The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schumacher
Help.

What's the rule with working after store closes? I work 6-10pm Tuesdays and 12-8pm on Sundays but I usually end up clocking out at 10 past the hour, do we get paid for it or not? I suspect the answer is no, if so what can be done about it?

Second question which is sort of related to the first. I'm in a fairly small store within a shopping centre, we don't do any "store is closing in 15, 10, 5 minutes" stuff and I'm wondering is this common at JS? It irritates staff and an old manager banned it because it "annoys customers" plus the new management don't seem to be too fussed about putting out a call either.

Almost every other shop I go into they do a closing announcement, is it just my store that choose not to or is more widespread across the company?

It's the little things that annoy me about Sainsbury's.

Depends. My supervisor checks when she does the Das's if we had to clock out late for whatever reason and lets us have extra breaks to cover that the next shift we're on, so we still get paid for it :tongue: She also moved all the sunday shifts back half an hour so we'd be there after closing to do disposals e.t.c cos' we NEVER used to get out at 4, usually about 20 past. Now we get it all done and I get a half hour lie in!
Original post by unclerachel
Depends. My supervisor checks when she does the Das's if we had to clock out late for whatever reason and lets us have extra breaks to cover that the next shift we're on, so we still get paid for it :tongue: She also moved all the sunday shifts back half an hour so we'd be there after closing to do disposals e.t.c cos' we NEVER used to get out at 4, usually about 20 past. Now we get it all done and I get a half hour lie in!

Lucky for some, wish we had it like that! Your supervisor must be very generous :tongue:
Lucky for some, wish we had it like that! Your supervisor must be very generous :tongue:

Yeah we get it quite lucky really. We get longer breaks too. I actually have no idea what the break rules are at Sainsburys.

Although, we are soooo short staffed at the moment! I'm in bakery and we have 2 off sick, 1 just sacked, 2 newbies, 2 students in exam time and 2 pregnant. Absolute nightmare trying to fit everyone in to do jobs/shifts they can do/want to do/legally allowed. We're managing though, and we got a £50 shining star to share between us for actually still managing to run over easter with half the staff missing :cool: We're buying a new DAB radio :biggrin: I disappear for 14 weeks in summer too, just as one sickie gets back I go away, then when I come back the two pregnant ones leave :eek:
Original post by kittycake
thanks.

i applied for a counter assistant job and been told its in deli. i just researched this and it really doesnt look like something i want to do. i thought counter assistant was like check outs or something, i know i should of researched before i applied but i didnt. do u think they would let me change departments if i say at the interview or how long do u have to work there until they let u switch departments?

give it a try and if you dont like it ask to move. i would wait until youve finished probation tho which is 3 months.
yeah im just gonna go with it. does anybody know how many stages there are to the interview? it says im on the first stage.
yeah im just gonna go with it. does anybody know how many stages there are to the interview? it says im on the first stage.

2 :P first stage, then interview is second
thanks.

i applied for a counter assistant job and been told its in deli. i just researched this and it really doesnt look like something i want to do. i thought counter assistant was like check outs or something, i know i should of researched before i applied but i didnt. do u think they would let me change departments if i say at the interview or how long do u have to work there until they let u switch departments?

Tbh, I think your chances of being able to move department straight off are slim. Unless they really need you on checkouts, but at the end of the day the deli is obviously the area in which they need staff and it doesn't look too good at the interview if you're not willing to be flexible. Your best bet is to start off on deli and try and move after a while, but it's still dependent on whether the other department need you.
Reply 8347
Hi guys, got an interview with Sainsbury's on Saturday. So basically:

What sort of questions will they ask me?
Anything else along with my passport i'd could take to 'impress'?
And has anyone worked or is working as a code controller? Just so i'll have a bit more knowledge about the role.

Cheers in advance. :smile:
Original post by Swell

And has anyone worked or is working as a code controller? Just so i'll have a bit more knowledge about the role.

its been asked a lot - have a look in the last few pages as some people have already asked about code controller :yep:
Reply 8349
Original post by Swell

I found my interview to be fairly relaxed and informal. They just asked questions about me, interests etc... none of those horrible situational questions. There were a few basic maths exercises too, but they were easy. I don't know if this is the standard interview procedures though.
Reply 8350
I do the tannoys at 10:45, 10:50, 10:55, 11:00 and 1105 (Adjusted for any time we close later/earlier)

The last tannoy is litterally, "The store and checkouts are now closed, customer still shopping should now make their way to the store exit".

On a Saturday its useful because they all go to checkouts.

Question: On a Sunday, can MCM "inspect" the store at 4:55pm, when the store closes at 5pm, and can you be downgraded for queues?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Foulish

Question: On a Sunday, can MCM "inspect" the store at 4:55pm, when the store closes at 5pm, and can you be downgraded for queues?

I'm not sure about Sainsburys but when I used to mystery shop and Think 25 test purchase for Tesco we were only allowed to do the visit in between certain hours which were generally between a couple of hours after it has opened and a couple of hours before the store closes so I presume it'll be the same for Sainsburys.
Been working here since the start of April now, and it's alright I guess. Only work 2 days a week (contracted), and I do checkouts/shop floor (stock replenishment etc). Though today I was called in to chat about my IPM (items per minute or something?). It was only like 14.3 and I need it to be 18? What actually influences this rating so I can improve my score? I never got till trained and it's the first time I've been on a checkout, so as you can imagine, my first few shifts were like being served by a zombie "duuuur where is this barcode duuuur... oh there it is..." *beep*... "oh wait, i should put this in the bag first duuuur" *beep*

But now I feel I'm going as quick as the others. Yet I'm still low? x__x Most of the time I'm sitting there while the customer counts their change to the exact penny. Annoys me when I see a £5 note in their purse / wallet yet they insist on giving me 3x pound coins, 2x 20 pence, 2x 10 pence 2x 5 pence, and a bundle of 1 pennies. Time is ticking, the queue is ever-growing! But yeah, does that effect the IPM? Or is it only the screen with PLU Group (before the cash screen) where the rating is calculated?

Additionally, when you're waiting on the scanning screen, does the time still go up? Or does it count as being "idle" until you scan 1 item? Blah, don't see why they care about this. A few items per minute less shouldn't be an issue. We're already meeting store targets and I'd much rather provide a quality level of service than be able to scan faster than Hercules on steroids.

Tips appreciated!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8353
Original post by Syndicate
Been working here since the start of April now, and it's alright I guess. Only work 2 days a week (contracted), and I do checkouts/shop floor (stock replenishment etc). Though today I was called in to chat about my IPM (items per minute or something?). It was only like 14.3 and I need it to be 18? What actually influences this rating so I can improve my score? I never got till trained and it's the first time I've been on a checkout, so as you can imagine, my first few shifts were like being served by a zombie "duuuur where is this barcode duuuur... oh there it is..." *beep*... "oh wait, i should put this in the bag first duuuur" *beep*

But now I feel I'm going as quick as the others. Yet I'm still low? x__x Most of the time I'm sitting there while the customer counts their change to the exact penny. Annoys me when I see a £5 note in their purse / wallet yet they insist on giving me 3x pound coins, 2x 20 pence, 2x 10 pence 2x 5 pence, and a bundle of 1 pennies. Time is ticking, the queue is ever-growing! But yeah, does that effect the IPM? Or is it only the screen with PLU Group (before the cash screen) where the rating is calculated?

Additionally, when you're waiting on the scanning screen, does the time still go up? Or does it count as being "idle" until you scan 1 item? Blah, don't see why they care about this. A few items per minute less shouldn't be an issue. We're already meeting store targets and I'd much rather provide a quality level of service than be able to scan faster than Hercules on steroids.

Tips appreciated!

IPM is counted when your in sale mode (If you see reduced on the list to the side at the top, you are in sale mode). You can pause the IPM by simply totalling up or going to the blue nectar screen (The list at the side at the top will say cash). IPM apparently dosen't pause when your on the Active Kids pop-up or the Bag Reuse pop-up.

Think about it this way in regards to you thinking IMP is bad.

We used to have a target of 16 ipm, and when we got the new scanners, the target went up to 21. We notice that the queues are more quickly reduced with the new increased scanning speed. Rather than having to call 2/3 people to get the queues down, we may only need to call 1. Thus a greater customer experience on the shop floor, more items on the shelf as there are more staff on the shop floor, and less chance of out of stocks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Interesting the you say the bag reuse / active kids screen don't pause IPM because I was told it does in training.

One thing I wondered about IPM is is a minuite from the first item scanned (so if you start scanning at 51minuites and 21 seconds you have til 52 mins and 21 secs to hit your IPM?)
'ello lovelies. :h:

Quick question regarding allocated holiday - I booked only a few days off around exam time and was told to tick the allocated holiday box because I didn't know when I would need the rest of it. About 90% of my holiday has been allocated in November, and circumstances have changed making me think that (for mental health reasons) I should move some of that holiday closer to the present to prevent some sort of drama queen stress induced break down. :tongue: Is it possible to change allocated holiday like this? And how 'reasonable' (:rolleyes:) are they when doing this?
Original post by affinity89
x

That sounds very odd. Have you spoken to anybody at work about this?
That sounds very odd. Have you spoken to anybody at work about this?

Which bit lol?
Everyone on the team agrees about the creepy guy. People just try to keep their distance from him. I don't think he has noticed though - that everyone tries to avoid him. :/
Reply 8358
Original post by affinity89
Which bit lol?
Everyone on the team agrees about the creepy guy. People just try to keep their distance from him. I don't think he has noticed though - that everyone tries to avoid him. :/

Not gonna lie, the best way to deal with him is to tell him to go away eg " get lost you creep", since hes prob a fktard, and don't be polite, seriously.

Yes it will probably "hurt his feelings".
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi all, new to the student room, apologies if anything like this has been covered already.

I have just found out that I got the job I applied for recently at sainsburys.

I have worked for sainsburys before which I loved and on the previous occasion was notified by phone call, text message and email the day after my interview in what seemed like a very quick smooth process, the speed of which impressed me!

This time however I heard nothing after my interview despite being told I would know one way or the other in the following few days. After a week had passed I got quite impatient to know one way or the other and phoned up their national recruitment line. I was pleasantly surprised when the lady said I had got the job and that my induction was just a few days later but still have not received any word from the actual store and no email/text confirmation.

Which just makes me think, did I just get a job and have the company actually forget to tell me?!

Had I not phoned up the national recruitment people I would still be none the wiser and would probably have missed induction altogether as I had been booked on a jobseekers course til now.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Latest

Trending

Trending