The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

ystd my dad ask how's everything and i told him i was worried. and he said no need worry, just enjoy life.. and then....

omg omg omg.. i was in train this morning and i saw the offer :biggrin: FINALLY OMG OMG OMG OMG.. >.< *faints*
Original post by bellameow
ystd my dad ask how's everything and i told him i was worried. and he said no need worry, just enjoy life.. and then....

omg omg omg.. i was in train this morning and i saw the offer :biggrin: FINALLY OMG OMG OMG OMG.. >.< *faints*

congrats man! seems like ur dad's advice was true :biggrin: when r u going to hertfordshire?
thanks.. after i settle payment.. then it will be sept this year :biggrin: are you going there too?
thanks.. after i settle payment.. then it will be sept this year :biggrin: are you going there too?

haha im going hertford at oxford instead, not hertfordshire :tongue:
i thought u settle the payment after u r there alr?
i see.. deposit i mean.. :smile: so exciting :smile:
Reply 2465
Original post by Kammylove
Haha I've applied for Dalton Ellis and two other places in Victoria park! Haha fallowfield is so far from campus! And a fren of mine there told me the bus routes can sometimes get crowded in the morning!

Dalton Ellis looks v. nice! i'm considering applying there...LOL my senior said vic park was dodgy so it put me off. guess we'll just have to get there and see for ourselves! can't wait!
Im not really sure how many times this has been mentioned in this thread. either u're lazy to view the previous pages or u're just plain lazy.

CAS is the confirmation-of-acceptance studies number. you only get that number if u pay half of your first year uni's tuition fees. upon receipt of the money, the uni will send u an email which u can print out for future reference.

i have mentioned this and other issues in great detail in my previous posts in this thread. so go look for them. if u dun, its your loss.

you guys are lucky to have Narev share alot of stuff with you. we're alrdy in UK but we still come back to this forum to assist you guys.. whether or not u guys will do the same in future is a foregone conclusion.

here, singaporeans shun each other especially when they're doin the same course. cos they see each other as 'threats'. they always act blur and dumb when u need help and require them to redirect u accordingly..

they're very proud to hold the SG passport in London Heathrow airport, flashing and parading it around. they think by doin that, they will receive star treatment. idiots.

but when they meet fellow country-mates who're doin the same course, they shiver and ignore u. they view u as a competitor, an obstacle to them securing theire 2:1 or possible Dean's List honours.

september is comin soon. some of u guys may commence uni in october. its all now down to u. u're gonna be faced with alot of obstacles and will encounter situations where things will appear messy.

maintain correspondence with your uni officer regularly. if u have to, call them as well. they have a few thousand other students to oversee so u cannot expect them to remember you. emails and phone calls to them are vital.

in august, the visa office in SG will be jammed packed. pple often forget to bring the rite documents. they also dun bring cash, instead flash their shiny plastic bank cards. pointless..... why? look at my previous posts..

narev, u indian?
Original post by Chad Storm
but when they meet fellow country-mates who're doin the same course, they shiver and ignore u. they view u as a competitor, an obstacle to them securing theire 2:1 or possible Dean's List honours.

tut. why so kyasu ah? isn't it nice to meet another countrymate in a foreign land? well i'm not a singaporean, just happened to be studying in singapore for sec and jc. n i'm always quite excited to make friend with my own countrymate
sorry for asking what is cas. it was hard to understand till u explain it. thanks.

btw i'm not singaporean but working here because my parents ask me to.
Reply 2469
Oh my.

Well, I'll probably post more misc stuff here then!

For one, I'm not Indian, but Chinese - quite unsure why you have that impression, Chad Storm :P

Do Singaporeans shun each other?
I've personally never experienced Singaporeans shunning each other initially, but I think this is dependent on generation and number of Singaporeans studying at Warwick, and possibly how strong the Singapore Society at the University is.

I would like to think (but this is probably a generalization), that whether Singaporeans shun each other is dependent on three things - I'll give my own accounts at Warwick:

1. Strength of Singapore Society at University. (Some Universities, there will be a Malaysia + Singapore Society, because there are not enough Singaporeans, since most student unions require a Society requiring a minimum amount of members to be set up) I don't want to be biased. In my first two years, there was a strong Singapore Society - events were catered for *all* years, as opposed to only 'freshers'. So we mix about, etc, know each other. The Singapore Society in my second year was extraordinarily strong (half were PSC scholars), and any one of them could be the President. Worked damn well. The Singsoc of this academic year however, didn't match up to the standards - emails / facebook groups of events didn't reach Year 3s, and some of us felt quite left out, especially since most of our batch contributed heavily to Singsoc in the last two years.

2. Number of Singaporeans studying at University. Generally lesser Singaporeans will mean a closer-knit community (who else can you turn to if you need help?)

3. Number of Singaporeans in course. I dread to bring this topic in, because this is also dependent on personality. For essay based courses, there are only a maximum number of Firsts to be handed out. For essays which ought to deserve a First, but can't be awarded (due to cap limit), you are given a mark of 69. I have heard from Law students at Warwick that law firms in the UK will ask for your overall results in % just to find out whether you are a strong 2:1 student (but 68% or below), or a 69% 2:1 student (which means the student would have received a First, but the number of Firsts were capped). Unsure if this is only Warwick though. But I know Singaporean law students who are otherwise friendly (to non Law people), but would not help anyone (Singaporeans or otherwise) for their essays, because their 'ideas' if copied could mean the difference between a 2:1 or a First.

That being said, for Sciences, Singaporeans can be quite friendly. I'm not sure if this holds for *most* Universities, but at Warwick, the bell curve is only used if marks are to be scaled up. It is a *very* rare event when marks are scaled down (this is when the paper is too easy and majority - or maybe all, would have scored Firsts) Otherwise you keep your marks. So there will be sharing of ideas / techniques on how to solve computational questions, since everyone learns more, and therefore get a higher grade. An example would be the MORSE Society at Warwick. http://www.warwickmorsesociety.com/ - Check out the Academic tab (Drop-Ins, Lecture Notes, Revision Guides) - especially the latter two, and the Download tab. Most of these material was done by a Singaporean.

Laziness
Most of us are like that, unfortunately. Whether angmoh, Singaporean, Asian - we will always ask (very little effort), as compared to look through previous posts, or google, or... I think the majority of people here are either those who have just graduated from JC/poly, or have served / are serving NS and want to come overseas. My suggestion: Don't ask, and expect everything to be given to you. In whatever you do now, only ask when you can't get another answer, despite trying everything. (Besides, even if you ask, what are the odds of receiving an answer in the next five minutes, when a quick google search will net you the answer in two minutes?) :smile:

Obstacles
They happen. Judge the severity please. Rule of thumb (I'm probably being a MCP here - sorry), but unless you're a pretty/attractive girl, do try to solve everything on your own first. I must admit I am guilty of choosing to help certain people do something which I feel is "damn obvious", and I realize that most of the time, it's because that person is attractive. I'll give some examples below.

Maintenance Works
Your University will either have an office, or an online reporting form, or both. Please do not call your housemate to help you walk to the office and report if you are lazy to walk. This kind of thing does happen (because we like to take advantage of people mah :smile:

XXX person/institution hasn't replied to me yet issues
Call them personally or email them. No point asking housemates / Department / Uni support officer / etc. Cause their advice would either be:
1) Wait (which is not helpful)
2) Ask you to contact the relevant people (which is what you should do :P)
3) Or act as middleman, which causes more delay

But if it is a bank issue and you really need money, go ask the Singapore Society / Malaysian Society in your University for help *if* you want the least hassle. Rule of thumb is seeing any official person will require filling up of forms, and very mafan.

Relationship Issues
This might seem counter-intuitive, but unless there are a LOT of Singaporeans at your University, don't try to start a relationship with a Singaporean unless both of you are mature, and your friends are mature. Or unless you are lucky. It is possible that if it fails, the unlucky one will be shunned by most of his (or her) cohort. So maybe that could be point number 4) above!

Ok, shall stop typing now. Else it will seem that going to the UK is actually a very grim situation, when actually, it could be the best three (or four) years of your life!

*Like how JC could be the best two (or three) years of your life!

On an unrelated note, I think it would be nice if maybe someone would type a guide out or something for Singaporeans going overseas...maybe put in British Council. That would help a lot :smile: And penalty for people posting stuff like: "Omg help uRGenT ZZ LOL" when such information is in the guide is that they will be denied a visa. Or something :smile:
Reply 2470
Haha , its a shocker to hear from chad that singaporean shun each other overseas , whenever i go overseas singaporean are all so easy to spot and cheerful

anyone applied visa with the new ruling yet? from what i read its uni min requirement + embassy requirement?
Original post by gandhistoto
tut. why so kyasu ah? isn't it nice to meet another countrymate in a foreign land? well i'm not a singaporean, just happened to be studying in singapore for sec and jc. n i'm always quite excited to make friend with my own countrymate

life is not so rosy. u din serve NS so i dun blame u. NS really prepares you for the life outside. I was a former regular, I left as a 1SG, first sergeant to pursue my studies here. the military life reely tot me alot of things tat my parents din even talk about. even the school books din cover it.

sorry for asking what is cas. it was hard to understand till u explain it. thanks. btw i'm not singaporean but working here because my parents ask me to.

ensure that the university's bank account number and sort code is correct. POSB was great for me cos the officer-in-charge of my bank transfer verified the validity of both those data before making the transfer and everything was monitored with a tracking number. the officer told me that nothing would go wrong and if anything did, they can easily track where the money went to cos there's a tracking number.

Original post by Narev
Oh my.

Well, I'll probably post more misc stuff here then!

For one, I'm not Indian, but Chinese - quite unsure why you have that impression, Chad Storm :P

Narev sounds like an indian name. but it doesn't matter. cos we are all the same. we are from SG. no matter what the political situation back home, don't forgot that racial harmony is extremely important. don't throw away what so many people have died for in our past.

ok. i wanna highlight something else. if you guys have laptops that are dying or u know that they r slow in performance, better get a new one or something. don't wait till u come here and then suddenly panic cos u realise your laptop not up to par.

the thing is when u're here, u dun wanna be bogged down by things like researchin on which laptop to buy, etc. u juz wanna get used to the place and the weather and of cos get comfortable with the syllabus.

if u wanna buy a laptop from here, u can get uni discount. rite now the only brands i noe tats offering this is Sony Vaio and Apple.
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/education_pricing

oh. and make sure that your accommodation first choices are near the uni campus. dun be hero and choose somewhere far away cos its cheaper. u wil regret. like in my case, my first 2 choices were full. in the end they sent me to some dumpster. 45 mins away from campus. its not reely a big deal durin the summer or much cooler weather but can be a hassle when the weather gets horrible.

when u submit your choices to the accommodation officers via email, u mite wanna tell them to put u in either mixed gender flats or flats where there's pple from diff nationalities. if not, they may juz put u with people from China, Taiwan, HK & Macau. im not insinuating anythin, i juz tot u guys shld noe.

if u can, buy like a few jackets and trackpants from SG. it's cold here. which is nice. but its also nice to be properly attired/clothed. there r many stores here where u can buy clothes from. like winter clothing to keep u warmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
http://www.sportsdirect.com/
http://www.jdsports.co.uk/home

bring your perfumes. the weather here is excellent to put on perfume cos u can test the longevity of it. i dunnoe why alot of pple waste money at departmental stores buyin perfumes when they can buy at the following 2 places. this 2 places are the ones tat supply perfumes in and around SG. ask for a discount and u will definitely get one.
http://www.jasina.com.sg/3Services.htm
http://www.streetdirectory.com/businessfinder/company_detail.php?companyid=24836&branchid=19634

the first one is situated infront of Parliament House which is after Funan IT Mall, cross the traffic light and u'll see a nice building. the shop is the first one on the left upon entry. gd discounts and gd service.
the second one is located beside the SEX shop when u walk out from City Hall MRT to peninsular plaza. its along the same stretch as after BATA shop and before Old Chang Kee and 7/11. i've been goin to them for five years or so. always give gd price and i keep goin back for more.

pple here drink hot chocolate. milo very hard to get. i manage to find them from the indian shops here. there's many chinese grocery shops here so dun worry. u'll be able to get your condiments, sauces, fishballs and everything chinese. believe me, eatin burgers and fries everyday can be a bore.

if u have any questions juz post them here and im sure u will be advised accordingly.

Later!
Original post by boucy
Haha , its a shocker to hear from chad that singaporean shun each other overseas , whenever i go overseas singaporean are all so easy to spot and cheerful

anyone applied visa with the new ruling yet? from what i read its uni min requirement + embassy requirement?

1) where r u referrin to when u say 'overseas'?
2) what was the one, singular, longest period of time u were 'overseas' for?
3) what was the purpose of your trips 'overseas'?
4) who are those singaporeans u say that are all so 'easy to spot...'?

if you have nothing constructive to contribute, go find out what are the possible job prospects and opportunities that r open to u, when u successfully attain a pass degree in International Studies..
Reply 2473
Original post by Chad Storm
1) where r u referrin to when u say 'overseas'?
2) what was the one, singular, longest period of time u were 'overseas' for?
3) what was the purpose of your trips 'overseas'?
4) who are those singaporeans u say that are all so 'easy to spot...'?

if you have nothing constructive to contribute, go find out what are the possible job prospects and opportunities that r open to u, when u successfully attain a pass degree in International Studies..

HAHAHA why so offensive? do you have something to hide?
I travel overseas often , for performance , tours etc
Longest was a few months and shortest was a few days. So how constructive are you?

Thus it was a shocker to me to hear you say , it was a totally different from the experience i had. Perhaps the issue lies with you judging from your post
:biggrin: thanks for all the info :smile: payment will be made in msia though.. through parents account..
Reply 2475
More misc replies because it's raining..

Living off campus
More often than not, you'll get disruptions / planned maintenance to the London Underground (eg. yesterday got unplanned Piccadilly line delay - which meant had to take an alternative route to Singaporean Embassy, but the Londoners were used to it). Similarly in Coventry, there'll be crowds of students trying to squeeze onto buses - sometimes a bus can be 3/4 full, but will not pick up remaining 1/4 at bus stop if the queue looks too long for a driver. Or when it's snowing, there'll be no buses. Do take note of these if you want to live off campus :smile:

To Boucy - I don't want to sound cynical, but things are different when you're touring a country - you're a new face there to Singaporeans - I had a very pleasant chat with a Singaporean I met in Turkey - but well, when you have Singaporeans living together for a long time - familiarity breeds contempt. However, again this is due to personalities of the Singaporeans - not all of them are like that, but some of them are. Generally though, I find people who are relatively *wealthier* / not on same course better to get along with overseas - in the sense that they don't see you as a potential competitor (eg scholarship holder need to get a First), or those parents really save up every penny to send them overseas. But to emphasise, again this is due to personality of these people.

And of course, you'll find people are friendly to you when you have something to give. This applies to everyone, not just Singaporeans.

Food
You actually get more Indian food (and surprisingly hard to find Malay food) in the UK. Indian takeaways not very value for money (in terms of quantity) but Chinese takeaways are (in terms of quantity as well). But be careful of Chinese food. Usually these restaurants / takeaway places are set up by HK people and not mainland China, and they're willing to give discount / better meals *provided* you immediately start off a conversation with them in Mandarin.

Lectures
Skip them only if you intend to score averagely well in the module, or the material is somewhat familiar to what you have covered previously (other modules / A level / Poly / etc). Otherwise, you need to work insanely hard in the holidays if you want a good 2:1 or a First. Basically you can skip lectures. Just choose the right ones to skip. This also depends on how your University sets up its assessment system. For my course, it is the overall average that determines a first - 71%. So I tend to group modules in groups of 2-3 (I have 10 modules on average a year). There'll be easy and hard modules in a group - so I just want to make sure that 'group' gets a 71% average. In other words, for the hard modules, I study enough to pass or get a 2:2. For the easy modules, I spend a bit more time on them to score extremely well. You *will* see people at University spending loads of time on a hard module to understand it, sacrificing time on easy modules - but to me, since all modules have the same weightage (easy or hard), it's not efficient. Why spend 50 hours on a module just to raise your grade by 10%, when you can spend 50 hours on an easier module to raise it by 30%? :P

*I admit this actually isn't a very good practice though...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by boucy
HAHAHA why so offensive? do you have something to hide?
I travel overseas often , for performance , tours etc
Longest was a few months and shortest was a few days. So how constructive are you?

Thus it was a shocker to me to hear you say , it was a totally different from the experience i had. Perhaps the issue lies with you judging from your post

So i put it to you that u were not 'overseas' to study?
Can i safely deduce that u have not been enrolled into an institution of higher education i.e uni?
Therefore u were never in a university environment where there's lectures, seminars, overnight camping sessions in the library to source for material, etc?

the content in my post was in reference to to university situations, not other aspects. If you cannot comprehend simple, unflowery sentences in the form of my post, why then do u even bother to draw my attention with your keyboard warrior antics?

yes, i have somethin to hide. im hiding the shame and anguish i felt when i read both your posts in response to mine. i asked you 4 simple questions and u did the very typical thing of someone who is of low intellect; by redirecting another question to me. abyssmal..

listen, this forum is not about u and me. if u need attention, go audition for a slot on a Channel 8 drama. otherwise, go find a tarantula and release your tensions.
Original post by Narev
More misc replies because it's raining..

To Boucy - I don't want to sound cynical, but things are different when you're touring a country - you're a new face there to Singaporeans - I had a very pleasant chat with a Singaporean I met in Turkey - but well, when you have Singaporeans living together for a long time - familiarity breeds contempt. However, again this is due to personalities of the Singaporeans - not all of them are like that, but some of them are. Generally though, I find people who are relatively *wealthier* / not on same course better to get along with overseas - in the sense that they don't see you as a potential competitor (eg scholarship holder need to get a First), or those parents really save up every penny to send them overseas. But to emphasise, again this is due to personality of these people.

And of course, you'll find people are friendly to you when you have something to give. This applies to everyone, not just Singaporeans.

My point exactly. this cartoon is tryin his best to humour me and other observers with his wit thats so far up north from his anus.

btw, what r u studyin in Warwick?
watching general election.. so exciting!
Reply 2479
watching general election.. so exciting!

so random!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending