The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I really can't see The Hangover 2 being any good. Someone prove me wrong!
http://www.chud.com/51224/bradley-cooper-thinks-its-better-to-reign-in-hell-than-kneel-in-heaven/

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. :facepalm2:
Original post by Hedger
Just watched Water for Elephants.

Christoph Waltz was absolutely brilliant. He truly made the film.

Hello again everybody! I just got back from a little holiday to Petrozavodsk (smallish Russian city)... Fun times.

Since there wasn't a whole lot to do there, we went to the cinema on Monday, where we watched Water for Elephants. I'll need to watch it again in English just to make sure I get all the little intricacies and stuff, but I must say I quite enjoyed it... I got a tiny bit bored towards the end, but overall I liked it.

Surprisingly, I didn't find Robert Pattinson anywhere near as annoying as I'd expected to :colondollar: Christoph Waltz was indeed brilliant, and the part where he went totally nuts on the elephant (don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not?) actually made me cry.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Anyone else going to the Empire Big Screen? Know when the tickets are being pre-released?

what is that exactly? a special screening at empire cinemas? I'm suddenly interested....

and Hey Mimi :smile:
Dissertation done! :dance:

I rewatched all of Freaks and Geeks during the past couple of weeks. Yes, it's tv, but in my opinion still the best thing that's come from Apatow. Not to mention that it served as a starting point for the likes of James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, etc. I adore the show, it's near perfection!! Shame it got cancelled so early on.

Also watched I love you, Man last night. Thought it was pretty descent, although I felt the second half of the film wasn't as funny as the first. Don't know what happened there, maybe I was just tired.
Original post by elisabethbridge
I rewatched all of Freaks and Geeks during the past couple of weeks. Yes, it's tv, but in my opinion still the best thing that's come from Apatow. Not to mention that it served as a starting point for the likes of James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, etc. I adore the show, it's near perfection!! Shame it got cancelled so early on.

It's such a good TV show. I found it interesting to see such famous actors before they were famous, and they're all so good in it. I totally agree that it's the best thing Apatow's ever done... Though I think if it hadn't been cancelled, it might have gone on to decrease in quality - I quite like the whole 'crash and burn' thing with TV shows, rather than when they drag on and get stale.
Original post by Phalanges

I'm a sucker for a good montage.

A good song makes a montage.
Original post by mimimimi
It's such a good TV show. I found it interesting to see such famous actors before they were famous, and they're all so good in it. I totally agree that it's the best thing Apatow's ever done... Though I think if it hadn't been cancelled, it might have gone on to decrease in quality - I quite like the whole 'crash and burn' thing with TV shows, rather than when they drag on and get stale.

True what you say about shows dragging on. I think it's the way the ending of the show felt a bit rushed, due to it not even allowed a full season, that most annoys me.
Original post by elisabethbridge
Dissertation done! :dance:

Also watched I love you, Man last night. Thought it was pretty descent, although I felt the second half of the film wasn't as funny as the first. Don't know what happened there, maybe I was just tired.

I liked most of I love you man, it was funny in parts but it did sort of slow down in the second half, I thought that as well. Jason Segel is just so fitting of the role though, it really worked for him

Also Rashida jones :adore: the woman is beeautiful
Original post by lukejoshjedi
I liked most of I love you man, it was funny in parts but it did sort of slow down in the second half, I thought that as well. Jason Segel is just so fitting of the role though, it really worked for him

Also Rashida jones :adore: the woman is beeautiful

Ha, Segel wearing Ugg boots was gold! :biggrin:
dunno if anyone already has posted this but it looks really interesting

you can read a bit about it here:
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/trailer-martha-marcy-marlene-starring-elizabeth-olsen
what is that exactly? a special screening at empire cinemas? I'm suddenly interested....

and Hey Mimi :smile:

http://www.empireonline.com/bigscreen/
Reply 1653
Original post by mimimimi
Hello again everybody! I just got back from a little holiday to Petrozavodsk (smallish Russian city)... Fun times.

Since there wasn't a whole lot to do there, we went to the cinema on Monday, where we watched Water for Elephants. I'll need to watch it again in English just to make sure I get all the little intricacies and stuff, but I must say I quite enjoyed it... I got a tiny bit bored towards the end, but overall I liked it.

Surprisingly, I didn't find Robert Pattinson anywhere near as annoying as I'd expected to :colondollar: Christoph Waltz was indeed brilliant, and the part where he went totally nuts on the elephant (don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not?) actually made me cry.

It was a really good film and to think I only watched it out of sheer reluctance! Reese was very good as well but Waltz was just spectacular, end of story. He pulled everything together nicely and instead of watching a depressingly boring "She's too good for me" love story, it was a truly gripping film.

Also, I wish Robert would just man the **** up sometimes and ****ing smile. The depressed idiot. When will girl's realise it's a total front? The ***** just a boring, lifeless, depressing bastard trying to get girls by coming off as 'shy' and 'awkward'.
Loser. He was seriously irritating to watch. /rant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hedger
It was a really good film and to think I only watched it out of sheer reluctance! Reese was very good as well but Waltz was just spectacular, end of story. He pulled everything together nicely and instead of watching a depressingly boring "She's too good for me" love story, it was a truly gripping film.

Also, I wish Robert would just man the **** up sometimes and ****ing smile. The depressed idiot. When will girl's realise it's a total front? The ***** just a boring, lifeless, depressing bastard trying to get girls by coming off as 'shy' and 'awkward'.
Loser. He was seriously irritating to watch. /rant.

The storyline reminded me a bit of Moulin Rouge, I guess... The classic love triangle but with a bit of a twist (ie. cabaret/circus). I prefer Moulin Rouge though, as it's one of my favourite films, but Water for Elephants was good. As I said before, I think I need to re-watch it in English before I can make my mind up for sure!

This is the first film I've ever seen with Robert Pattinson in... I assumed he'd be as you described, but I didn't think he came off particularly bad in Water for Elephants. I wouldn't say he's anything great, but as I said, I didn't find him as annoying as I'd expected to.
Original post by Phalanges
:hello:

You seen the new Assassins Creed info? :coma:
Hanna is the best acton thriller film I've seen since Bourne. Saoirse Ronan is a phenomenal actress; she will have an Oscar before she's 25, I guarantee it.

After seeing such mediocre crap as Sucker Punch, Arthur, Scream 4, it feels so refreshing to see such a great film. Seriously, go and see it.

oh right, looks cool,you're gonna going to that?

and Phalanges, Scream 4 mediocre? :eek: well sadly I kinda agree with you, I really wanted it to be better but it was decidedly average imo, the end was slightly far out to say the least and I thought they could have used a lot of the characters more / developed them more
Lincoln update for y'all:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036467

Speilberg, Daniel Day Lewis, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Tommy Lee Jones, James Spader, John Hawkes and Hal Holbrook.
oh right, looks cool,you're gonna going to that?

and Phalanges, Scream 4 mediocre? :eek: well sadly I kinda agree with you, I really wanted it to be better but it was decidedly average imo, the end was slightly far out to say the least and I thought they could have used a lot of the characters more / developed them more

Yeah definitely :smile: just waiting for the tickets to be released now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending