The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

The main reason why they shot him is because he had dealings with the Bush family/government before 9/11. If that was discovered in an international court, Bush could have also been tried and would have raised serious questions about the US presidency's dealings with terrorists. Plus the fact it would have damaged the image and reputation of the US even more.

Either than that, it now seems the US government is just digging their hole deeper and deeper as they are constantly changing story lines on how he was shot - the latest story change suggests that Bin laden was killed unarmed and his wife was NOT trying to protect him.
This is indirectly making Bin Laden look like the victim here no doubt, plus the fact they have yet to release any evidence that he was actually killed.
Original post by slavetosociety
The main reason why they shot him is because he had dealings with the Bush family/government before 9/11. If that was discovered in an international court, Bush could have also been tried and would have raised serious questions about the US presidency's dealings with terrorists. Plus the fact it would have damaged the image and reputation of the US even more.

Either than that, it now seems the US government is just digging their hole deeper and deeper as they are constantly changing story lines on how he was shot - the latest story change suggests that Bin laden was killed unarmed and his wife was NOT trying to protect him.
This is indirectly making Bin Laden look like the victim here no doubt, plus the fact they have yet to release any evidence that he was actually killed.

Prove it.. oh wait.. you can't? How silly of me to assume you could prove any of the BS you say.
Original post by DorianGrayism
He was unarmed and holding a woman as a human shield.

They could have brought him in if they really wanted to.

Says the person who wasn't there. He was refusing to surrender and was using a woman as a human shield, he was resisting.
I don't think you could ever be sure that they could have brought him in. You can only speculate.

Original post by Phobia27
If he went into custody there would be an increase in terror risks and hostages being held for the release of Bin Laden.

Original post by Aj12
Could't be done. Would have lead to loads of kidnappings to try to bargain for him.

This
Reply 2023
Original post by MoMatrix
It now appears that he was unarmed .Why not shoot him in the leg and give him a trial if he even was responsible for 9/11?

Far to dangerous. Al Quedia would start kidnapping every western in sight.

The trial would be a farce and become a platform for his toxic ramblings. No trial would ever be accepted by many people ether. Terrorists would claim it was a kangaroo court ect.
I think they should have at least tried to get some information out of him before killing him, I mean he was the leader of a major terrorist organisation! Even if he wouldn't have disclosed anything.
I personally agree with the OP , but America needed a morale boost and for once people can celebrate the bad guy getting 'what he deserves.'

Though Donald Trump poses a bigger danger to the US now...
Original post by Cross_Your_Fingers
I think they should have at least tried to get some information out of him before killing him, I mean he was the leader of a major terrorist organisation! Even if he wouldn't have disclosed anything.
I personally agree with the OP , but America needed a morale boost and for once people can celebrate the bad guy getting 'what he deserves.'

Though Donald Trump poses a bigger danger to the US now...

When the world's most wanted man is sat in a room.. and you have no idea whether he has a bomb.. or will reach for a gun hidden under what he is wearing.. i highly doubt a team of seals who have been getting shot at for 40 minutes would sit and wait around :P
Original post by Tommyjw
Prove it.. oh wait.. you can't? How silly of me to assume you could prove any of the BS you say.

Haha! I knew you would reply back to me with a politically correct view of things!

You, like most around here, seem to buy any old toss the media throws at us. The Bush family had business connections with the Bin laden family. Its not official because it would THREATEN the US Governments reputation ACROSS THE WHOLE WORLD. Does it not strike your thick skull?
If the people of the US found out they couldn't even trust their government anymore, it would lead to Anarchy!

You should ask yourself: Why attack Iraq instead when all the terrorists who initiated the disaster during 9/11 were ALL SAUDI ARABIAN?

We all know history from then on. No WMDs were found and the Iraq War was based on lie. Ofcourse, you might say otherwise. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha! I knew you would reply back to me with a politically correct view of things!

You, like most around here, seem to buy any old toss the media throws at us. The Bush family had business connections with the Bin laden family. Its not official because it would THREATEN the US Governments reputation ACROSS THE WHOLE WORLD. Does it not strike your thick skull?

You should ask yourself: Why attack Iraq instead when all the terrorists who initiated the disaster during 9/11 were ALL SAUDI ARABIAN?

We all know histroy from then on. No WMDs were found and the Iraq War was based on lie. Ofcourse, you might say otherwise. :rolleyes:

OH right ok yes.
Me = Believe the president, US (and other world) officials
You = Believe a youtube video, make up nonsense, believe a random website.

I wonder who is the weird person here :rolleyes:

Bless, silly little tin hat people.
If the people of the US found out they couldn't even trust their government anymore, it would lead to Anarchy!

Is this not what falsifying Osamas death would also do to their reputation? Do you not think if it turned out to be false that Pakistan could see what happened as an act of war? Obama definately wouldn't risk that.
Original post by Tommyjw
OH right ok yes.
Me = Believe the president, US (and other world) officials
You = Believe a youtube video, make up nonsense, believe a random website.

I wonder who is the weird person here :rolleyes:

Bless, silly little tin hat people.

You know, its really no point in arguing with close minded people like you who put their whole trust in a system which is inherently corrupted by corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.
I think I can speak for every 1 billion muslims around the world (and I am not muslim!) that the Iraq war was based around a LIE and that the Bush Family indeed had connections with the Saudis and the Bin ladens.
Come back to me when you have a bigger support mate and then lets see who's wearing the tin foil hat :rolleyes:
You know, its really no point in arguing with close minded people like you who put their whole trust in a system which is inherently corrupted by corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.
I think I can speak for every 1 billion muslims around the world (and I am not muslim!) that the Iraq war was based around a LIE and that the Bush Family indeed had connections with the Saudis and the Bin ladens.
Come back to me when you have a bigger support mate and then lets see who's wearing the tin foil hat :rolleyes:

Rofl ok.
So you don't believe anything in the news.. anything politicians say.. and you believe all these THEORIES (Yes, that's right.. not sure if you understand.. but none of your made up little things have been proven in any way) and you say i'm simple minded?

Funny :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alison1992
if they captured him, people would go after him, increasing terror risks
what other kind of punishment to you propose
we knew he was guilty
what jury is ever going to find him innocent?
the soldiers would have been at a lot more risk trying to get him out alive, what about security?
personally, i think it would have caused a greater uproar but according to my mother i am 'very harsh' in most of my opinions

He's always said he wasn't behind 9/11.

Plus it's the principle of putting him trial, we live in a so called democratic society where people have the right to innocence until proven guilty.

America is the worlds number one terroist.
Half a million people have died in Iraq.
Countless in Afganistan.
Theres a silent war with Pakistan.
Imperial war in Libya.

How many innocents do you think the capitalist powers of the world have killed people because of their own interests and capital gain?
Original post by moonkatt
Is this not what falsifying Osamas death would also do to their reputation? Do you not think if it turned out to be false that Pakistan could see what happened as an act of war? Obama definately wouldn't risk that.

Pakistan already sees the lack of Trust the US has with them due to the fact they did violate border laws, killed Bin Laden and didn't let the Pakistani Government know about it. Ofcourse, the US says that they couldn't trust the Pakistani government fearing the info could be leaked and Bin Laden could have escaped but this obviously jeopardises their relationship.
I seriously doubt any action will be taken except question the Pakistani officials who helped Bin laden - and they'll be released soon after.
Think about it this way; the US and UK have given billions and billions and billions of aid to help Pakistan.
If found that Pakistan has been secretly diverting its aid to fund the hiding of most wanted terrorists, the people of the UK and the US would be outraged since its their tax payers money after all.
Hence the UK and US would have to come up with some excuse to pardon Pakistan and keep justifying that they are fighting the so called "war on terror".

You can't really speak for all the muslims and they don't all have the same opinion. I know my boyfriend (who is muslim btw) doesn't think the war was based on a lie.
Reply 2034
As I think the majority have said, in the most ideal world, he would have been tried however, I don't think it is particularly wrong in this instance because:

1) Risk to the military opposed to shooting him
2) No jury in the US would find him not guilt so that isn't really a fair trial
3) Attacks on the court or kidnappings
4) He would arguably become more of a Martyr.

I don't think we will ever find out what the orders were on that night, for obvious reasons. However I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a kill no capture mission and bear in mind the huge effect that 911 had on the on how the US military views itself, I think unless he had his hands on his head, the second they walked, in he was dead.
Reply 2035
Original post by concubine
If you think that it would have been for the greater good that he was taken alive (something which would have ultimately led to many more deaths), you should have been shot along with him.

There was no need for a trial, and the world is better off without him locked up somewhere in some legal sexytimes that would have led to all manners of shenanigans.

You are spouting the horrid notion that the state is justified in executing without judicial procedure someone because the President says so and because they're generally disliked. You can see why this is a completely absurd position to take.

Moreover, you can't claim with any kind of certainty that more deaths would result from bin Laden's capture rather than death - do terror cells care whether he is killed rather than locked in a prison? No. Even if your statement were true, does that matter? Is justice based purely on utilitarianism? I would argue that justice is something far more.

This statement also goes to anyone else supporting Obama having arbitrary and extra-judicial powers of murder.
Original post by Kitty Pryde
You can't really speak for all the muslims and they don't all have the same opinion. I know my boyfriend (who is muslim btw) doesn't think the war was based on a lie.

Oh please... In due time what I say will be right. I'll even create a thread about how ignorant people were just to prove a point :smile:
Reply 2037
How do you propose the soldiers could've asked Osama to have politely put his weapon down
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13184524

The SAS are facing a recruitment crisis, as there seems to be so many experts at combat and non lethal take downs I thought that TSR may be an untapped well of talent that the boys in Hereford could make use of, perhaps show the SEALS how it all should be done, seeing as people on here seem to know better.
Original post by honoris
How do you propose the soldiers could've asked Osama to have politely put his weapon down

by telling them they all know that he had secret dealings with the Bush administration, and that it will end up in Bush being taken to trial for war crimes, even though no evidence exisits. They will have several hours of speculation from people on youtube to back this up.

/sarcasm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending