The Student Room Group

The 5th and 6th Year Choices Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arianto
You mean you didn't get an offer or you declined the offer?

Is it rude to ask what grades you got?:colondollar:

I mean I declined it.
I got AAABB and Edinburgh gave me an unconditional.
Reply 61
:biggrin: Yay for this thread!

Ok here is my dilema!

I'm pretty sure I would like to do Law at uni, I'm thinking Glasgow and Edinburgh, and maybe warwick/durham/lancaster/york etc. Warwick and York only ask for two AHs I think.

My subject choices for next year are as follows: AH English and AH art with higher history.

I was orginally going to do AH art, english and Geography, but I feel higher history will be more beneficial to a law course, and I really don't want to do three AHs and higher history because history is a huge demand and so is art (requiring at LEAST 10 periods a week contact time). What to do?! :s-smilie:

I'm also kind of worried universities won't recognise Art as a proper subject...

(There is also the possibility of doing some AH music units, not the whole course.)
(edited 13 years ago)
I want to do Pharmacy, hopefully at Bath or Cardiff, although Strathclyde and UEA also look awesome. I'm doing English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German this year (all Highers) and I'm taking AH Chemistry, Biology and Maths next year as well as Higher History. But I'm still gutted about not taking AH English and I'm considering seeing if I can switch Maths for English. Does anyone know if Uni's look more favourably on people with 3 sciences over those with 2, and how much coursework and stuff does English have? Since I'll have the investigations in Chemistry and Biology I'm still a bit reluctant to do English because of all the extra work I'd have to do. Can anyone advise me please? Thanks. :biggrin:
What do you think about these highers; hoping to do law/ orclassics at uni :P

English
Maths
History
Latin
Business
Classical Studies

:smile:
Reply 64
Good luck making your choices :smile: My choices weren't exactly easy either!

I originally put down: AH History, AH RMPS and AH English. But i was talked out of 3 Advanced Highers.

I am now doing: AH English, AH RMPS, H Psychology and an Int2 Hospitality (I figured cooking wouldn't hurt!)
Reply 65
Original post by tryingtolearn94

English
Maths
History
Latin
Business
Classical Studies

6 highers? That is extortionate! I would recommend just five - but each to their own I suppose! I am also thinking about doing law :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by NaturalDisaster
I want to do Pharmacy, hopefully at Bath or Cardiff, although Strathclyde and UEA also look awesome. I'm doing English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German this year (all Highers) and I'm taking AH Chemistry, Biology and Maths next year as well as Higher History. But I'm still gutted about not taking AH English and I'm considering seeing if I can switch Maths for English. Does anyone know if Uni's look more favourably on people with 3 sciences over those with 2, and how much coursework and stuff does English have? Since I'll have the investigations in Chemistry and Biology I'm still a bit reluctant to do English because of all the extra work I'd have to do. Can anyone advise me please? Thanks. :biggrin:

Good luck with 3AHs next year! They'll prefer better grades then swamping yourself with work... Higher history is extremely demanding as a higher, and AHs are again, extremely demanding. I haven't heard of anyone taking 3AHs and a higher! Good luck though... just don't expect a social life or sleep for a year :wink:

(that being said I'm taking AH English and AH art which are KILLERS - apparently I won't be out the art department:eek:, H History and AH music units (performing and composition so far..)
Original post by Albertine
Good luck with 3AHs next year! They'll prefer better grades then swamping yourself with work... Higher history is extremely demanding as a higher, and AHs are again, extremely demanding. I haven't heard of anyone taking 3AHs and a higher! Good luck though... just don't expect a social life or sleep for a year :wink:

(that being said I'm taking AH English and AH art which are KILLERS - apparently I won't be out the art department:eek:, H History and AH music units (performing and composition so far..)

3AH's and a Higher is quite common....and you have more than enough time for a social life :wink: It isn't that hard if you have decent time management.
I haven't heard of anyone taking 3AHs and a higher!

4 or even 5 AHs is doable if you have the will.

Wow. That sounds like one hell of a workload. That's why I'm taking AH Maths, only subject I could take that doesn't have a flipping dissertation or anything like that. And past papers work wonders, even if the stress will kill me in the process. :lol: Someone in my school did four AH's and survived, and my friend's brother did 3 AH's and crashed Int 2 Spanish, he got something ridiculous like 3A's and a B. Grrrr. I wish I was that smart.
Reply 70
Wow. That sounds like one hell of a workload. That's why I'm taking AH Maths, only subject I could take that doesn't have a flipping dissertation or anything like that. And past papers work wonders, even if the stress will kill me in the process. :lol: Someone in my school did four AH's and survived, and my friend's brother did 3 AH's and crashed Int 2 Spanish, he got something ridiculous like 3A's and a B. Grrrr. I wish I was that smart.

Yeah I've heard AH Maths is not too bad! :smile: I suppose it depends on the subject you take... at my school if you take AH Art with Portfolio you do not have he time to take anymore than one other subjects... Crazy!
Yeah I've heard AH Maths is not too bad! :smile: I suppose it depends on the subject you take... at my school if you take AH Art with Portfolio you do not have he time to take anymore than one other subjects... Crazy!

Haha, yeah. In my school, if you take Art, Drama, Music, or any of the sciences, you're pretty much chained to that department for the whole year. I've got into the habit of grouping the 6th years by which department they live in. :lol: "Oh look, there's the music guy...and the chemistry girls...and there's the drama crew." :lol: My old drama teacher tried to talk me into AH drama, and she didn't believe me when I said I'd have no time, until I told her about 3 AH's and a Higher. :lol: Her face was priceless. Still, I pretty much live in the drama department when a show's on anyway.
Original post by tryingtolearn94

English
Maths
History
Latin
Business
Classical Studies

Nice. :yep: I think they're good for Law, English and History certainly are. :biggrin: Can't tell you about anything other than English and Maths, since I'm not doing any of the others. In English, I didn't believe people when they said "learn your texts" but seriously, LEARN YOUR TEXTS! Read them over once a week throughout the year, and then you'll barely have to revise when exam time rolls around, although definitely practice close reading and critical essays. And Maths, past papers solve all of your problems. Just grab all of them. I must have over 15 past papers and specimen papers and all that stuff. It really helps though. So yeah, that's all the advice I can give to you. Good luck with 6 Highers, by the way. I thought the workload would be massive, but seeing as I still have time to do some serious procrastinating whilst doing 5 Highers, I reckon I could've handled an extra one. Damn it. :lol:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
4 or even 5 AHs is doable if you have the will.

What, and get A's in all of them? Or even (dare I hope to get them) A1's? I'm sure that's not possible for a mere mortal mind like mine. :lol:
What, and get A's in all of them? Or even (dare I hope to get them) A1's? I'm sure that's not possible for a mere mortal mind like mine. :lol:

I managed AAAA, and others on here have done better. :dontknow: Taking more just increases the workload, rather than the intellectual difficulty. I've been asked for much more at uni, but it took me a year to adjust.
Next year for S5, I’m doing;

English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics.

I’ll be crashing Biology and I have high grades in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
I’m wondering - is the course content heavy in terms of acquired knowledge picked up in SG/Int 2?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy to put the work in the over the Summer to prepare for it.

And has anyone else did the same combination or is doing the same combination of subjects as me? I'd like to hear any opinions on it whatsoever. I’m still wondering whether to drop the Physics in favour of Geography but I've got plenty of time to decide.

I’m wanting to study Medicine.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I managed AAAA, and others on here have done better. :dontknow: Taking more just increases the workload, rather than the intellectual difficulty. I've been asked for much more at uni, but it took me a year to adjust.

Only on TSR. :rolleyes: When you need your ego bashing, just come here. I always feel so thick when I come on TSR. You lot dazzle, I just glow. :lol: Uni's going to be horrific. If I ever get it. Got to thank you though, this is probably the kick in the ass I needed to actually go and revise. :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by légèreté

I’ll be crashing Biology and I have high grades in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
I’m wondering - is the course content heavy in terms of acquired knowledge picked up in SG/Int 2?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy to put the work in the over the Summer to prepare for it.

And has anyone else did the same combination or is doing the same combination of subjects as me? I'd like to hear any opinions on it whatsoever. I’m still wondering whether to drop the Physics in favour of Geography but I've got plenty of time to decide.

Um, not really that much standard grade content. There is more to remember that in Chemistry, I find. I couldn't say how hard it is in comparison to Physics because I didn't do Higher. But yeah, there's a hell of a lot more to memorise in Biology than there is in Chemistry. I hate this subject. Or maybe it's just my patronising teacher and her frustrating favouritism, it hardly encourages love of a subject.
Anyone here studied Higher Latin? I'm wanting to crash it in 6th year and wanted to know what I'm getting myself into.
Original post by légèreté

If I was you - and I am particularly lazy at times - I'd drop Physics for Geography. I crashed them both this year (S6) and whereas I've picked up Geography very easily, Physics has become the bane of my existence :frown: However! It's probably much easier for someone who did SG such as yourself :smile: Also, if you just take Glasgow for example, they ask for Chem & Bio as standard but give you the option between Maths & Physics. So really it's no big deal whichever one you choose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending