The Student Room Group

Pre-Application Medicine Applicants 2012 Profiles-Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taunt
Thanks for reply, and no your "essay" was fun to good to read lol
You say you managed to get an A in physics, despite having got two B's in exam, how does that work?? lol

Yep, Im a right stress head, I was just wondering what universities you will apply to this time round, because i've heard you cant apply to the same uni's the next year??

I'm pleased my rambling isnt too much of a drag :smile:

Thats rubbish! Well, I take that back, its not complete rubbish, some of them won't acept reapplicants (i wanna say Liverpool though i'm not sure). I spoke to some at a UCAS fair thingy and St. Andrews were really nice and said that it wouldn't be a bad thing to apply again cause I'd have my results, maybe be more mature, have more experience. Think Aberdeen also have the same sort of view too. Plus it shows commitment to the uni. I'm reapplying to both of them but I'm not applying to my other two Edinburgh and Dundee because I didn't really care about Dundee, it was just a 4th choice, and Edinburgh were rude to me twice on seperate occasions so they're off the Christmas card list :tongue: I'm thinking maybe Cardiff or Queens Belfast but I'm not sure, I'm just focusing on getting though my exams first :^_^:

I got round that one with more or less full makrs on my coursework, it brung me up so much, I got the exact marks needed to an A lol I absolutely hated the coursework and that was the only reason i didn't take it to full A-level (well that and that I was told I was already doing to much) but it saved my academic life! lol Tbh I shoulda done more revision and listened more nearer the exam cause I'd get high A's in mocks but then flopped on the real ones, oh wells :rolleyes: whats even more amazing is that in Chemistry my friend got two U's in her exams, yet managed to pass with an E because her coursework as an A, she was like :dance: cause she knew she hadn't done well in the exams :tongue:

Just some advice from one semi-stress head to another - don't go on this too much lol I'm realising more and more that i'm on this and not doing work - which doesnt help when you're stressing out that you cant remember anything and that you're going to fail at life lol
Reply 41
Original post by a1994
Looks like its only wales! Otherwise that seems really good!
Thats cool, haha, i know what u mean :')
Same, i really worry about that part of my application, i do like to draw, read etc, but i like relaxing more lazy hobbies, not like climbing up everest or anything amazing. I'm not sure, liked Nottigham, and UEA looks good, yes i booked it today, you?

I know hobby thing so annoying - basically because i am lazy. Ye booked Ukcat for 11th of August. Looked at some practice ones can believe how little time you get :frown:. HOw are you going to prepare ? Ye i looked at UEA but they only let u do one module resit over all (haven't done any yet but might have to next year and dont want to risk it )
Reply 42
Original post by thegodofgod
I'm Indian lol - going there on holiday over the summer and asked my uncle to help organize it :smile:

o ok that makes sense :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Quackers93
I'm pleased my rambling isnt too much of a drag :smile:

Thats rubbish! Well, I take that back, its not complete rubbish, some of them won't acept reapplicants (i wanna say Liverpool though i'm not sure). I spoke to some at a UCAS fair thingy and St. Andrews were really nice and said that it wouldn't be a bad thing to apply again cause I'd have my results, maybe be more mature, have more experience. Think Aberdeen also have the same sort of view too. Plus it shows commitment to the uni. I'm reapplying to both of them but I'm not applying to my other two Edinburgh and Dundee because I didn't really care about Dundee, it was just a 4th choice, and Edinburgh were rude to me twice on seperate occasions so they're off the Christmas card list :tongue: I'm thinking maybe Cardiff or Queens Belfast but I'm not sure, I'm just focusing on getting though my exams first :^_^:

I got round that one with more or less full makrs on my coursework, it brung me up so much, I got the exact marks needed to an A lol I absolutely hated the coursework and that was the only reason i didn't take it to full A-level (well that and that I was told I was already doing to much) but it saved my academic life! lol Tbh I shoulda done more revision and listened more nearer the exam cause I'd get high A's in mocks but then flopped on the real ones, oh wells :rolleyes: whats even more amazing is that in Chemistry my friend got two U's in her exams, yet managed to pass with an E because her coursework as an A, she was like :dance: cause she knew she hadn't done well in the exams :tongue:

Just some advice from one semi-stress head to another - don't go on this too much lol I'm realising more and more that i'm on this and not doing work - which doesnt help when you're stressing out that you cant remember anything and that you're going to fail at life lol

thanks, yeh your right, Im doing like no revsiion and jsut blumin dicussing them more on this lol which isnt good, but yeh anyway, thanks alot for advice, you've like helped more than the careers advisor lol

anyway, if i have any more questions in future, ill probably ask you lol hope you dont mind:tongue:

anyway, best of luck for your application, genuinly hope you get an offer this time round:smile:
Reply 44
Original post by rsp
I know hobby thing so annoying - basically because i am lazy. Ye booked Ukcat for 11th of August. Looked at some practice ones can believe how little time you get :frown:. HOw are you going to prepare ? Ye i looked at UEA but they only let u do one module resit over all (haven't done any yet but might have to next year and dont want to risk it )

hey, until what date do you have to book the ukcat for???? I mean whens the deadline for booking lol???

thanks in advance
Original post by taunt
thanks, yeh your right, Im doing like no revsiion and jsut blumin dicussing them more on this lol which isnt good, but yeh anyway, thanks alot for advice, you've like helped more than the careers advisor lol

anyway, if i have any more questions in future, ill probably ask you lol hope you dont mind:tongue:

anyway, best of luck for your application, genuinly hope you get an offer this time round:smile:

I've been doing this for ages now, it was my college career advisor who pointed me on to this before my jan exams - such a bad idea lol :tongue: Aww at least now I feel that this hasn't been a complete waste of revision time :smile: as long as i've helped someone... isn't that what being a doctor is all about? lol

Thanks! :smile: Good luck to you too! :biggrin: Yeah sure :^_^: if you have any questions, fire away :smile: you can tell I like talking so I'm sure even if I can't help, I'll babble on about sometihng anyways, though hopefully I can help :smile:
Original post by rsp
o ok that makes sense :smile:

Or rather, organize it for me :ninja: :getmecoat:
Reply 47
Original post by taunt
hey, until what date do you have to book the ukcat for???? I mean whens the deadline for booking lol???

thanks in advance

well u have to take it by October - bit more expensive to take it after September. not sure about the booking deadline , but if you live somewhere 'remote' you might want to book it soon or the nearest center might not have any spaces left and you would have to travel further. But there is no reason not to book it now (unless waiting for £) because u can book it for any date.
Reply 48
Original post by rsp
seems way too early but why not ?

ear of Entry: 2012
GCSEs: 8.5 A* 5 A
AS Subjects: Chemistry Biology Maths History Welsh Bac
AS Module Grades: Jan 11: A A A (no history exam in jan)
A2 Prediction/Results: no idea waiting untill august results
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week in GP -planned 1 week in hospital in August , ah not relevant but did 2 weeks at a court ages ago :smile:
Volunteering :
Pyramid project - after school club - since January
vitalise -1 week
help at a primary school once a week - since October
British red cross , event first aid , since January .
Extra curricular:
Photography OCN course
ART - (did gcse out of school)
rock climbing - now and then
ice skating - now and then - doing lessons in summer though
'university' module in ancient greek history (10 cets)
Poll clerk :smile: (just to earn money £££££)

..... o wait i am procrastinating from revising

Heyyyy fellow red cross volunteer :biggrin: lol what territory/area are you in? I'm from Hampshire, Surrey & IOW (Surrey) :biggrin: I do EFA, but I've also done a lot of peer ed and general fundraising in the last two years :biggrin:
Reply 49
Oh and here's my addition to the thread, probably the crappiest one out of the lot! :wink:

Year of Entry: 2012

GCSEs: 4 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's
AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology (had maths, but it died on me, and I will be taking a fourth AS next year in Sociology/Religious Studies/Economics - still can't decide!!) + EPQ

AS Module Grades: Jan 11: C C C (all retaking)

Work Experience/Volunteering:
Work Experience: One week in A&E at Epsom General Hospital - planned, one week in Winnicott Baby Unit (Neonatal) at St. Mary's Hospital - planned, one week at RNOH - in planning
Volunteering: Been 2 and a bit years with the British Red Cross doing Event First Aid, Peer Ed & Fundraising :smile: & starting volunteering in a local old people's care home every week till uni :smile:

Extra Curricular: Singing (working on grade 5 atm), Writing (in the process of editing and publication), Bollywood Dancing, since forever :biggrin: with Karan's Bollywood Masterclass (KSparks Entertainment) for the last three ish years :smile:
Love to read, I will read absolutley anything and everything, so, yeah :smile: also I love cooking fooood :biggrin:
Oh and I'm doing my Gold DofE (finally gotten Bronze and Silver in the bag :biggrin: )

Yeah my life is kinda weird :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Hennnaa
Oh and here's my addition to the thread, probably the crappiest one out of the lot! :wink:

Year of Entry: 2012

GCSEs: 4 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's
AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology (had maths, but it died on me, and I will be taking a fourth AS next year in Sociology/Religious Studies/Economics - still can't decide!!) + EPQ

AS Module Grades: Jan 11: C C C (all retaking)

Work Experience/Volunteering:
Work Experience: One week in A&E at Epsom General Hospital - planned, one week in Winnicott Baby Unit (Neonatal) at St. Mary's Hospital - planned, one week at RNOH - in planning
Volunteering: Been 2 and a bit years with the British Red Cross doing Event First Aid, Peer Ed & Fundraising :smile: & starting volunteering in a local old people's care home every week till uni :smile:

Extra Curricular: Singing (working on grade 5 atm), Writing (in the process of editing and publication), Bollywood Dancing, since forever :biggrin: with Karan's Bollywood Masterclass (KSparks Entertainment) for the last three ish years :smile:
Love to read, I will read absolutley anything and everything, so, yeah :smile: also I love cooking fooood :biggrin:
Oh and I'm doing my Gold DofE (finally gotten Bronze and Silver in the bag :biggrin: )

Yeah my life is kinda weird :biggrin:

Definitly not crappy :tongue: what medical schools you thinking of applying to? :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by sumsum123
Definitly not crappy :tongue: what medical schools you thinking of applying to? :smile:

Haha, if you think so...I'm thinking of the ones in my sig - Imperial, UCL & Southampton are pretty definite, but I'm still deciding between Barts, KCL and SGUL, Barts is clearly winning atm, also unsure whether it would do me any good to apply to Biology & Psychology at QMUL as a backup... :/ You? :smile:
:biggrin: , Definitlyy okay ! :smile: be as critical as needs be, I'd rather have honesty any day so thank you for the advice. I would not dream of it , I really have to apply carefully to med schools and work to other strengths. GCSE's were just a let-down , had to be down to my mind-set back then. The school I was from had 31% pass rates , it was all about getting the C's to get into a decent college. Not their fault nonetheless :smile: .

Just got to work harder and harder :biggrin: , have you booked the ukcat exam yet?

Dude, you'd be at an advantage then (if you come from a school with a poor background)!
Reply 53
Original post by Hennnaa
Heyyyy fellow red cross volunteer :biggrin: lol what territory/area are you in? I'm from Hampshire, Surrey & IOW (Surrey) :biggrin: I do EFA, but I've also done a lot of peer ed and general fundraising in the last two years :biggrin:

Hey, Cardiff area :smile: . have you done your training for EFA. ? I havent done it yet doing it juneish
Reply 54
Original post by thegodofgod
Dude, you'd be at an advantage then (if you come from a school with a poor background)!

Advantage? What do you mean sorry :redface: ? Never even thought that would be taken into account :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Hennnaa
Haha, if you think so...I'm thinking of the ones in my sig - Imperial, UCL & Southampton are pretty definite, but I'm still deciding between Barts, KCL and SGUL, Barts is clearly winning atm, also unsure whether it would do me any good to apply to Biology & Psychology at QMUL as a backup... :/ You? :smile:

Oh okay, nice choices :smile: im thinking of Leicester and keele so far. :biggrin:
Advantage? What do you mean sorry :redface: ? Never even thought that would be taken into account :smile:

It might be taken into account. Only if your school is a truly terrible performer and is externally recognized as so.
Reply 57
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It might be taken into account. Only if your school is a truly terrible performer and is externally recognized as so.

Oh okay, thanks :smile: I don't really know much apart from it having a 31% pass rate 5 GCSE,S A*-C but thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Oh okay, thanks :smile: I don't really know much apart from it having a 31% pass rate 5 GCSE,S A*-C , and that it was a Btec school which restricted max GCSE,s to 8 , but thanks anyway :smile: , Im concentrating on other areas to make up for the short-coming :tongue: .

You'd have to get lower GCSE grades than applicants, who for example went to an awesome state school or a private school as they would have had a "better education" - so they cards are in your hands (so to speak) in terms of GCSE grade requirements.

If you go to the same / similar kind of school for A levels, you'd probably have to get something like ABB to get a place, as opposed to the normal AAA. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending