The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by Dekota-XS
Proof that he was shot?

Proof that he wasn't?
Original post by Psuedo
He should have been tried and punished by an international criminal court.

Discuss.

if they captured him, people would go after him, increasing terror risks
what other kind of punishment to you propose
we knew he was guilty
what jury is ever going to find him innocent?
the soldiers would have been at a lot more risk trying to get him out alive, what about security?
personally, i think it would have caused a greater uproar but according to my mother i am 'very harsh' in most of my opinions
As I understand it, he was shot and killed in a fire fight/ stand-off, and not executed. There's a difference
Reply 1803
Yes and no.

Yes he shouldn't have been shot he should have been tortured like hell, not for interrogation purposes but, because he sure as hell deserves it.
I would've rather seen him tried, as I'm against any form of assasination/capital punishment.

However, in that situation I don't think the US military had much choice. Also, Bin Laden always said he was going to kill himself if it ever came to it; his bodyguard always carried an extra bullet to kill Bin Laden.
Reply 1805
Original post by Alison1992
if they captured him, people would go after him, increasing terror risks
what other kind of punishment to you propose
we knew he was guilty
what jury is ever going to find him innocent?
the soldiers would have been at a lot more risk trying to get him out alive, what about security?
personally, i think it would have caused a greater uproar but according to my mother i am 'very harsh' in most of my opinions

omg ur the first person who has exact same gcses as me
Original post by Psuedo
Proof that he wasn't?

I think the "proof that he was" in a more important question.

"My hair is blonde".
"Proof that it is?"
"Here you go! *insert picture* "
"Cool story bro".

Proof given.

"OBL's been shot."
"Proof that he was?"
"The newspapers tell me SO IT MUST BE TRUE! :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: "

No proof given.

See how this works?
Original post by Psuedo

Discuss.

Because he was going to get a fair trial, anywhere, ever?
Original post by Dekota-XS
Proof that he was shot?

I am so bored of these baseless conspiracy theories.
You're wrong. I'm glad his head got blasted like a watermelon. Nothing less would suffice for 9/11. What's a better talking point is why they dumped his body at sea so quickly. Something isn't quite right there..............
Reply 1810
Original post by Drunk Punx

"My hair is blonde".
"Proof that it is?"
"Here you go! *insert picture* "
"Cool story bro".

Proof given.

"OBL's been shot."
"Proof that he was?"
"The newspapers tell me SO IT MUST BE TRUE! :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: "

No proof given.

See how this works?

Wasn't really the newspapers though was it... It was in fact a leader of a powerful nation.
Reply 1811
Are you guys familliar with the Nuremberg Trials. These were again, bad men who we knew had done bad things. They all got a trial though. The location of his trial would not have had to been made public, all that needed to be known was that we don't operate under the same rules as terrorists.
Reply 1812
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
What's a better talking point is why they dumped his body at sea so quickly. Something isn't quite right there..............

Very convenient propoganda.
If you think that it would have been for the greater good that he was taken alive (something which would have ultimately led to many more deaths), you should have been shot along with him.

There was no need for a trial, and the world is better off without him locked up somewhere in some legal sexytimes that would have led to all manners of shenanigans.
Original post by Drunk Punx

While i would usually agree with you.. your example's don't really fit.

It's not like they have just said 'he was shot btw' and left it at that.. there is a lot of talk in the news via officials and Obama himself that he was shot.. so i would take that as a reasonable 'excuse' to say the opinion he was shot is that that does not need justification?

I mean, ye, obviously people don't always believe everything they read in the news. (Some people take that WAY too far btw) .. but still.
Reply 1815
He should've been tried, yes. But in that situation, it was either loss of American lives or kill him
If he went into custody there would be an increase in terror risks and hostages being held for the release of Bin Laden.
Original post by Puma
Wasn't really the newspapers though was it... It was in fact a leader of a powerful nation.

May I remind you that the former leader of said powerful nation (assuming you're talking about Obama) was in power when 9/11 happened.
The conspiracy theories are still in debate and the truth is never likely to be known.

My point was that taking everything that anyone tells you at face value without question is naive.
Nah.
Reply 1819
Original post by Psuedo

Discuss.

Could't be done. Would have lead to loads of kidnappings to try to bargain for him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending