The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you email the admissions office to clarify? I did ICSE and most medical schools were alright with my grades.

The best bet would be to email admissions office
-ask them the standard entry requirements saying you've done mechanics already stating what board you're currently studying i.e ISC/CBSE etc.
-In most cases, the 80-85% requirement is the overall average they expect you to obtain in your 12th board exams
Reply 2
Original post by urji21

Original post by urji21
Why don't you email the admissions office to clarify? I did ICSE and most medical schools were alright with my grades.

The best bet would be to email admissions office
-ask them the standard entry requirements saying you've done mechanics already stating what board you're currently studying i.e ISC/CBSE etc.
-In most cases, the 80-85% requirement is the overall average they expect you to obtain in your 12th board exams

i dont know wether they are aware of indian curriculum in 10th,11th and 12th. but 12th definitely doesn't have any mechanics!!!! 12th is electronics and optics. but since i'm applying for mech eng i dont think 12th is that important except for 12th maths.
Reply 3
What's the point? If you had your exams this year, the results will be out in two weeks anyway :-/

Besides that, for those who don't have their results yet, they give conditional offers based on class 10 results, any additional results (I had SATs), personal statement and reference. Once you have obtained an offer, all you need to do is get the required 80-85% overall+in the specified subjects. I don't think UCAS has scope to add non-accredited results, especially because it is not centralized, so they would not know how the student compares with the others as different schools have different standards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hummingbird28
i dont know wether they are aware of indian curriculum in 10th,11th and 12th. but 12th definitely doesn't have any mechanics!!!! 12th is electronics and optics. but since i'm applying for mech eng i dont think 12th is that important except for 12th maths.

Precisely why you should email them asking them the same. Or even better, call the admissions office up and ask them. Have you already applied or are you going to apply this september?
Reply 5
Applied.but i was just wondering about what kind of offers do indians get??
Reply 6
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
What's the point? If you had your exams this year, the results will be out in two weeks anyway :-/

Besides that, for those who don't have their results yet, they give conditional offers based on class 10 results, any additional results (I had SATs), personal statement and reference. Once you have obtained an offer, all you need to do is get the required 80-85% overall+in the specified subjects. I don't think UCAS has scope to add non-accredited results, especially because it is not centralized, so they would not know how the student compares with the others as different schools have different standards.

i don't think SATs matter in uk universities, except for americans .moreover they are equivalent to uk AS levels not A levels.
Reply 7
i don't think SATs matter in uk universities, except for americans .moreover they are equivalent to uk AS levels not A levels.

Well, I took the tests, scored well in them and I got through everywhere I applied. So, no harm done in sending them, right?

I don't know what they are equivalent to, because I don't know what is the A/AS level syllabus. However, most of it was my class 11 and 12 syllabus, only a lot (and ridiculously so) easier.
Reply 8
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
Well, I took the tests, scored well in them and I got through everywhere I applied. So, no harm done in sending them, right?

I don't know what they are equivalent to, because I don't know what is the A/AS level syllabus. However, most of it was my class 11 and 12 syllabus, only a lot (and ridiculously so) easier.

i would say u got in because of your 10th and 12th standard results and personal statement more so
Reply 9
Applied.but i was just wondering about what kind of offers do indians get??

I don't see a signature so I don't know where you're applying. UCL and perhaps some others do not accept Indian results, they require IB or A-levels for international students. For Computer Science, Bristol offer requires me to score 85% overall, Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton asked for 80% overall, English - 75-80%, Mathematics - 80-85%, Physics or Computer Science - 80%.
Reply 10
i would say u got in because of your 10th and 12th standard results and personal statement more so

You could be right, but who knows what brews in their minds :rolleyes: Where are you applying, btw? :smile:
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
I don't see a signature so I don't know where you're applying. UCL and perhaps some others do not accept Indian results, they require IB or A-levels for international students. For Computer Science, Bristol offer requires me to score 85% overall, Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton asked for 80% overall, English - 75-80%, Mathematics - 80-85%, Physics or Computer Science - 80%.

Thanks thats helpful. I'm not applying to ucl though.heard it mechanical dep. Is really bad!!
Bristol sheffield nottingham southampton surrey
Manchester too has few stories about its mech dept. So no chance there
Reply 14
Manchester too has few stories about its mech dept. So no chance there

"Stories" -- please elaborate :smile:

I was more drawn by international rep+what you learn is 20-30% university and rest how much we decide to care about what is going on in class, anyway. :smile: However, I'm still a little iffy about turning down Bristol :colondollar: - I just feel mad to be doing it.
Reply 15
Bristol sheffield nottingham southampton surrey

That suspiciously looks like it's straight out of top 10 Mech Engg from Complete University Guide :tongue: (my choices are straight out of QS world ranking :redface: )
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
"Stories" -- please elaborate :smile:

I was more drawn by international rep+what you learn is 20-30% university and rest how much we decide to care about what is going on in class, anyway. :smile: However, I'm still a little iffy about turning down Bristol :colondollar: - I just feel mad to be doing it.

There's a threads in mech eng which say that manchester mech eng students are dropping out cause they get no help from any one, teachers are not good and a lot more.
Check it in eng forum as " planning to study eng at manchester" or so.
Original post by aankhi

Initially it was, then i considered bath, manchester, .... But then learned a lot about their pros and cons and decided on 5 listed
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
There's a threads in mech eng which say that manchester mech eng students are dropping out cause they get no help from any one, teachers are not good and a lot more.
Check it in eng forum as " planning to study eng at manchester" or so.

Ouch :redface: Well, I was seeing their NSS results, not doing too well for student satisfaction either. My department's doing well minus the "graduate prospects"...but since I don't plan to be anywhere near the bottom of class+want to pursue PG studies afterwards, I'm not too bothered.

I presume your first choice is Bristol. Take a look at the city through Google Maps, using the Street view feature - it's unbelievably pretty! :smile:

Dude i'm telling u bristol is really good. Depends on what u r applying for, really? ????

Latest

Trending

Trending