The Student Room Group

I need some help in deciding insurance choice

Hello there! I'm new around here, so if this is by any chance the wrong forum, I apologize.

I got acceptances from Bristol, Exeter and Nottingham for an English degree, and one from Kent for English and American Literature with Creative Writing. Now, I've heard some not-very-nice things about Nottingham lately, so that's off my list.

I have trouble deciding which university to make my insurance choice. I'm pretty sure I want Bristol for my firm, but I'm tossing between Exeter and Kent and very frankly am lost. I'm not from England, so I don't even have any direct feedback. Does anyone have some good suggestions as to which univ. is better for English?

Thank you!

*Sorry, 'an' insurance choice in the heading.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
No-one’s said it yet but I will. Don’t say “tossing”, it means w@nking, so “I’m w@nking between Exeter and Kent” brings a whole different image to mind [gee thanks], ok?!

What’s up with Nottingham? I’m thinking of applying there next year. Do you mean the Shottingham thing? That’s old news.
Reply 2
Original post by FigLeaf
No-one’s said it yet but I will. Don’t say “tossing”, it means w@nking, so “I’m w@nking between Exeter and Kent” brings a whole different image to mind [gee thanks], ok?!

To be fair, he/she probably meant it as in 'heads or tails' (i.e. tossing a coin), but yes, it's a slightly disturbing image.:s-smilie:
Reply 3
What are the entry requirements for Exeter and Kent?
and what're you predicted?

Choose the one which has lower entry requirements than your firm.
Original post by FigLeaf

What’s up with Nottingham? I’m thinking of applying there next year. Do you mean the Shottingham thing? That’s old news.

Actually, it means 'throwing' and more specifically refers to a casual, light throw. So OP is using it correctly and you're the one who has butchered the English language.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
Actually, it means 'throwing' and more specifically refers to a casual, light throw. So OP is using it correctly and you're the one who has butchered the English language.

If the OED is to be believed, the earliest usage in that sense dates back to 1592. Just saying...
Reply 6
Original post by Emmargh
Choose the one which has lower entry requirements than your firm.

I am sure I will more or less meet my predicted grades. I care more about the course content.

*Nervously glances at all the responses* Wow, English really is the most controversial language I've ever come across! I apologize if I disturbed anyone.

I still haven't got a very helpful answer yet :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by FigLeaf

Haha! Shottingham! No, it's not that. Trust me, I come from a city that is almost one hundred times worse, so I have no issues with the level of safety. I just heard that its standards had dropped a little; moreover, when I checked the brochure, the course seemed a tad inflexible. I didn't like the content very much.
Reply 8
Original post by lithium20
I am sure I will more or less meet my predicted grades. I care more about the course content.
Well, the point is that you'll only actually need your insurance choice if you miss your Bristol offer. So ideally it should be lower than your firm choice, to give you a bit of a leeway, otherwise you may end up getting rejected by both your choices - and English isn't the easiest of subjects to find places in Clearing for.

If you've been given the same conditions for all of your offers, Exeter probably won't make much sense as an insurance choice, because they're quite oversubscribed. So if you fail to meet your offer conditions that normally means you're out (although I suppose there's a chance that they may be inclined to be more lenient with overseas students). I'd say Kent would be a wiser backup choice, from a purely practical point of view.

If you want to base your decision on course contents, the obvious question would be how badly you want to do creative writing and/or American literature, but only you can answer that, really.:dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by hobnob
If you want to base your decision on course contents, the obvious question would be how badly you want to do creative writing and/or American literature, but only you can answer that, really.:dontknow:

Haha. I think I messed up my sentence there (BIG oops!). What I want to know is the quality of teaching at both the schools.
Reply 10

*Nervously glances at all the responses* Wow, English really is the most controversial language I've ever come across! I apologize if I disturbed anyone.

I still haven't got a very helpful answer yet :frown:

No, this is just TSR, people are so pedantic on here. I just ignore it.

Here's some advice :smile:
1. Look at both of the courses again, look closely at the content and the modules VERY closely, find the course with the most modules that seem the most interesting/appealing to you

2. See if you can go abroad (it's attractive to employers to find that you've got some balls and are brave enough to take the plunge and visit somewhere new)

3. Look to see if they offer work placements, employers love to see this on CV's.

If they're both 50-50 after all of this, then try UniStats and have a look at the reviews :smile:
here's the link
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Emmargh
2. See if you can go abroad (it's attractive to employers to find that you've got some balls and are brave enough to take the plunge and visit somewhere new)

Erm, but we're still talking about English degrees here, right?:erm: I mean, how much of a brave plunge is it to go from one English-speaking country to another?
Reply 12
Original post by Emmargh

I've already been to England :tongue: In fact, I'm going again next week, but I only have time to visit two universities. Bristol is one of them. That's why I need to know whether I'd like Kent or Exeter better. I haven't seen either, and frankly I just want to know which has a better repuation (in general) for English.

Thanks a lot, everyone!
Reply 13
I've already been to England :tongue: In fact, I'm going again next week, but I only have time to visit two universities. Bristol is one of them. That's why I need to know whether I'd like Kent or Exeter better. I haven't seen either, and frankly I just want to know which has a better repuation (in general) for English.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

I absolutely despise the league tables because I think that they're inaccurate (in my optinon) some people on TSR absolutely swear by them, I'll find the link and you can have a look for yourself. Just check out UniStats as well (i gave the link before, or you could just google it), they have information on there too about student experiences ect. I'd reccommend it.

Here's the link to the times league tables but they don't have one for individual subjects, however, the guardian does, have a look;

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-english
Reply 14
Original post by hobnob
Erm, but we're still talking about English degrees here, right?:erm: I mean, how much of a brave plunge is it to go from one English-speaking country to another?

You CAN go to universities in other countries which don't speak English, you know. I can't name them because 1. There's too many and 2. I couldn't possibly name some if i wanted to :P It gives you a chance to travel and learn about a different culture ect, i find it really exciting :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Emmargh
You CAN go to universities in other countries which don't speak English, you know. I can't name them because 1. There's too many and 2. I couldn't possibly name some if i wanted to :P It gives you a chance to travel and learn about a different culture ect, i find it really exciting :smile:

Ah OK, I may have misunderstood you there. I thought you were referring to the English and American Studies course, for which the obvious destination for a year abroad would be the US.
Reply 16
Original post by Emmargh
I absolutely despise the league tables because I think that they're inaccurate (in my optinon) some people on TSR absolutely swear by them, I'll find the link and you can have a look for yourself. Just check out UniStats as well (i gave the link before, or you could just google it), they have information on there too about student experiences ect. I'd reccommend it.

Here's the link to the times league tables but they don't have one for individual subjects, however, the guardian does, have a look;

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-english

Thank you, but they both show very different opinions about the two unis :tongue: Either way, I think I'm leaning towards Kent, since it IS my safety. Has anyone been there and got some firsthand experience as to how good the teaching is?
Reply 17
Thank you, but they both show very different opinions about the two unis :tongue: Either way, I think I'm leaning towards Kent, since it IS my safety. Has anyone been there and got some firsthand experience as to how good the teaching is?

I'd probably ask that question on the University of Kent Forum :smile: You'll get a more accurant response AND there will probably be more people on there who'll have been to open days, who are already there, ect :smile:
Good Luck.
Reply 18
Thank you very much, everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending