The Student Room Group

IB Math SL Project Population Trends In China...

Hey, so my math teacher gave the class our IB project which is due before christmas which is on the Population Trends in China, but when I look at it I haven't the slightest idea what to do. I was wondering if you guys know any good websites which help with it or perhaps if anyone's done it at all? Thanks :smile: And just to clarify im not looking to copy or anything just advice and tips :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Is this about specifically modern population trends or throughout history? Peter Turchin has done a good bit of work on statistical modelling of long-term population trends in China, so if you look that work up on Google you might find some ideas.

Edit: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mUoCrTUo-eEC&lpg=PP1&ots=MGntrKcQGZ&dq=peter%20turchin%20china%20population&pg=PA157#v=onepage&q=China&f=false
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
can someone plz help me with portfolio..
need help!
Reply 3
Don't worry - this portfolio is not difficult! Just read the assessment criteria thoroughly. This is a summary of the portfolio:

Introduction
Plot data and define parameters
Comment on any trends
Suggest and functionS(!) types that could model the trend realistically.
Develop ONE model by using math and reason. (I found it graphically and THEN went the other way... But don't let that show!)
Plot model with data, and comment on fit and revise.
etc. Its on the sheet.

If you think about it, how is the population likely to develop? Exponentially until infinity? Or would it go up and down? Linear? Curve? Limit? Quadratic? There are several options, some more realistic than others.

To interpret K, L, M - look up logistic function on the Wikipedia, and ecosystems.

Make sure you apply the best fit model to other populations as well to test it's validity:-)

I hope this helped!

Edit:

You barely have to know anything about china, its the ability to model that is really assessed. I mentioned the one-child policy once, I think and my teacher was really impressed still.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
hej!
I have to do this till tomorrow and I have noooo clue!

Please help!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by jasam
hej!

Please help!!!!

don't worry mathematical population dynamics is one of my interests - just PM if you need to know anything
Reply 6
so, I cant even start it. I'm such an antitalent for it!
if you are already done it would be cool for me just to review t and then I'll realise my own and be able to do it in my own way (no plagerism, no worries)

would it be fine?
I will write me email adress in next comment
Reply 7
Original post by jasam
so, I cant even start it. I'm such an antitalent for it!
if you are already done it would be cool for me just to review t and then I'll realise my own and be able to do it in my own way (no plagerism, no worries)

would it be fine?
I will write me email adress in next comment

no no no I haven't done this particular project I just know a lot about population dynamics. So I will be able to help you but only with the general modelling principles where to start etc
Reply 8
i dont know whether I can attach a file here, but here's the link:
http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9033-portfolio-type-ii-population-trends-in-china/

maybe you can see it
Reply 9
it's called Population trends in China, if you can find it online that would be awesome since I dont know how to attach file here :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by anshul95

Original post by anshul95
no no no I haven't done this particular project I just know a lot about population dynamics. So I will be able to help you but only with the general modelling principles where to start etc

tnx for this, I have posted my email and some qn. hopefully you'll see it
Reply 11
omg help me tooo please!!! I DESPERATELY NEED HELP!!:s-smilie:
Reply 12
I really need a 16+ for this, I need help as well
Reply 13
I need help too. Someone explain the procedure
Hello everyone!I need help too,I got it yesterday and it's due on monday and it's that same one,POPULATION TREND IN CHINA.my problem is i have no clue what so ever on how to start it,will some one please give me some tips/ideas coz once i get to know how to start then I'll manage it....Help please!!!!!!
Original post by jasam
hej!

Please help!!!!

Could you email me what you have? I am in Pre-Calc...and i have no idea how to do this. Thanks so much jasam :smile:
Original post by SweetDimples

Original post by SweetDimples
Hello everyone!I need help too,I got it yesterday and it's due on monday and it's that same one,POPULATION TREND IN CHINA.my problem is i have no clue what so ever on how to start it,will some one please give me some tips/ideas coz once i get to know how to start then I'll manage it....Help please!!!!!!

Could you email me what you have? I am in Pre-Calc...and i have no idea how to do this. Thanks so much!!!!
Reply 17
Somebody help!! If you have finished can you send me a copy... I AM SO SCREWED! PM me... Or if you cant pls explain to me what the relevant variable and parameters are... and how do i find the functions...
Reply 18
You shouldn't simply ask for a copy of somebody's work - have you not heard about the IB plagiarism rules and penalties?

Plot the given points on a graph - do this by hand or via TI-84 or equivalent.

What type of graph do the points seem to lay on - linear? cubic? Choose the one you wish to develop and analyse it using the TI-84's regression program. Draw the regression line on your graph of the original data and comment on how well they fit. Mention also the regression coefficient, r, which should have been given in your calculator read out.

This should get you started.
Reply 19
Original post by sciortino
You shouldn't simply ask for a copy of somebody's work - have you not heard about the IB plagiarism rules and penalties?

Plot the given points on a graph - do this by hand or via TI-84 or equivalent.

What type of graph do the points seem to lay on - linear? cubic? Choose the one you wish to develop and analyse it using the TI-84's regression program. Draw the regression line on your graph of the original data and comment on how well they fit. Mention also the regression coefficient, r, which should have been given in your calculator read out.

This should get you started.

I've developed/analysed a cubic model using algebra, matrices, RREF etc.
Firstly, is this realistic? Could it work?

Secondly - I haven't heard of regression - could you briefly explain what it is and how it relates to this?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest