The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bobifier
don't carphone warehouse sell a lot of phones unlocked anyway? You might not even need to pay for it...

Indeed they do, so that they don't have to have multiple versions of the same phone for different carriers.
Reply 4901
Original post by Mad Vlad
Carrier unlocking does not void the hardware warranty for the phone.

Cheers, i think i may get the 02 one and unlock it as tmobile have offered me a decent £5 a month contract

Whats the best place to get them unlocked, market? or are their easier and cheaper ways to do it?

Original post by Bobifier
don't carphone warehouse sell a lot of phones unlocked anyway? You might not even need to pay for it...

yeah but its £400 in the carphonewarehouse +they dont have any stock atm and only £360 on payg from 02
Original post by designuk
Cheers, i think i may get the 02 one and unlock it as tmobile have offered me a decent £5 a month contract

Whats the best place to get them unlocked, market? or are their easier and cheaper ways to do it?

yeah but its £400 in the carphonewarehouse +they dont have any stock atm and only £360 on payg from 02

You can get them done in the market, or there may be online services available to do it. :smile:
Original post by designuk

You can ask o2 for an unlock code I think, but that may just be on contracts

However, every o2 phone I've ever had has been unlocked... I thought it was only Orange/Vodafone that lock/brand phones

What the hell? How does that work if they have the same CPU (although the Galaxy S II looks as if it has a seperate GPU)?

I'd still rather get the HTC than a Samsung though :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4906
Original post by IGetGully
You can ask o2 for an unlock code I think, but that may just be on contracts

However, every o2 phone I've ever had has been unlocked... I thought it was only Orange/Vodafone that lock/brand phones

What the hell? How does that work if they have the same CPU (although the Galaxy S II looks as if it has a seperate GPU)?

I'd still rather get the HTC than a Samsung though :redface:

Well i will speak to someone in the o2 shop on tuesday and hopefully they can tell me. I'm tempted to get the galaxy s2 as its only £400 on o2 payg and with £5 a month contract thats not bad over time but i want the arc because of the camera, its look and the screen.

I still think that sense is the best ui but maybe thats because im used to it
Original post by G8D
Don't think they have the same processor.

ah my bad, thought I read "also packing the same processor, the HTC Sensation"
I'm on my 3rd Optimus 2X now! :rofl:

Damn things keep on freezing on me. Still, at least P4U are really good at swapping within first 28 days (prays this one is fine though). If not, think I'll just sell it and buy an S2.
Original post by mikeyd85

Damn things keep on freezing on me. Still, at least P4U are really good at swapping within first 28 days (prays this one is fine though). If not, think I'll just sell it and buy an S2.

What the hell are you doing to them :-o
Original post by wizard710
What the hell are you doing to them :-o

Charging them from the mains... :rolleyes: It seems that half of them work fine, the rest are just terrible...

SoGA it and get an S2.
Original post by Mad Vlad
SoGA it and get an S2.

I shall do if this third one goes wrong.
from a non-rooting point of view, what's better the samsung galaxy s2 or htc sensation? I say non-rooting point of view because i expect much of the reason why the s2 has got everyone drooling is because of the raw processing power as opposed to what the phone comes in stock - what else sets apart the s2 from the sensation?
I shall do if this third one goes wrong.

what in the world possessed you to buy an LG? :p:
Ok, so does anyone know why the Desire doesn't have 2.3 firmware yet?
Original post by G8D
S2 only had power.
Sensation has a better UI and better aesthetics.

My views on the Sensation are purely opinion, obviously.

so i'm guessing you'd go for the sensation?
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

from a non-rooting point of view, what's better the samsung galaxy s2 or htc sensation? I say non-rooting point of view because i expect much of the reason why the s2 has got everyone drooling is because of the raw processing power as opposed to what the phone comes in stock - what else sets apart the s2 from the sensation?

Well you're going to get different responses from different people (obviously) but I'd go with the galaxy S 2. I know they have slightly different internals (in terms of the GPU/CPU(?)) but they are clocked the same (1.2ghz). For an average consumer, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference between the two performances.

From a build standpoint, the GS2 is thinner and lighter and some people might not like that and want a sturdier, heavier Sensation. Personally after owning the Captivate as my first Android phone, I will go straight for the Galaxy S 2. One of the main benefits of having a phone that is very light and made of plastic is the fact that it has almost no mass.
This means you'll be able to drop it multiple times without it really breaking. It's made of plastic and plastic will do a great job at absorbing impact. Other phones like the iPhone 4 feel great in the hand and are of good build quality, however many people drop them one time and they break because they are made of glass/aluminium, which although feel great make the phone too strong and not touch enough.

Strength: How much it can withstand force before bending/breaking
Toughness: How much it can bend without breaking.
eg: Glass = high strength, low toughness. Hard to bend but if you do, it will break.
Reply 4918
Original post by Absinth
Help!

Trying to download this app, but in my notifications screen it's stuck as (1 downloading, 0 downloaded, 0 installed).

Can anyone help? Will rep.

Are you downloading through Wi-Fi or mobile data? Cancel the download from the market, connect to Wi-Fi and retry. If that fails...

what in the world possessed you to buy an LG? :p:

Dual Core CPU
Tegra GPU
£25/month contract with no upfront fees

It's a bloody good phone when it works and I do have the feeling LG is not responsible for the issue. I think it's nVidia's fault, as the Artix and other Tegra devices are having the same issues. Granted, LG can't build an Android ROM for love nor money, but that's where my good friends at Cyanogen come in :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending