The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1
I agree with everyone's ideas of him causing an increase in terror risks if taken alive, but does nobody think, if take into custody, we could have learnt things from him which couldve helped defeat the remaining al Qaeda?

Of course people think that. But who says he'd talk?
Original post by jkwc
But with him being killed countries are putting their security on high alert as they are worried his followers might retaliate back

'retaliate back' is a rather redundant phrase...

Don't you think the chance of an increase in activity regardless was always on the cards? If they'd captured him then there would be risk of hostage situations on planes, in buildings, etc...

There are down sides no matter which way you go.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
As I understand it, he was shot and killed in a fire fight/ stand-off, and not executed. There's a difference

He was unarmed and holding a woman as a human shield.

They could have brought him in if they really wanted to.
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Of course people think that. But who says he'd talk?

Just curious because no one seemed to have mentioned it. And I'm sure there are people that could've made him talk. Torture may be banned under human rights but no one would have to know. They would have made sure they found a way to make him talk.
Original post by Psuedo
He should have been tried and punished by an international criminal court.

Discuss.

Completely agree. It should be a basic human right to have the chance to be tried in court, just shooting in the head is wrong.
Too risky. This man had connections, it would have been too easy for him to slip through our hands once again as we captured him.
Also, why should he have the dignity of a trial when most of his innocent victims were murdered without warning for no reason other than they were in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Reply 1846
Original post by History-Student
It was 25 soldiers involved, wasn't it? Give them a million each.

But as state employees they're probably ineligible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13270926
'More than a dozen'

Also, it's not just the people who go in and do the shooting. It's also the people who work 12 hours a day on a computer getting information about the houses and creating images and diagrams to help the soldiers know what the houses look like and have information about how high the walls are and how many rooms there are. It's the people who fly the helicopters and doctors who come in at 4am to give special treatment to these types of soldiers.

In short, it's not just the actors who are involved in a film, it's all the people you see in the credits.
should'da cremated him, couldn't have been resurrected for the afterlife then, ha. (speaking as an atheist however)
Reply 1848
Original post by Drewski
Islamic code dictates body should be cleaned and buried within 24hrs of death. US wanted to avoid him being any more of a martyr than he already is and not give supporters a pilgrimage/shrine/focal point, burial at sea fulfilled both parts.

What's sketchy?

Indeed, I agree. It also means fanatics can also not worship a specific site and it means lack of threats/kidnappings in demand for the body.

Sketchy as I believe some sort of evidence of it being dumped would be nice.

Original post by sparky86
Is he really in control of anything he says though? More like a puppet on a string who does what he's told to enable him to keep his status.

Keep his status??? He was hated a few weeks back...
Original post by Gryffindor
Completely agree. It should be a basic human right to have the chance to be tried in court, just shooting in the head is wrong.

And if someone chooses not to take this right up..?

As has been frequently reported, he said that they'd never take him alive and that his bodyguards were told and prepared to kill him rather than allow his capture.
Original post by sparky86
Is he really in control of anything he says though? More like a puppet on a string who does what he's told to enable him to keep his status.

I think if Obama was found to be lying he'd have America to worry about let alone al qaeda

Bin laden is dead. Get over it
Original post by Gryffindor

If you've got people shooting at you the last thing on your mind is their basic human rights...
Who else thinks, given the news that photos are more likely than not to be released, that once they are.. a new wave of conspiracy theories will arise about them?
Reply 1853
He shoulda been tortured day and night for every ounce of information that could be extracted, over and over, maybe he would understand a tiny part of the pain him and his little pussy bandits have caused.

But I know that woulda never happened, such a little wimp using a woman as a human shield. :angry: Such a coward.

I wonder whether the seal that shot him in the head shouted 'Boom headshot'. Hopefully :colone:
Reply 1854
Original post by Puma
Keep his status??? He was hated a few weeks back...

Not anymore.
Reply 1855
Glad they shot the ****er. Killing him sends a more powerful message. We need to be completely ruthless with these fanatics, its the only way.
hmm...I'm really not sure about this one. It makes me very uncomfortable that they just shot him, as I am inclined to think that the Americans probably decided that they were going to kill him if they could and I am pretty firmly against capital punishment. But at the same time I cna see the arguements as to why its best for him to be dead.

I guess one way of looking at this is in the context of whether this was a war or whether he was simply a criminal. Because in a war there are casualties, you are fighting for your life and you don't generally stop to have trials. I think America think they are at war, Al Quieda probably as well. But if he is just a criminal then he should be tried.
Original post by Psuedo
He should have been tried and punished by an international criminal court.

Discuss.

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as that.

The two teams of Navy Seals were engaged in a firefight for forty minutes. They had no chance to enact a "Come out, you wont be shot!" method.

When the Seals were fired upon, they retaliated as any force would.

In the firefight, his guards were killed as they got to his room.

The man would never have surrendered. He'd have killed himself anyway.

I'm sure they would have preferred having him in Custody, but that brings its own problems too.

There was nothing that could be done. I'm afraid.
Original post by Square
questioning every tiny minutiae of everything is equally stupid.

There's nothing wrong with skepticism.

Original post by Puma
I know full well what you read isn't always true.

However, the President of the USA confirmed the death of said individual to the whole world. No way he would risk a lie (which hardly benefits him), his whole nation would be a laughing stock.

They set out to find a man, it took them long enough and they found him. I see no big drama. The burial of the body is sketchy though...

I half-heartedly believe he is dead. **** it, I want to believe he is dead just so it puts an end to this "Is he? Isn't he?" bs.

But there are questions:
How did he die? I've heard 4 different accounts of how he died, each as plausible as the other.
Given that he was apparently living in a mansion in Pakistani village that had a military training centre in, how was he not found sooner? Why now?
Why are there no pictures or other proof of his death rather than just what someone has said?

Undoubtedly answers will come, but seeing as everyone has a different opinion on what happened then it's hard to separate fact from fiction.

NB: I'm not a conspiracy nutter by any stretch of the imagination. I like hard factual evidence for shiz, not contradicting opinions.
Think of the amount of people who would be kidnapped to bargain for him, the rescue attempts, the court circus, the truths Bin Laden would say when he was trained and armed by the CIA to fight the Soviets in the 80s in Afghanistan, the fact that the US were on Pakistani soil and so an arrest could be considered unlawful... much easier to shoot him and there were enough in the US government who wanted blood vengeance

He was an evil bastard. I have no sympathy
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending