The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by briesandwich
'ello lovelies. :h:

Quick question regarding allocated holiday - I booked only a few days off around exam time and was told to tick the allocated holiday box because I didn't know when I would need the rest of it. About 90% of my holiday has been allocated in November, and circumstances have changed making me think that (for mental health reasons) I should move some of that holiday closer to the present to prevent some sort of drama queen stress induced break down. :tongue: Is it possible to change allocated holiday like this? And how 'reasonable' (:rolleyes:) are they when doing this?

Just go and see HR, get a copy of your holiday form, and ask to sit down with your duty manager and talk about it :smile: they're usually fairly flexible, providing they have staff to cover the department and you ask enough in advance
Just written my letter of resignation. In a way, I can't believe the time has flown by so quick and I will be sad to leave my friends [and to give up the income of course]. But, at the same time, I already feel better. :smile:

Am I right in thinking I give the letter to my department manager and HR? I need to resign tomorrow [giving four weeks notice] and am just concerned in case my manager isn't in. If he isn't, do I just give the letter to HR?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Just written my letter of resignation. In a way, I can't believe the time has flown by so quick and I will be sad to leave my friends [and to give up the income of course]. But, at the same time, I already feel better. :smile:

Am I right in thinking I give the letter to my department manager and HR? I need to resign tomorrow [giving four weeks notice] and am just concerned in case my manager isn't in. If he isn't, do I just give the letter to HR?

I gave my notice to my department manager. If yours isn't in, I'm sure HR would pass it on. :smile:
i cant WAIT to give my resignation letter in. hopefully itll be really really soon. manager's face will be a bloody picture! :biggrin:
Reply 8364
Original post by affinity89

Hi there, I am thinking of leaving Sainsburys as well, if I give them the resignation letter say today, would my last day be June 3rd?

Have you found a new job if you don't mind me asking? The reason I am asking, is that I work Thurs and weekends at Sainsburys. I don't want to quit Sainsburys unless I get paid at a new job, working there ideally 2 days a week for until I get paid, and then hand in my notice after I get paid.

It's risky for me to quit Sainsburys and not get paid at a new job. I need to pay rent, bills, food etc. If my new job insist I can only work, after the 4 week notice ends, then I don't know what to do.

Thanks
Original post by GuyUK
Hi there, I am thinking of leaving Sainsburys as well, if I give them the resignation letter say today, would my last day be June 3rd?

Have you found a new job if you don't mind me asking? The reason I am asking, is that I work Thurs and weekends at Sainsburys. I don't want to quit Sainsburys unless I get paid at a new job, working there ideally 2 days a week for until I get paid, and then hand in my notice after I get paid.

It's risky for me to quit Sainsburys and not get paid at a new job. I need to pay rent, bills, food etc. If my new job insist I can only work, after the 4 week notice ends, then I don't know what to do.

Thanks

I've not got a new job.
I am quitting because I am finishing university in four weeks and am moving 50 miles away. I have tried to sort a transfer but that doesn't seem to be happening. I have a bit of my wages put by and I shall be looking for something temporary for over the summer. :smile:

And, yep to June 3rd. I'll be handing it in tomorrow, so I have put my finish date as June 4th. :smile:

teh_samby
I gave my notice to my department manager. If yours isn't in, I'm sure HR would pass it on.

Reply 8366
Any Code Controllers who can just give me a breif explanation of what they do?

I've read about the role on the Sainsbury's website, just thought it'd be useful from someone doing it now. :smile:
Original post by broadwayrachael
Just go and see HR, get a copy of your holiday form, and ask to sit down with your duty manager and talk about it :smile: they're usually fairly flexible, providing they have staff to cover the department and you ask enough in advance

Thank you! :^_^: Luckily my department manager and team leader are really nice - especially considering some of the horror stories I've heard about management from other stores!
Reply 8368
Original post by Swell
Any Code Controllers who can just give me a breif explanation of what they do?

I've read about the role on the Sainsbury's website, just thought it'd be useful from someone doing it now. :smile:

As far as I am aware, it is making sure the stuff on the shelf isnt out of date and has been rotated properly.
Original post by briesandwich
Thank you! :^_^: Luckily my department manager and team leader are really nice - especially considering some of the horror stories I've heard about management from other stores!

I'm sure it'll be no problem then :smile: good luck!
Reply 8370
Probably had the nicest woman ever interviewing me, it was like talking to my auntie or something... and she was a Rugby League fan. :biggrin: Just hope I get the job now!

Original post by Foulish
As far as I am aware, it is making sure the stuff on the shelf isnt out of date and has been rotated properly.

Ahh cheers. :smile:
What I did when I resigned from Sainsburys was :

Wrote my resignation letter, and planned to give it to my department manager (online shopping manager). On the day I took it in, he was not there, so I gave it to the Team Leader, in an envelope marked Private & Confidential. The Team Leader then passed it to HR and within a couple of days, a person from HR came and found me on the shop floor and took me to the office to discuss the resignation and finalise things. I left 4 weeks later on the agreed date.

I considered making 2 copies and taking one directly to HR but there was really no need, so just give it to your manager or the next best thing.

It was such a relief when I knew I had resigned and could count down the days to my last shift!!

AS for code controllers, a good friend of mine is still in that role with Sains. Basically he spends most of his time in the chilled aisles, going along and making sure nothing expired is on the shelf and rotating stock to make sure the older products stay near the front. He also removes items close to expiry to take them for reduction/clearance.
Its quite a responsible job as they seem to have a lot of team meetings to try and reduce waste and stuff.
pfft, responsible? ours are rubbish then cos i always find out of date stuff on the shelves >_< to be fair they have upped their game but... they reduce things on the day they're due to go out of date though =/ lol
Reply 8373
i'd say code checking is a responsible job, colleague doing the code check obviously does not want to leave a murdurous rotten cow steak on the shop for someone to buy it causing potential health problems or be the one knowingly to have landed the store with £5000 fine for each item out of date left on the shopfloor. it does depend on the colleague and those around him/her to not be lazy and to do their job properly.
reducing stuff affects the wastage budget for the store which is why they leave reduction as late as possible (the day it is due to go out of date) and so does disposing of out of date goods. so you need a good balance of when to reduce stuff to leave next to none disposals and to not reduce too early such that potential full priced sales are not lost.

overall yeah it is quite a responsible job just like any other position in the store.
I gave my letter to my department manager but we were rushed off our feet today. I told him that it was my letter of resignation, he asked why, I said I was moving away and that was that.

Of course, he might want to talk about it when we are both next in but my finish date is four weeks from today. And not a day later. :smile:

Oh, and we've been split into mini-teams with a supervisor in charge of a few of us. Mine wanted to test all her staff on their IPM. So, I had to do four role-plays with 20 items to see how quick I was doing it whilst talking to the customer etc. My average was 20 items in 50 seconds, which I was pretty happy with. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Is it true that if you work in the bakery you get paid an extra pound an hour? Or is that only if you get extra training or work full time?
Original post by Sir_Malc
Is it true that if you work in the bakery you get paid an extra pound an hour? Or is that only if you get extra training or work full time?

It is only if you are a trained baker.
How much training is involved for that?
Reply 8378
Anyone know what's the best thing to do about ringing in sick? Should I text my manager, team leader or ring the store at this time and talk to the night shift manager?

Thanks
Try ringing I'd say

Latest

Trending

Trending