The Student Room Group

Private Candidate exam centre

I want to resit A level maths this summer in its entirety, and I will be a private candidate and need somewhere that will allow me to sit my exams without requiring me to enrole on a college programme of lessons (I already know it, having taken maths A level previously and being on an engineering course at university).
SO - where do I find a place like this? Anyone know of a system available for getting private candidates in to sit exams without them being tied to an institution (who are reluctant to take me since they dont know if I will just fail and mess up their stats).???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, there is.
I am a private candidate and I am going to take my exams with ExamsTogether - www.examstogether.com
But if you wish to resit your A-levels in Summer session this year DEADLINE for registration is 21st of March and the prices now are horrible -I mean, the earlier you enrol, the less you pay :smile:

If you want their current fees pm me, they send me on email /they haven't got it at the website/

I also know that some colleges let you take your exams as a private candidate eg Campbell Harris, but they don't do all of the subject, just a few - sorry but don't remember which exactly, but kind of 'scientific' ones.

Hope I helped.
Reply 2
paula.paw
Yes, there is.
I am a private candidate and I am going to take my exams with ExamsTogether - www.examstogether.com
But if you wish to resit your A-levels in Summer session this year DEADLINE for registration is 21st of March and the prices now are horrible -I mean, the earlier you enrol, the less you pay :smile:

If you want their current fees pm me, they send me on email /they haven't got it at the website/

I also know that some colleges let you take your exams as a private candidate eg Campbell Harris, but they don't do all of the subject, just a few - sorry but don't remember which exactly, but kind of 'scientific' ones.

Hope I helped.

Yes you did, thanks.
I suppose if it was too expensive I could just do it next january, but I will scout around to see if I can get it done cheap(ish) this summer.

I am currently speaking to my previous college about doing it there. Already got told I would have to enrole if I wanted to sit them at the College which is local to my university.
Reply 3
Hmmm... that isn't that expensive.
You pay now about 45GBP per unit plus Exam board fEes, for Edexcel it is between 13-25 GBP.
It is good if you wish to resit just one unit or a few but if you want to take whole A level or even more that could be though.
Reply 4
Neilan
Yes you did, thanks.
I suppose if it was too expensive I could just do it next january, but I will scout around to see if I can get it done cheap(ish) this summer.

I am currently speaking to my previous college about doing it there. Already got told I would have to enrole if I wanted to sit them at the College which is local to my university.

Just thought I'd say that it may be hugely unwise to put a few hundred pounds (at most!) infront of your A-level grades and may be a decision that you may come to regret gravely afterwards, in hindsight. I would go ahead with the investment because the chances are that it'll easily pay it's way back through a better paid job in the future.
Reply 5
If you live in London there is a place called Campbell Harris is High Street Kensington which will allow you to do so at around 40 pounds per unit therefore 240 pounds in total. They have a site look it up on google. They do Maths im sure of it
Reply 6
Mensan1
Just thought I'd say that it may be hugely unwise to put a few hundred pounds (at most!) infront of your A-level grades and may be a decision that you may come to regret gravely afterwards, in hindsight. I would go ahead with the investment because the chances are that it'll easily pay it's way back through a better paid job in the future.

I don't think I fully understand you. You say I might regret spending the money on the resits? But then you say you would go ahead because I might get a better job?

Anyway I'm pretty sure that improving my A level grades isn't going to matter much now Im taking a tough course at university, and it makes everything I've done before relatively negligable. However if I wanted to go into Investment Banking where that kind of snobbery is commonplace, then it might help - but that is one of few places.
So I'm not really doing this for job prospects, its for my own self satisfaction. If I can put it right, I will.
How much do campbell harris charge per module say for maths, as a private candidate.
Reply 8
Da_hopeful_1
How much do campbell harris charge per module say for maths, as a private candidate.

AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications e.g Maths) ~ £49-£55 per unit; late fee ~ £65-£75 per unit; very late fee ~ £85-£100 per unit;
AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70-£75 per unit; late fee ~ £85-95 per unit; very late fee ~ £105-£115 per unit.
AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit.
Additional fees apply for AS & A2 practical assessment courses (Edexcel only) in Chemistry or Physics.
ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit;

http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/Content.asp?ID=54

North London College are usually cheaper
gdunne42
AS/A2 (6 unit qualifications e.g Maths) ~ £49-£55 per unit; late fee ~ £65-£75 per unit; very late fee ~ £85-£100 per unit;
AS/A2 (4 unit qualifications) ~ £70-£75 per unit; late fee ~ £85-95 per unit; very late fee ~ £105-£115 per unit.
AS/A2 (2 unit qualifications) fee ~ £120 per unit.
Additional fees apply for AS & A2 practical assessment courses (Edexcel only) in Chemistry or Physics.
ORAL Exams ~ £75 supplement per AS/A2 unit;

http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/Content.asp?ID=54

North London College are usually cheaper

Is it really that expensive. I don't want to do the whole Alevel.

For maths i want to do 4 out of the 6

and for chemistry i want to do 4 out of the 6
and for psychology i want to do 1 out of the 4
Reply 10
Da_hopeful_1
Is it really that expensive. I don't want to do the whole Alevel.

For maths i want to do 4 out of the 6

and for chemistry i want to do 4 out of the 6
and for psychology i want to do 1 out of the 4

those prices are from their website so yes, those are the prices per exam!
check north london college who aren't as expensive
you'll get the cheapest prices from local schools/colleges who tend to only charge the exam fee plus a small admin fee, phone exams officers and ask
Reply 11
Hi Im trying to resit for Edexcel Advanced subsidiary, Business studies Unit 1 in this May 2011 exams. and Im trying to find a centre to sit for the exam. Please can anyone help me with it.
please help me. Because the dead line very close,
Thank you
Reply 12
I'm also trying to find a centre to sit maths A level (edexcel) and have had no luck so far.. I would also really appreciate any help :s-smilie: has anyone managed to do this before??
Reply 13
Please some one tell me about a centre that I can resit for Business studies Unit 1 for the coming May Exam.
Reply 14
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1568526

Have a look here is the answer to all your questions! :biggrin:
Good luck!
Reply 15
I can get you alist of colleges that you can sit your exams at if you tell me where you would be able to travel to sit your exams... + the Exam board
Reply 16
Original post by hissyfit
I can get you alist of colleges that you can sit your exams at if you tell me where you would be able to travel to sit your exams... + the Exam board

Ar you just going to show us a list off the examining body website? Because I've got the AQA list and all of the ones I can get to have rejected me.
Campbell Harris are crazy expensive if you don't book early though. A week after I got my January results through the post I emailed them and was told that I was already late.

6 Maths Units (Edexcel C1-4+S1&2) and 4 Economics units (AQA unit 1-4) came to just under £800.

Needless to say, I should be getting back to revision :smile:
Original post by Tw1x
Ar you just going to show us a list off the examining body website? Because I've got the AQA list and all of the ones I can get to have rejected me.

It's a bit late for exam entries, don't you think? Public season has started already. :s-smilie:

Meh. If you still urgently need a exam centre then I can give you the names of some schools in my area that are willing to take external applicants. Though I can't guarantee acceptance since the deadline went sometime in February.

EDIT:

By "my" area, I mean London.
I've been using 3A Tutors in Bristol for the last few years, largely because their exam centre is a short walking distance away from my house :biggrin:. They're quite expensive but I'd recommend them without any hesitation :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest