The Student Room Group

JP morgan Schools Programme 2011

Scroll to see replies

When do we find out if we got in btw?
bump

Also why is everyone scared of posting grades? I understand why you wouldn't post ECs.
Reply 122
Original post by therealOG
Okay. I'll man up and post my grades. Everyone else better follow suit ya get me?

GCSE: 10A*'s, 1A + A in Add Maths
AS: A's in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Geography
A2: Predicted A*'s in Maths, Economics and Geography

Pretty similar to above, 1A in GCSEs, rest A*s and A in Add Maths. Currently doing same 5 AS levels as above but replace geo with physics; predicted As.

Any notable ECs/ work experience anyone? I will mention a few if others are inclined...

If our school name matters, then I guess our grades/Ecs would be largely useless unless there is a large quota for non-london, non-independent schools.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twig
Pretty similar to above, 1A in GCSEs, rest A*s and A in Add Maths. Currently doing same 5 AS levels as above but replace geo with physics; predicted As.

Any notable ECs/ work experience anyone? I will mention a few if others are inclined...

If our school name matters, then I guess our grades/Ecs would be largely useless unless there is a large quota for non-london, non-independent schools.

You haven't said how many A*'s you got at GCSE :holmes:
Reply 124
You haven't said how many A*'s you got at GCSE :holmes:

Sizing up the competition, eh? It was 11(.5) A*s; I doubt GCSE/ a-level academics will make any difference.

So is it true that only/ mostly london public-school students are picked?
I highly doubt that number of GCSEs makes a large difference. EC's/university/work experience will probably be scrutinised the most.
Meh, I doubt they'll care much about grades and stuff.

I think the key lies in the 300-word essay all the way. But that's just me.
Original post by Victor-PP
Meh, I doubt they'll care much about grades and stuff.

I think the key lies in the 300-word essay all the way. But that's just me.

Really? There's not much you can say on there apart from stating the areas that interest you and articulating why you want to go into them.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Really? There's not much you can say on there apart from stating the areas that interest you and articulating why you want to go into them.

I think they're looking for people who can go beyond the typical "I want to go into banking/I'm interested in banking because... " or "The area/department I like the most is...". That's just my opinion.

Believe me, the essay may not seem important but I definitely think it is. After all, they're not looking for the smartest. They're looking for those who can make the most out of the experience, the most passionate, etc. And grades in no way reflect that. 300 words may not seem many, but it's enough for them to have a general picture.
Original post by Victor-PP
I think they're looking for people who can go beyond the typical "I want to go into banking/I'm interested in banking because... " or "The area/department I like the most is...". That's just my opinion.

Believe me, the essay may not seem important but I definitely think it is. After all, they're not looking for the smartest. They're looking for those who can make the most out of the experience, the most passionate, etc. And grades in no way reflect that. 300 words may not seem many, but it's enough for them to have a general picture.

Hmmm...you make a good point.

Funnily enough, I've now found out that my cover letter has a missing word in it. :lol:
Good thing I applied as a joke...

:awesome:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Hmmm...you make a good point.

Funnily enough, I've now found out that my cover letter has a missing word in it. :lol:
Good thing I applied as a joke...

:awesome:

What's the punchline?
Reply 131
In to watch, I applied on the deadline day. Academics are in my sig / profile info for those interested. I'm hoping that name dropping my university in my CV will help because my ECs / Work experience / cover letter were nothing special.
Original post by i_hate_teeth
What's the punchline?

The fact that I don't particularly care if I get in or not... :facepalm2:
Original post by Mdawg
In to watch, I applied on the deadline day. Academics are in my sig / profile info for those interested. I'm hoping that name dropping my university in my CV will help because my ECs / Work experience / cover letter were nothing special.

You gotta love the old name dropping.
My GCSEs are nothing special, But I go to a top public school and my Personal statement was pretty decent........
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CityTrader
My GCSEs are nothing special, But I go to a top public school and my Personal statement was pretty decent........

You seem to suggest that going to a 'top public school' is an advantage but surely it should be a disadvantage if you're GCSEs were 'nothing special' considering the quality of education you must get.
Original post by Competencies
You seem to suggest that going to a 'top public school' is an advantage but surely it should be a disadvantage if you're GCSEs were 'nothing special' considering the quality of education you must get.

I heard that for this event it is an advantage.

1) Is that top public school in London?
2) Aren't those mediocre GCSE's gonna look extra bad seeing as you're receiving a "top public school" education?
3) It's not a personal statement, it's a cover letter. And it's pretty subjective how good a CL is, just like a PS
1) Is that top public school in London?
2) Aren't those mediocre GCSE's gonna look extra bad seeing as you're receiving a "top public school" education?
3) It's not a personal statement, it's a cover letter. And it's pretty subjective how good a CL is, just like a PS

:lol:

Pwned.

But why would it matter if the school was in London? :confused:
I heard that for this event it is an advantage.

Can't see how it would be unless there's a massively competitive application process to get accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending