The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey Biosciences 2011/12

okay, so there are loads of threads for psychology and what not, but i haven't seen people studying any of the biosciences. .. yet.. ;D so it'd be great to meet people studying any of the bioscience subjects before the start of term!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am doing Med Chem, think it is one of the biosciences, as apparently Chemistry isn't its own thing...
What course are you doing ?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
i'm doing biochemistry.
wait.. i thought chemistry had it's own department? or am i thinking of something else?
Reply 3
Original post by fishes.are.cold
i'm doing biochemistry.
wait.. i thought chemistry had it's own department? or am i thinking of something else?

Ahhh nice, will probably have some modules with you guys then, with the whole medical side...

Ha, really dont have a clue, I think it is its own department, but on open day/interview thing had like, ''health and medical sciences'' then online its biosciences, and urgh, i dont know...

You looking forward to going?
Original post by SteveBwfc

Original post by SteveBwfc
Ahhh nice, will probably have some modules with you guys then, with the whole medical side...

Ha, really dont have a clue, I think it is its own department, but on open day/interview thing had like, ''health and medical sciences'' then online its biosciences, and urgh, i dont know...

You looking forward to going?

yeah. :biggrin: the med chem students share some labs and lectures with the biochem students. .. :P took a sneak peak at the syllabus and the all the work involved.

:/ i didn't go to the open day/interview. i'm in belgium you see. i was actually wondering about that; if you don't attend it, is that a problem?

and yes! definitely looking forward to it! i haven't been studying for a year and all my friends are at uni; been hearing great stuff about it. :biggrin: so yes.

how about you??
Reply 5
yeah. :biggrin: the med chem students share some labs and lectures with the biochem students. .. :P took a sneak peak at the syllabus and the all the work involved.

:/ i didn't go to the open day/interview. i'm in belgium you see. i was actually wondering about that; if you don't attend it, is that a problem?

and yes! definitely looking forward to it! i haven't been studying for a year and all my friends are at uni; been hearing great stuff about it. :biggrin: so yes.

how about you??

Ooo nice, where did you find the work involved ? i might have a cheeky look through, seeing as i havent touched Chem since last year!

Nahhh, the open day thing is just for yourself really, to take a look around etc...if you already have the offer, then you're all good :smile: !

Yeah, i have been to stay a few days with my friends this year from time to time, and absolutely love the uni atmosphere, cannot wait!!! Just to get away from home too, and i am absolutely nowhere near any of my friends, so things should be interesting :smile:
you'll have to first set up an IT account, then they'll give you your username and password. and because i'm not at home at the moment, i don't know the link. i'm pretty sure i can find it again, so i'll do that. oh and as for the IT account, i know that if you've got an unconditional offer, you can set it up now. but if you've got a conditional offer, i'm not too sure. but it's still worth a try.

oh good! i was kind of freaking out because apparently they're supposed to send you a confirmation letter. but they didn't. unless the confirmation letter is the accommodation thing.

i know what you mean. ;D it's nothing like high school.
Reply 7
Chemistry is its own department, within the health and medical science faculty. Bioscience is also in this faculty. If you're doing medicinal chemistry you'll be in with the chemists mainly, as you're in our department as you're far more involved in chemistry lectures than biology ones.
but the lectures do overlap, right? i mean.. some of the modules are the same.
Reply 9
Yeah obviously the modules that are the same will overlap, just the main bulk of the lessons will be with Chemistry people.
;D ah. that makes sense.
Reply 11
Glad I can help :smile: If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.
lecturers! ;D have any favourites? any you have to be wary of?
Reply 13
I'm doing Nutrition and Dietetics! :smile: Apparently the first year is mainly Biochemistry though :tongue: I can't wait for September :biggrin:
nutrition and dietetics here too :biggrin:
;D yeah, the first year's mainly biochem.

did you guys already pick your accommodation? where are you hoping to get? :/ sucks that we can't pick which halls we actually want.
Reply 16
;D yeah, the first year's mainly biochem.

did you guys already pick your accommodation? where are you hoping to get? :/ sucks that we can't pick which halls we actually want.

Agreed. I would have loved to give a preference, but I don't mind so much as long as I get standard or ensuite on campus :smile: Where are you hoping for? Mine's all sent... just waiting to hear from them now :wink:

Woo Biochem :smile: (Not so much the chem :tongue:)
Original post by BethBeth

Original post by BethBeth
Agreed. I would have loved to give a preference, but I don't mind so much as long as I get standard or ensuite on campus :smile: Where are you hoping for? Mine's all sent... just waiting to hear from them now :wink:

Woo Biochem :smile: (Not so much the chem :tongue:)

I'm hoping to get into campus. :/ i don't exactly like the idea of walking all the way to Manor Park. call me lazy. :P but in all seriousness, i just prefer living in campus; it's just for the first year anyway. so it's definitely worth it. Hopefullyyyyy (fingers crossed), i'll get Band D, in campus, probably University Court (i think).
Basically, anywhere near the biosciences department. :biggrin:
Twyford would be a nightmare..

Which did you pick??

Yup.. Chemistry. :/ i haven't touched a chemistry textbook in over 8 months. :P i think i need to hit the books soon.
Reply 18
I picked Band D too, its my first choice :smile: Twyford is supposed to be really nice, but i'm lazy too and would love to just wander over to lecture 5 mins after I wake up :tongue:

Chemistry is hard.. At least it will be fresh in my head though, cos i'm doing it atm... not looking forward to the exams though :redface:
I'm hoping to get into campus. :/ i don't exactly like the idea of walking all the way to Manor Park. call me lazy. :P but in all seriousness, i just prefer living in campus; it's just for the first year anyway. so it's definitely worth it. Hopefullyyyyy (fingers crossed), i'll get Band D, in campus, probably University Court (i think).
Basically, anywhere near the biosciences department. :biggrin:
Twyford would be a nightmare..

Which did you pick??

Yup.. Chemistry. :/ i haven't touched a chemistry textbook in over 8 months. :P i think i need to hit the books soon.

I currently live in Twyford and it's far from a nightmare. Less than 5 minutes to lectures and it's the closest accommodation to Tesco

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending