The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Stefan1991
Yes because we all believe that story that wasn't just made up to make them look bad :rolleyes: And to excuse shooting a defenceless woman :rolleyes:

Christ aren't people so naive they lap up the stuff the government tell them.

Why would you storm the house of a frail unarmed defenceless old man to murder him but then try to be so careful and considerate by fulfilling his wishes and giving him a proper burial? Massive contradiction.

First of all - on what assumption is he frail?
Secondly we don't know if he was unarmed, but his guards certainly weerent.
Thirdly its because of the Islamic faith, if you don't respect someone's death then it is gravely disrespectful and could end with even worse consequences. Plus he had to be buried within 24 hours, and Saudi Arabia didn't want his body and they didn't want to lay him to rest.
They've been planning his death and what they'd do with the body for months - and consulted many Islamic experts on the topic and they all said that that was the most appropriate way to lay him to rest if there was no suitable land alternative - and Saudi Arabia (the place of his birth) didn't want him.
Lastly just because they rushed through his house doesn't mean that they can't be respectful of his body in death. Would you have preferred if they knocked on the door and asked Mr Frail Old Man to be taken by hostage, pretty please?

It's not a contradiction - it's what you do in an exceptional circumstance.
What else could they have done? Dumped his body in the tip?
Get real.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LawBore
So, whether they release photos or not you still won't believe it? Why, then, should they even bother?

Pfft, why should we believe photo evidence? I for one don't even believe Communist China even exists, I've only ever seen photos and videos of it which are all obviously Photoshopped. It's all a hoax to keep us in line and take away our manufacturing industry and give it to the Germans! The Kuomintang is obviously still in power and they still subsist on a mostly agrarian economy.

Oh, and Hitler died in 1979 in exile in Peru and not in the Fuhrerbunker - no photographic evidence.
(edited 12 years ago)
A healthy level of critical thinking about the government is one thing, but it seems like half the people on this thread are suffering from massive paranoia.

If he wasn't dead, the USA would be ****ed when it came out that they were lying. The losses would be too big to make it worth lying to begin with.
He's dead.
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
As I understand it, he was shot and killed in a fire fight/ stand-off, and not executed. There's a difference

BBC news have reported today that Osama was unarmed....

Why do you think they are delaying the release of footage from the helmet cams, it's because it was a full out execution by a bunch of gung ho rednecks.
Reply 1985
Original post by Addzter

Original post by Addzter
I'm pretty certain they're going to release photographs. Whilst they're understandably nervous about the pictures having the potential to inflame the situation, I think those nerves are outweighed by the fact that the public seeing Bin Laden's corpse - the USA's sworn enemy since 9/11 - will really give the government a boost (and put to rest somewhat the potentially damaging conspiracy theories).

I find it rather unsavoury that they feel it necessary to show off pictures of a dead body, especially for such bloodthirsty and idiotic purposes. It reminds me of sticking murderers' heads on poles in a town village. The US government should retain more dignity than that.
Original post by Tommyjw
Not sure how he has died, haven't listened in about it for a good half a day so not sure that the 'latest official' thing is about it. All i know about the latest news is that he 'resisted but was not armed'

Well according to a lot of people (including important US officials) there is no way he could of been hiding. Someone somewhere in Pakistan knew and helped. The area he lived in required people to essentially 'sign in and sign out' so unless those military were directly involved... he basically never left.
(Plus a article from wikileaks states that the US knew Pakistan were helping him., something like that)

Pictures are coming, don't worry. I do agree we need them. But tbh.. 1) The conspiracy theorists will find reasons to not believe the pictures & 2) I do honestly see the logic behind not showing them.

Don't take this the wrong way, i'm not saying you are stupid for asking the questions. Just trying to make more sense of some of the questions some people are asking.

Agreed.
The conspiracy theorists will say something like..ohh why take so long to release it?..oohh Photoshop etc etc etc..
And of course, by releasing the photos they will infuriate the extremist islamist groups
Original post by vilongo
That's your problem though: you're speculating on mere opinion than reading about the actual situation. I understsnd that skepticism needs to be applied when speaking of politics, but the information being circulated doesn't jjust come in text, it comes in video and pictures. The problem in releasing these things is that the its q risk to do so since we still live in countries that sustain these extremist. Though I think me and you would agree that living in fear isn't exactly our choose of Joe, we also must consider these presumed retaliation scenarios, and the lives thst might be taken. I honestly do believe that they should release these pictures and videos. I just don't think that reasons that might not suffice our expectation are reasons in itself to not at least give credence to the information beobg circulated . I had strong doubts myself about his death. Now I'm more wondering when they're going to release these videos.

What videos are you talking about?
You're talking as if they definitely exist, but how do you know for sure? Because you were told that they do by the same people who told us that he's dead? Marvellous :rolleyes:

I'm going to remain dubious until I see concrete evidence of his death.
Original post by Psuedo
He should have been tried and punished by an international criminal court.

Discuss.

And what should have been his punishment life imprisonment out in two years for good behaviour, or maybe plead insanity so bleeding heart liberal tits like you would go "ahh it wasnt his fault put the poor little thing in a nice padded room then let him run in the sunshine"

And who would try him, theres not a country in the world who wouldnt be biased against him?

And how do you guard against international agencies finding out where he is and either freeing him or taking him out.

They shot him and that was better than he deserved.

Original post by Psuedo
Are you guys familliar with the Nuremberg Trials. These were again, bad men who we knew had done bad things. They all got a trial though. The location of his trial would not have had to been made public, all that needed to be known was that we don't operate under the same rules as terrorists.

Oh please the nuremberg trials were a farce - the outcomes never in doubt - not to mention it was a lynch mob hiding behind legailty.

I dread the day people like you get into power with your softy softy approach, youl be making prisons into five star hotels and turning murderers and rapists outwithin hours.
yh i want evidence, so do alot of real americans and so do the taliban
Reply 1991
It now appears that he was unarmed .Why not shoot him in the leg and give him a trial if he even was responsible for 9/11?
Reply 1992
Original post by medic_armadillo7
I don't think this current US administration set out to kill Osama Bin Laden, only to parade his dead body to everyone to show off their trophy kill! Plus in order to minimise, any backlash from his followers, they had 24 hours to give him an islamic burial as is stated by the religion.

Water burial is not part of the Islamic relgion. The 24hour excuse is bull****.

Personally, I believe he already died of natural causes, or is alive and well (and known about by US government, although that theories a bit far fetched).
Original post by Drunk Punx
You're talking as if they definitely exist, but how do you know for sure? Because you were told that they do by the same people who told us that he's dead? Marvellous :rolleyes:

The Taliban have acknowledged and according to officials even the Al Qaeda are preparing to acknowledge it.

Plus i'm still yet to see why people think Obama would lie so easily. He is not lying about what he ate for breakfast.. he is on about killing the world's most wanted man. If it wasn't true then he would lose his presidency next year and the country as a whole would be embarrassed. Especially given these idiots who think they haven't even found him.. do they realize how EASILY Osama could just pop up in a video and embarrass the HELL out of America?

I understand a need for pure evidence. But every single thing points to it being the truth. Everything that has been said or done is logical + factual and all points to one thing with not one thing to say that anything is wrong.
Original post by Psuedo
He should have been tried and punished by an international criminal court.

Discuss.

Yes, yes, yes!

He was unarmed. That's murder in my books.
Reply 1995
Original post by Drunk Punx

Troll #2939298

If youd like to exercise your pyrrhonism, by all means brah.... it's your right as an extraordinary philosopher--yes you are--to enlighten me, and your prespectively retarded peers about suspending judgment, and reconfiguring our minds to think in "what-ifs". Of course, you have so persuaded me to think in a matter of fact pattern, since in sure everybody, plus the army who "supposedly" killed osama, probably should have doubts about someones death that fateful night. Some how, I feel like I'm the only one, along with you maybe, that actually knows that not knowing what I hear is an expedient method to find the truth. I feel as though everybodys judgement is totally irrational, and that they are all interpreting knowledge the way "other" people want them to think. God I so didn't know that. Thanks a lot brah, you really brighten up my day.

Don't really understand why any of this is bothering you ...

1) Nothing to do with us, about the supposed 'torture' of people in the past. It is story for the want of a stor. It says it itself 'There clearly was no smoking gun of a direct correlation between waterboarding and finding this suspect'

2) Troops close to them, so what? They need an INCREDIBLY amount of intelligence in order to go in to somewhere for a reason. Even if they did a routine search they had NO REASON to believe anyone of 'importance' was there, thus it would be impossible to search such a 'fortress' without a reasonable direct link as to why.

3) Confusion about the raid and facts about how they got the intelligence he was there, don't understand anything wrong with this at all?

4) Again, don't understand any problem with this. An article ab out him being unarmed.. yes.. we know that already?
Original post by JoeLatics
Yes, yes, yes!

He was unarmed. That's murder in my books.

I'm sorry, were you there?
They have said he was a threat to the forces there. So unless you were one of the navy seals, i seriuously doubt whether you can comment on how 'easily' he could have been captured.

Worlds most wanted man + being a threat (so not knowing what he could do) + already been in 40 minutes of gun fights = shoot him in the head.
Original post by vilongo
Troll #2939298

If youd like to exercise your pyrrhonism, by all means brah.... it's your right as an extraordinary philosopher--yes you are--to enlighten me, and your prespectively retarded peers about suspending judgment, and reconfiguring our minds to think in "what-ifs". Of course, you have so persuaded me to think in a matter of fact pattern, since in sure everybody, plus the army who "supposedly" killed osama, probably should have doubts about someones death that fateful night. Some how, I feel like I'm the only one, along with you maybe, that actually knows that not knowing what I hear is an expedient method to find the truth. I feel as though everybodys judgement is totally irrational, and that they are all interpreting knowledge the way "other" people want them to think. God I so didn't know that. Thanks a lot brah, you really brighten up my day.

Wow, I can tell you woke up on the wrong side of your sister this morning.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me about these videos :colonhash:

Original post by Tommyjw
The Taliban have acknowledged and according to officials even the Al Qaeda are preparing to acknowledge it.

Plus i'm still yet to see why people think Obama would lie so easily. He is not lying about what he ate for breakfast.. he is on about killing the world's most wanted man. If it wasn't true then he would lose his presidency next year and the country as a whole would be embarrassed. Especially given these idiots who think they haven't even found him.. do they realize how EASILY Osama could just pop up in a video and embarrass the HELL out of America?

I understand a need for pure evidence. But every single thing points to it being the truth. Everything that has been said or done is logical + factual and all points to one thing with not one thing to say that anything is wrong.

It's like I said, I want to able to say that he is dead, drinks all round et al, yet I never trust a politician because it's in their nature to bull****.
I agree with everything you say; it makes sense for Obama to not lie, he'd effectively end his career as a politician by doing so.
But then take into account 9/11 and all the theories surrounding how "teh govermentz deed eet!", and y'know... *shrugs*
As I said, I'm not a conspiracy nutter. I just want evidence other than someone elses' say so.
They see him rollin,
They hatin,
Navigating couldn't find him in them 10 years,
and then they shot him with no evidence :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending