The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from unsuccessful --> offer?

Is it possible that some universities make mistakes?
Has anyone ever had their 'unsuccessful' change to an offer after emailing a uni, if they've made a mistake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I did :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jono300

Original post by Jono300
Is it possible that some universities make mistakes?
Has anyone ever had their 'unsuccessful' change to an offer after emailing a uni, if they've made a mistake?

Definitely. Happened to me, so yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yes, I did :smile:

What did you do to make it change? Or was it because the university made a mistake?
Reply 4
Original post by *Hakz*
Definitely. Happened to me, so yes.

Same question as above :smile:
Reply 5
Yes it is.

Don't neccessarily bank on it though, sometime if they won't change it they may offer you/person involved another course which is similar..
Reply 6
i did - but i was unsuccessful because i didn't attend an interview that i didn't know existed.
they rearranged it and offered me a place afterwards : )
Reply 7
Original post by Jono300
What did you do to make it change? Or was it because the university made a mistake?

I didn't do anything, after I informed them of a mistake on my application they made a reassessment and UCAS changed from unsuccessful to conditional the same day as they gave everyone else an offer after going to an open day. The only problem will be if you have withdrawn / firmed.
This happened twice to my brother this year - UEA forgot to notify him of an interview, so rejected him, and Manchester made a simple admin error and sent the wrong reply to UCAS. Both reversed their decisions once they'd realised/been told.
Reply 9
Back in 2008, I got rejected by St Andrews (this wasn't a mistake). I somehow managed to get them to change their mind by phoning them and shamelessly arguing my case!
Reply 10
Well, I just know my agent did... but not sure about others
Reply 11
Original post by Becca-Sarah
This happened twice to my brother this year - UEA forgot to notify him of an interview, so rejected him, and Manchester made a simple admin error and sent the wrong reply to UCAS. Both reversed their decisions once they'd realised/been told.

was this for medicine
Original post by edwarda
was this for medicine

Nursing.
Reply 13
Something like that happened, i received a letter from the uni, saying this 'we received a copy of your UCAS blah blah blah we are pleased to see that you have included our course as one of your choices blah blah blah...A formal letter will be sent to you,in due course, by the university offering you a place...' yh i read that and was like :biggrin:, den today it came unsuccessful :confused: . What should i do? i thought i was gonna get a place.
Reply 14
Original post by Kimdimzaum
Something like that happened, i received a letter from the uni, saying this 'we received a copy of your UCAS blah blah blah we are pleased to see that you have included our course as one of your choices blah blah blah...A formal letter will be sent to you,in due course, by the university offering you a place...' yh i read that and was like :biggrin:, den today it came unsuccessful :confused: . What should i do? i thought i was gonna get a place.
Ring them up and ask them what's happened. They may have made a mistake - either in sending you the original letter, or in sending through an 'unsuccessful' decision - but you won't know either way unless you get in touch with them and ask.
Reply 15
Original post by TheOFactor
Back in 2008, I got rejected by St Andrews (this wasn't a mistake). I somehow managed to get them to change their mind by phoning them and shamelessly arguing my case!

Impressive! Are you studying there now?
Reply 16
Original post by Minerva

Wow! I love your colourful subheadings/user title thingys. :puppyeyes:
Reply 17
Original post by Kimdimzaum
oh thanks Minerva, but do you reckon that i did not get the place, i will be optimist and think that they sent wrong in the ucas, cause you cant send someone a letter with all the course details and saying that a formal will be sent offering you a place by mistake :s-smilie: I am just gutted :frown:. thanks anyway
If they said they were going to make you an offer, then at the very least they would need to explain why they changed their mind - if indeed they did! Ring them tomorrow and see what they say.
Reply 18
Yeah but it wasnt a mistake for me.

I rang up and spoke to the guy and he changed his mind.
Didnt take the offer though..
Reply 19
Original post by TheOFactor

Out of interest, how did you do that. As in, what did you tell them to make them change their minds?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending