The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
i've always wondered.. in order to start rowing, do you have to know how to swim?
Original post by Humz7
i've always wondered.. in order to start rowing, do you have to know how to swim?

Yes, you generally do a swim test, otherwise you'll drown if you fall in....
Reply 962
Original post by Keith Lemon
Yes, you generally do a swim test, otherwise you'll drown if you fall in....

thank you. I guess i'll have to start taking swimming lessons again..
Reply 963
Original post by Humz7

You don't necessarily have to be able to swim actually. If you fail the swim test (which is usually 50m swim on your front and 50m swim on your back, though this is not the same at all clubs, it will depend on the river you are rowing on, then also being able to tread water for 1 minute) then your club may be able to ensure certain things when you are rowing, i.e. wearing a buoyancy aid, or making sure you only go out in 'big' boats that are unlikely to capsize.

Though yes, best to get learning, but just to let you know this so that you don't have to put off joining for ages while you learn to swim :smile:
Reply 964
Original post by Humz7

Original post by Humz7

It won't take you too long.

I'm terrible at swimming. I can swim on my back like a champion, put me on my front or make me tread and I'm like a dead-weight. I can't even lay on my back and float in the water because my legs drag me down.

So, if I can do it, I'm sure you'll be alright.
Ah Wallingford Regatta was cancelled :/ I reckon they're going to be doing 2ks at school to try sort out a Nat Schools crew for the 2nd VIII. I'm not looking forward to it...seeing as my last one was like 7:32 :P i'm aiming for a sub 7:15 though even i've lost a good stone since my last one!

Or maybe 1ks, as we've got Shrewsbury Regatta coming up in 2 weeks time. What sort of time should I be aiming for if I have an average 500 of 1:38?

EDIT:

WORST 2K EVER. Didn't finish. Attempted like 3 times, and then people started talking so I just lost if half way through and almost put my fist through a wall :P then 5k yesterday, did horrible and had to stop about 4 times getting a 21:30! Atleast the 1ks in the boats happened to go well, even though they stuck me on bow side and i've not rowed on that side since christmas :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 966
Original post by dobbs
You don't necessarily have to be able to swim actually. If you fail the swim test (which is usually 50m swim on your front and 50m swim on your back, though this is not the same at all clubs, it will depend on the river you are rowing on, then also being able to tread water for 1 minute) then your club may be able to ensure certain things when you are rowing, i.e. wearing a buoyancy aid, or making sure you only go out in 'big' boats that are unlikely to capsize.

Though yes, best to get learning, but just to let you know this so that you don't have to put off joining for ages while you learn to swim :smile:

Original post by Tabris
It won't take you too long.

I'm terrible at swimming. I can swim on my back like a champion, put me on my front or make me tread and I'm like a dead-weight. I can't even lay on my back and float in the water because my legs drag me down.

So, if I can do it, I'm sure you'll be alright.

that's exactly my problem! the first thing that gives way are my legs, they just start sinking and feel really heavy. although I do feel more comfortable swimming on my back, but on my front I feel like there's no hope.

thanks guys, i'll definitely get on to learning how to swim once my exams are done so it's in time for uni :smile:
Reply 967
>8k 30r22.

So pleased with myself!
Original post by SimonM
>8k 30r22.

So pleased with myself!

:eek: what was your split!? Because 8k on it's own is like 1:52.5...

I can barely hold that for a 2k at the moment :P
Reply 969
Original post by Dave_Beeston
:eek: what was your split!? Because 8k on it's own is like 1:52.5...

I can barely hold that for a 2k at the moment :P

I can....well I lie, I used to be able to pull 8k in 30mins. It's really not so difficult once you get used to it and doing the training etc. A 30min is quite a nice erg to do....settle down into your pace and just plough through it :smile:
Reply 970
Original post by dobbs
I can....well I lie, I used to be able to pull 8k in 30mins. It's really not so difficult once you get used to it and doing the training etc. A 30min is quite a nice erg to do....settle down into your pace and just plough through it :smile:

I’m hoping to join the rowing time come this September. I haven’t rowed before, but my general fitness is fairly good, mostly weight training with 20 mins cardio at least 4 times a week - any training tips to ensure success?
Reply 971
Original post by dobbs

I think you're doing it wrong.

Basically, each stroke you push as hard as you can. It's quite mentally challenging as well as physically exhausting. (Playing 2hours of waterpolo immediately afterwards wasn't such a great idea either).

Still, Lwt trial erg test tomorrow evening... feeling pretty exhausted.
Reply 972
Original post by SimonM

Basically, each stroke you push as hard as you can. It's quite mentally challenging as well as physically exhausting. (Playing 2hours of waterpolo immediately afterwards wasn't such a great idea either).

Still, Lwt trial erg test tomorrow evening... feeling pretty exhausted.

Pushing as hard as you can every stroke for 8k? :lolwut: How do you still have legs after that? :p:
Reply 973
Original post by Mithra
Pushing as hard as you can every stroke for 8k? :lolwut: How do you still have legs after that? :p:

For a while you don't. Doing it again next week it seems.
Original post by Mithra

When I used to row, I physically couldn't stand for some time after my 2k/5k/30mins.
Reply 975
Original post by SimonM

I think for a 5'7 guy weighing 68kg, pulling over 8k in 30mins must mean I'm doing something right :wink:

I prefer longer pieces to shorter 1500m/2ks etc, I enjoy finding the split I need to hold and just sitting on it for a long period of time. Obviously no ergs are "nice to do" but some are better than others, I'd much rather do a 30min than a 2k any day.
Reply 976
Anyone going to Bedford Regatta on Saturday? :smile:
Reply 977
Yep. Many fond memories from last year, so hoping for similar weather and better results
Reply 978
Yeah its a great regatta, absolutely love the atmosphere. Not racng this year but I'm definitely going to cycle alongside my friends when they race and chill out with a pimms and burger on the bank when they're not :wink:
Original post by dobbs

Our swim test was all that plus you have to dive 2m down for a brick, and that was just to be able to race in an 8. Below 4s you needed a proper capsize drill!

Quick Reply

Latest