The Student Room Group

Amsterdam - Where to Stay / Go?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conkermon

I just booked a trip to dam, 10th-13th June. It will be my first time and I would really love some advice on where to stay? I'm going with an American girl who is intent on staying in a cheap hostel, but I'd personally prefer a cheap hotel, if they exist.

She doesn't want to spend more than £30 a night, probably a bit of flexibility on that though. Can anyone offer me some suggestions? Ideally specific places to look at but more generally I'd love to know the best part of the city to stay in within the price range.

Also any tips at all on places to see, clubs to go, shrooms, weed, etc would be great.

I have done a search but it yielded pretty dated results and still didn't answer my questions.

Cheeeers!

Go - Coffee shops

Stay - HIGH!
Reply 21
Original post by rosebud122
i am going with friends in july and we are staying at the International Budget Hostel - it is really good value and in a good location quite central. i can't remember the exact price but it was less than 25 euros a night in a 4-bed dorm. it has also been recommended by several guide books :smile:

I think I went in there to ask directions to another hostel. Pretty much slap bang in the red light district :colone:
This is weird, I'm going on exactly the same dates as you.
Reply 23
Original post by SuperRape
This is weird, I'm going on exactly the same dates as you.

Haha, where are you staying/what's your plan? You're not flying easyjet from stansted are you? That would be freaky.
We are flying easyjet! but from Gatwick... We're staying in the Flying Pig Downtown and our general plan is to get high look at naked ladies, how about you? These coincidences are unnerving.
Reply 25
Original post by SuperRape
We are flying easyjet! but from Gatwick... We're staying in the Flying Pig Downtown and our general plan is to get high look at naked ladies, how about you? These coincidences are unnerving.

especially as your name is SuperRape.....

Flying Pig is the best hostel
Reply 26
We're like a 20 min tram from the centre, our plan is to get high, possibly take shrooms. I want to hit some jokes clubs but the American will probably want to do lame pub crawls, we'll see. Also some cultural stuff. The highlight may well be shrooms though.

Yo shrooms are illegal in Amsterdam.. do you have any idea on where to buy them in amsterdam? Do coffee shops still sell them?
Original post by Cypriots
Yo shrooms are illegal in Amsterdam.. do you have any idea on where to buy them in amsterdam? Do coffee shops still sell them?

So is Cannabis ...
Also any tips at all on places to see, clubs to go, shrooms, weed, etc would be great.
Cheeeers!

Hey, i've been Amsterdam twice so will try and help...

Already see you've booked a hostel. I would have highly recomended the white tulip. Great location etc but never mind. Only mentioning it for other people that are reading...

Places to go:
Science mueseum = EPIC win
Hill street blues: Best coffee shop in the city. Hands down. It's the one where the inside is COVERED in graffiti. Go downstaris and there's these epically comfy sofas with double doors open to the river... Their brownies = awesome.
Sex mueseum: It's not that big but it's a right laugh to go to...
Party Kings pub crawl: It is a bit over the top and cliche but is good to show some of the good pubs/clubs around the city. Starts at the irish pub just down from white tulip

Places to avoid:
Torture mueseum: Biggest load of balls, Paid a load of money to go in and spend 15 minutes and we did the entire place and got bored.
Bull dog coffee shops: Overly commercial coffee shops with "the crap weed" accoridng to the druggie guy we went to Amsterdam with... And they were like 50% mroe expensive...

If you have random questions about Amsterdam do ask me...
I forgotten a lot in this post...

I'm not allowed back in Cafe good times though, i MAY have been slightly ill over the entire cafe... :colondollar:
Reply 29

Just look out for the shops with strictly no magic mushrooms sold here signs in the window.
We're like a 20 min tram from the centre, our plan is to get high, possibly take shrooms. I want to hit some jokes clubs but the American will probably want to do lame pub crawls, we'll see. Also some cultural stuff. The highlight may well be shrooms though.

Shrooms do sound interesting, but I've never tried them before so not sure what will happen. Apparently there's this great place on the Red Light District called the banana bar and well... I imagine you can piece the rest together
Anyone know of any cheap hotels, I want a flight there in the next few days, but hotels are at like £200 for 2 nights?

Try what we did www.airbnb.com this was the only cheap method which didn't involve sleeping in a room full of randoms. I'm hoping it will be more interesting/immersive than a standard hostel/hotel room.

Thank you :cool:
Reply 33
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
So is Cannabis ...

Shrooms are illegal to grow. Cannabis isnt.
A nice, comfy place to stay in Amsterdam.

The Absolute Suite
Shrooms are illegal to grow. Cannabis isnt.

hmmmmm ... 2 points
(1) You are wrong; it is illegal to grow cannabis in the Netherlands. Tolerated? Yes ! Legal? no.
(2) I am not entirely convinced that the OP is a keen horticulturist and is intending to visit the Netherlands in order to grow some plants.
Reply 36
Hahaha sounds very dubious. I really hope the shroom thing works out, can anyone tell me just how difficult they are to find (shrooms or truffles)..

ah yes the Banana Bar, i remember it well. Harry **** the funny doorman luring passers by in with "Come in boysh its not shmelly yet".

Shrooms are easy enough to find. There are head shops all over the red light district selling them just look out for the signs saying no magic mushrooms here.
Reply 37
Original post by n00
ah yes the Banana Bar, i remember it well. Harry **** the funny doorman luring passers by in with "Come in boysh its not shmelly yet".

Shrooms are easy enough to find. There are head shops all over the red light district selling them just look out for the signs saying no magic mushrooms here.

Excellent news :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest