The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drunk Punx

It's like I said, I want to able to say that he is dead, drinks all round et al, yet I never trust a politician because it's in their nature to bull****.
I agree with everything you say; it makes sense for Obama to not lie, he'd effectively end his career as a politician by doing so.
But then take into account 9/11 and all the theories surrounding how "teh govermentz deed eet!", and y'know... *shrugs*
As I said, I'm not a conspiracy nutter. I just want evidence other than someone elses' say so.

No, i understand.

It's just.. no matter what is said or done their will always be questions,m always be things that cannot tell us or show us and anything they do or don't will flame some conspiracy theories somewhere.

I mean.. what if they released photo's an hour after it happened? It would spark "Way too quick, must have been planned" theories and the like.

I do hope pictures are released though. I mean.. clearly they are going to be a bit brutal.. but surely it isn't hard for news sites + shows to simply say 'turn your kids away' before they show it xD

But then, i guess, a f'ed up face with a gunshot through it isn't the best thing to be put on daily tv . But i'd still rather have that than not.
Original post by Tommyjw
I'm sorry, were you there?
They have said he was a threat to the forces there. So unless you were one of the navy seals, i seriuously doubt whether you can comment on how 'easily' he could have been captured.

Worlds most wanted man + being a threat (so not knowing what he could do) + already been in 40 minutes of gun fights = shoot him in the head.

Can you provide me a source that states that he was a threat to the forces on the night of 1st May? On a preliminary level, the forces entered his compound at 1am on the 1st of May, a time when you least expect a raid and the man was unarmed and may be in a state of shock.
Original post by Tommyjw
No, i understand.

It's just.. no matter what is said or done their will always be questions,m always be things that cannot tell us or show us and anything they do or don't will flame some conspiracy theories somewhere.

I mean.. what if they released photo's an hour after it happened? It would spark "Way too quick, must have been planned" theories and the like.

I do hope pictures are released though. I mean.. clearly they are going to be a bit brutal.. but surely it isn't hard for news sites + shows to simply say 'turn your kids away' before they show it xD

But then, i guess, a f'ed up face with a gunshot through it isn't the best thing to be put on daily tv . But i'd still rather have that than not.

Yeah I know, some people latch onto anything they can in order to prove that their "alternate truth" is correct. If nothing else, conspiracy theories make for good reading :lol:
NWO LULZ!

Yeah, the phrase "too soon" would've been appropriate. But it's been what, 3-4 days since his death? Apparently Obama is deliberating on releasing them. IMO it should be a 5 second decision, but that's just me :ahee:

If they had cleaned his face up after they shot him and taken a picture (yet you can still see the wound) then that would suffice for me. Shove in a short video of the "funeral" and that's case closed.
Original post by Dekota-XS
Can you provide me a source that states that he was a threat to the forces on the night of 1st May? On a preliminary level, the forces entered his compound at 1am on the 1st of May, a time when you least expect a raid and the man was unarmed and may be in a state of shock.

A source that proves he was unarmed? ..
No .. in all seriousness.. you are asking that?
Ok well, off i go, but thanks for completely making me 100% you have no clue what you are talking about. Given this has been all over the news for roughly the past half a day. But oh well :rolleyes:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/C4/20110504/NEWS07/105040365/U-S-Bin-Laden-unarmed-clear-threat-our-guys-?odyssey=nav|head

'U.S. commandos who attacked bin Laden's compound were operating under rules of engagement that all but assured the al-Qaida leader would be killed'
'The assault force was told to accept a surrender only if they could be sure he didn't have a bomb hidden under his clothing and posed no other danger.'

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23946401-osama-bin-laden-was-shot-dead-unarmed-for-resisting-us-special-forces.do

From BBC news - 'Osama Bin Laden was unarmed when he was shot by US forces in Pakistan, but he resisted efforts to capture him alive, US officials say'
(Plus various officials have been saying it all day)

I don't really know what else to say.. all the stories essentially say the same thing.. it really isn't hard to go on to a news site and read it.. or watch the news and hear it from officials.

Oh and p.s.

It was a 40 minute fight.. when you have fighting going on around you for 20 minutes + .. you aren't 'shocked' . 'Shocked' is if you get attacked within like 1 minute of it beginning. So ya know. shut up :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Puma
Wasn't really the newspapers though was it... It was in fact a leader of a powerful nation.

And what a trustworthy source that is!
Original post by Tommyjw
The Taliban have acknowledged and according to officials even the Al Qaeda are preparing to acknowledge it.

Plus i'm still yet to see why people think Obama would lie so easily. He is not lying about what he ate for breakfast.. he is on about killing the world's most wanted man. If it wasn't true then he would lose his presidency next year and the country as a whole would be embarrassed. Especially given these idiots who think they haven't even found him.. do they realize how EASILY Osama could just pop up in a video and embarrass the HELL out of America?

I understand a need for pure evidence. But every single thing points to it being the truth. Everything that has been said or done is logical + factual and all points to one thing with not one thing to say that anything is wrong.
Everything is logical because it's a convenient lie. It isn't logical to slaughter a family inside their home from a planned attack and then dump their body at sea then claim that the person was the world's most wanted terrorist without accompanying the claim with evidence. And you cannot argue to the contrary until hard evidence is provided.
(edited 12 years ago)
So many bleeding heart liberals, he's dead and the world is better for it. Can't believe why anyone would want to stand up for him, it's soul destroying to read.
Everything is logical because it's a convenient lie. It isn't logical to slaughter a family inside their home from a planned attack and then dump their body at sea then claim that the person was the world's most wanted terrorist without accompanying the claim with evidence. And you cannot argue to the contrary until hard evidence is provided.

:facepalm:

Slaughter a family? You mean the people shooting at the navy seals.. oh right ok.. not logical to fight back then.. your so right.. :wink:

P.s. only one person was thrown to sea.. which makes complete sense as to why he was

Keep trying.. it's kinda funny :smile:.
Reply 2008
Conspiracy theorists - sometimes the world ISN'T out to get you. If Bin Laden was alive, a video would be released which would crush the spirit of every American out there. If he is dead and the Americans didn't actually do it, I'm not even bothered because it's increased Obama's popularity and I'd much rather he was re-elected than some crazy Republican.

One last thing, if it WAS a hoax, then they would have done it 6 years ago because no government wants to admit they've spent a decade looking for one man.
Original post by Tommyjw

Oh and p.s.

It was a 40 minute fight.. when you have fighting going on around you for 20 minutes + .. you aren't 'shocked' . 'Shocked' is if you get attacked within like 1 minute of it beginning. So ya know. shut up :smile:

Total nonsense. Think before you speak you imbecile. If you were ambushed by a load of armed forces inside your own home and you were found with your family, you would be shocked when you witness your own wife being shot and the rest of your family being shot before your eyes.
Bin Laden could have surrendered only "if he did not pose any type of threat whatsoever," White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan said on Fox television, and if U.S. troops "were confident of that in terms of his not having an (improvised explosives device) on his body, his not having some type of hidden weapon or whatever."

Why would a family man inside his family home at 1am be doctoring an explosive bomb inside his home? It doesn't make sense to have a bomb inside one's own home. It's an invalid argument unless a bomb was infact found within the compound, it doesn't have any bearing.
"He would have had to have been naked for them to allow him to surrender."
This just proves the fact that he wasn't a threat, they were adamant to shoot him even if he surrendered because apparently they had convinced themselves that he was carrying a bomb.
"some threatening moves ... that clearly represented a clear threat to our guys. And that's the reason they fired."
Thanks for this source but it's not good enough. How could he have made some threatening moves if he was unarmed? Common sense tells you that no ones going to keep a bomb inside their own house.
Reply 2010
1.If you resist arrest you have just start a fight and just raised your status condition from "Capture or Kill" to "Shoot to kill".Plus I heard the mission was a "Shoot to kill" anyway.

2.What he and others have commit are war crimes even against your own kind, so basically I don't think any country would have care if he died because he cause much death in the world already.

3.Think of what happen if he was captured? Attempts on his life by other Americans, Al-Qaeda would want trade other humans lives for Osama's life . There is also many other reasons but at the end he has been shot and now the problem ahead is "Do we still give money to Pakistan even if they have may or may not been harboring a terrorist.
Total nonsense. Think before you speak you imbecile. If you were ambushed by a load of armed forces inside your own home and you were found with your family, you would be shocked when you witness your own wife being shot and the rest of your family being shot before your eyes.

Wrong. He has been involved in war for many years, he is used to gunshots around him etc. You would simply not be shocked 20-30 minutes after it started. Simple fact. Grow up and learn some logic. He may have been scared or whatever, but shocked.. no.

Why would a family man inside his family home at 1am be doctoring an explosive bomb inside his home? It doesn't make sense to have a bomb inside one's own home. It's an invalid argument unless a bomb was infact found within the compound, it doesn't have any bearing.

MAYBE BECAUSE HE IS THE WORLDS MOST WANTED MAN :facepalm:

He has said he would not want to be taken alive, he said he would rather die than be taken alive. So tell me.. if you were facing a guy who has said that .. with a known history of violence and work with bombs.. and he was making a threat towards you.. you would just ignore anything he says and does and try to capture him? Bless. So ignorant

This just proves the fact that he wasn't a threat, they were adamant to shoot him even if he surrendered because apparently they had convinced themselves that he was carrying a bomb.

He was a threat unless he was naked.. they threatened him, they shot him. Such are the rules of engagement. If you don't like it than take it up with the various variations of the Army and the hundreds of years of history that come with it.

You are literally ridiculously naive. Please shut up, you are boring and annoying.

Common sense says you wouldn't keep a bomb in your house? Rofl .. my god.. just proves how naive you are. He is former leader of the Al Qeada, the world's most wanted man.. a man who would rather die than be captured.. please for the love of god explain to me in your intelligent ways how it was stupid to think he may have a bomb.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MoMatrix
It now appears that he was unarmed .Why not shoot him in the leg and give him a trial if he even was responsible for 9/11?

Original post by JoeLatics
Yes, yes, yes!

He was unarmed. That's murder in my books.

Several sources say that he was reaching for a weapon at the time of his death.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Osama-Bin-Laden-Images-May-Be-Released-To-Show-His-Burial-At-Sea-But-Video-Of-Raid-Will-Not/Article/201105115984701?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_1&lid=ARTICLE_15984701_Osama_Bin_Laden_Images_May_Be_Released_To_Show_His_Burial_At_Sea%2C_But_Video_Of_Raid_Will_Not

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/bin_laden_seemed_to_be_reaching_0oaH8UTdaBxwPj3uzrAzfM

And even if this weren't the case, it could have been a strong possibility that he was wearing some a bomb so that when the SEALS tried to physically restrain him they would have all died as he would not have wanted to be taken alive.

Morals are easy when you're sat at home. Try applying them after a 40 minute firefight where your target could blow you up within seconds.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think that it is important to look at the situation from the viewpoint of those people - and there are many - who supported or agreed with bin Laden. We may not agree with their views, but they are entitled to their opinions and their response to the recent events is likely to affect us.

Imagine how you would feel if a group of Al-Qaeda supporters, or soldiers, 'sneaked' into the UK, attacked a house in part of a city because someone important (such as the Prime Minister, or a member of the Royal Family, or an ex-PM, such as Tony Blair) lived there, shot this person and a number of their friends and family. If that happened you might be really annoyed and feel that something should be done to retaliate against the people who did it and the country that they came from.

Just bear that in mind next time you feel like celebrating the death of this man - however much you dislike him or his politics.
Original post by Arceus
1.If you resist arrest you have just start a fight and just raised your status condition from "Capture or Kill" to "Shoot to kill".Plus I heard the mission was a "Shoot to kill" anyway.
Presuming it was a shoot to kill operation, why were all the other members found in the compound all killed aswell? Surely they can't all be posing a threat to the armed US officials?
2.What he and others have commit are war crimes even against your own kind, so basically I don't think any country would have care if he died because he cause much death in the world already.

This is more of a reason why solid proof of his death needs to be provided to the public. The operation was planned from several months ago, America didn't correspond with Pakistan about the mission, nor Britain nor any other public hence why they need to provide evidence when they make such a claim out of the blue.
3.Think of what happen if he was captured? Attempts on his life by other Americans, Al-Qaeda would want trade other humans lives for Osama's life . There is also many other reasons but at the end he has been shot and now the problem ahead is "Do we still give money to Pakistan even if they have may or may not been harboring a terrorist.
He could have been hanged the day after his arrest had he been captured and his family could have been detained.
Original post by Tommyjw
You are literally ridiculously naive. Please shut up, you are boring and annoying.

Common sense says you wouldn't keep a bomb in your house? Rofl .. my god.. just proves how naive you are. He is former leader of the Al Qeada, the world's most wanted man.. a man who would rather die than be captured.. please for the love of god explain to me in your intelligent ways how it was stupid to think he may have a bomb.

He was a retired family man. 10 years since he had been last active, reports say he lived in the compound for 5 years, no one in their right mind would keep a bomb inside their home for that long for fear of putting their family's life at risk.
He was a retired family man. 10 years since he had been last active, reports say he lived in the compound for 5 years, no one in their right mind would keep a bomb inside their home for that long for fear of putting their family's life at risk.

Your ridiculous naivety comes into force here.

He lived with many other people. How do you think he got food? How do you think those people got guns?

They are members of the Al Qeada for god sake.. he could of had a bomb for 5 years.. he could of had it for 5 days.

'The operation was planned from several months ago, America didn't correspond with Pakistan about the mission,'

If you knew ANYTHING AT ALL. You wouldn't even mention this.

Please just go away, you're arguments are terrible and pathetic and you essentially don't have a clue what you are talking about.
(edited 12 years ago)

I like the way you make out he was some sort of peaceful retired family man going down to the post office once a week for his pension. He was the worlds most wanted man, he has said he would rather die than be taken priosner, I think its totally reasonable to assume he may have been armed with a bomb. There are retired people in the States who keep firearms in their houses for their defense, and quite a few of the gun nuts on here would like to in the UK too because they see the UK as such a hotbed of violence and crime. He was in a different part of the world to the UK, things are a little different over there, a lot more violent, just a look on the news is testament to that. I wish you armchair generals would try to understand that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Your ridiculous naivety comes into force here.

He lived with many other people. How do you think he got food? How do you think those people got guns?

They are members of the Al Qeada for god sake.. he could of had a bomb for 5 years.. he could of had it for 5 days.

'The operation was planned from several months ago, America didn't correspond with Pakistan about the mission,'

If you knew ANYTHING AT ALL. You wouldn't even mention this.

Please just go away, you're arguments are terrible and pathetic and you essentially don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Let me make this clear, my view on this is that the compound was empty from the outset, none of the locals there saw him within those five years, on the contrary, the locals claim that it would have been difficult for him to live there for that long and go unnoticed. I'm assuming what has been claimed so far as true in order to refute your arguments.

Those people didn't get guns because they were later found to be unarmed. The compound had no firearms in it nor a bomb.

Why are you trying to defend Osama's death when you can't provide any evidence?
Let me make this clear, my view on this is that the compound was empty from the outset, none of the locals there saw him within those five years, on the contrary, the locals claim that it would have been difficult for him to live there for that long and go unnoticed. I'm assuming what has been claimed so far as true in order to refute your arguments.

Those people didn't get guns because they were later found to be unarmed. The compound had no firearms in it nor a bomb.

Because he did not leave.. it really is not hard to understand.

Do you understand how the caught him? By following his brothers, someone spotted him and thus they 'followed' them until they have compelling evidence Osama was there too.

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT :facepalm:
Osama may have been unarmed, but the others were armed.. there was 40 minutes of gun fighting ¬_¬

Just go away, you truly are a pathetic troll. Either that or you don't actually like to watch/read anything about it and just like to be incredibly naive, your choice which one it is
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending