Economics, English lit , Maths and Sociology Whos Goin? :wink:
Reply 304
Yeah =/ I hear Woodhouse is overrated anyways, and it's not the BEST. What subjects did you apply for and what were your predicted grades when you applied? :smile:

Woodhouse is overrated, i finished last year, and now i'm at uni. my advice is if you havent been accepted, there really is no reason for you to get upset, youre not missing out on that much tbh. youre probably better off somewhere else that actually will help you achieve your full potential, and not make you flop your a levels, even thought you were a straight a/a* student at secondary school.
x
It's weird seeing a thread about your college :P
Reply 306
Original post by aemilia
Woodhouse is overrated, i finished last year, and now i'm at uni. my advice is if you havent been accepted, there really is no reason for you to get upset, youre not missing out on that much tbh. youre probably better off somewhere else that actually will help you achieve your full potential, and not make you flop your a levels, even thought you were a straight a/a* student at secondary school.
x

Sorry, ive got an offer from Woodhouse, would you kindly explain how they make you **** up your a levels?
I'm considering going but this is seriously off putting.
Reply 307
Original post by the don
Sorry, ive got an offer from Woodhouse, would you kindly explain how they make you **** up your a levels?
I'm considering going but this is seriously off putting.

i think the best way to put is is, the fact that it is a selective school makes most people who go there quite smart. If you were one of the clever people at your secondary school, you will do well. you just have to remeber that a school with high standards has got a teaching system that allows teachers to teach them in a certain way.

do not expect to be looked after is what i mean. woodhouse really REALLY encourages individual learning, in that teachers teach and do nothing else. whereas, say a secondary school, or a non selective college would encourage an individual, and do everything they can to help them achieve their best, woodhouse just expects you do do so.

dont get me wrong, its a great place, and i have made the most amazing friends there, friends for life i hope. and my words mainly go out to the english department, and the maths department in my first year. its just that, you really need to be prepared to do a lot of the things yourself, and i guess its a very good warm up to uni.

and i said flop them, not **** them up:wink:
x
Reply 308
Original post by aemilia
i think the best way to put is is, the fact that it is a selective school makes most people who go there quite smart. If you were one of the clever people at your secondary school, you will do well. you just have to remeber that a school with high standards has got a teaching system that allows teachers to teach them in a certain way.

do not expect to be looked after is what i mean. woodhouse really REALLY encourages individual learning, in that teachers teach and do nothing else. whereas, say a secondary school, or a non selective college would encourage an individual, and do everything they can to help them achieve their best, woodhouse just expects you do do so.

dont get me wrong, its a great place, and i have made the most amazing friends there, friends for life i hope. and my words mainly go out to the english department, and the maths department in my first year. its just that, you really need to be prepared to do a lot of the things yourself, and i guess its a very good warm up to uni.

x

Fair enough. Im not an independant learner, i literally need a kick up the *** every single day by my teachers but i do learn very fast, so i don't know if its the right place for me, but ive accepted places at Latymer, Woodhouse, but am waiting on St Michaels, so i am undecided...
What did you get at A level and what is considered average at woodhouse?
Original post by aemilia

x

This is exactly what I was thinking before I actually read it :tongue:

It's quite laid back compared to secondary school. Teachers just write notes mainly. They say 40 hours of indivdual learning a week I think. Not everybody is smart though as the requirments for schools connected is lower. Though they aren't stupid. Maths department is good. Just don't do biology there. Though I just guess the way WH is, is because it's preparing you for uni where there are too many people for lecturers to help individually all the time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 310
Original post by the don
Fair enough. Im not an independant learner, i literally need a kick up the *** every single day by my teachers but i do learn very fast, so i don't know if its the right place for me, but ive accepted places at Latymer, Woodhouse, but am waiting on St Michaels, so i am undecided...
What did you get at A level and what is considered average at woodhouse?

there eally is no average at all at woodhouse, and if you do go there, you will find out on results day at the end of your first year. peoples' results literally range from u to a*, but you do get a chance to retake in A2 so that's cool.

I ended up with BBC, and D in AS maths. i did do considerably better on my GCSEs though, and so it was hard to come to terms with the fact that i didnt finish college with, in my oppinion, great a level results.

x
Reply 311
Original post by aemilia
there eally is no average at all at woodhouse, and if you do go there, you will find out on results day at the end of your first year. peoples' results literally range from u to a*, but you do get a chance to retake in A2 so that's cool.

I ended up with BBC, and D in AS maths. i did do considerably better on my GCSEs though, and so it was hard to come to terms with the fact that i didnt finish college with, in my oppinion, great a level results.

x

Thats quite good i swear?
Yeah, they pressured me to take 5As levels, is this a good idea, but they also said i could drop one if i found it had in the frist few weeks.

How did you do at gcse? i think im gona fail as i haven't done any work and just starting now. I hink i might scrape 3 or 4 a* sbut not certain yet.
Reply 312
Original post by the don
Thats quite good i swear?
Yeah, they pressured me to take 5As levels, is this a good idea, but they also said i could drop one if i found it had in the frist few weeks.

How did you do at gcse? i think im gona fail as i haven't done any work and just starting now. I hink i might scrape 3 or 4 a* sbut not certain yet.

if you feel yo can handle it, then i'd say do it. but from gcse to a level is a MAJOR leap. i guess you could give it a go at first. a few of my friends did 5 a levels, and they only continued with 3 in a2.

i got 3 A*, 7 A, and B at gcse, so i dont think bbc at A2 was accpetable. but i guess i did get into uni so thats cool. also, dont get too stressed over gcses, unfortunately, there is worse yet to come:s-smilie:

x
Reply 313
Original post by aemilia
if you feel yo can handle it, then i'd say do it. but from gcse to a level is a MAJOR leap. i guess you could give it a go at first. a few of my friends did 5 a levels, and they only continued with 3 in a2.

i got 3 A*, 7 A, and B at gcse, so i dont think bbc at A2 was accpetable. but i guess i did get into uni so thats cool. also, dont get too stressed over gcses, unfortunately, there is worse yet to come:s-smilie:

x

You did really well at gcse. BBC was good, if you think about half of the country not attaining C's....

Is there Sex and stuff at woodhouse, thats what ive been meaning to ask?

I've been at a boys school all my life....
Reply 314
Original post by the don
You did really well at gcse. BBC was good, if you think about half of the country not attaining C's....

Is there Sex and stuff at woodhouse, thats what ive been meaning to ask?

I've been at a boys school all my life....

do you mean do people have sex in the actual college? i havent heard about anything like that to be honest:s but in terms of meeting people that you might eventually have sex with... yeah, i'm pretty sure there is a possibility:cool:
Reply 315
Original post by aemilia
do you mean do people have sex in the actual college? i havent heard about anything like that to be honest:s but in terms of meeting people that you might eventually have sex with... yeah, i'm pretty sure there is a possibility:cool:

Ahh, same as any other school then lol, its cajj...
I never went to any open days apart from the Latymer one. Which schools did you apply for 16+?
Reply 316
Original post by the don
Ahh, same as any other school then lol, its cajj...
I never went to any open days apart from the Latymer one. Which schools did you apply for 16+?

i applied to:
woodhouse
laswap
c and i
westminister
and im pretty sure i applied to more but i cant remember them.

x
Reply 317
I made a reply several weeks ago saying how upset i was to be put on waiting list, and i was stubborn in the fact that i thought that this was the end of my application to woodhouse..

But since then they have sent me a letter offering me a place! :biggrin:

So you do still have a good chance of getting in even if you are on waiting list, i even called up and asked what else i could do to try get a place, and ended up writing the director of student services a letter.

Perseverance pays off!!
Good luck to all of you on waiting list, and to those who are going in september and to the introductory day i hope to see you there!!
x
Original post by Maya.
I made a reply several weeks ago saying how upset i was to be put on waiting list, and i was stubborn in the fact that i thought that this was the end of my application to woodhouse..

But since then they have sent me a letter offering me a place! :biggrin:

So you do still have a good chance of getting in even if you are on waiting list, i even called up and asked what else i could do to try get a place, and ended up writing the director of student services a letter.

Perseverance pays off!!
Good luck to all of you on waiting list, and to those who are going in september and to the introductory day i hope to see you there!!
x

Congrats. I was on the waiting list for about a two days when I applied.
Reply 319
Hey, soooo you gonna be in Woodhouse then>?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending