The Student Room Group

Insomnia affecting concentration

Hi, recently my insomnia is getting worse, it's medically diagnosed and i get medication for it but i feel like i'm getting more and more resistant to it and therefore i'm sleeping less, usually trying to go to sleep at 10pm and falling asleep at around 5 to wake up at 7 :|

I've tried absolutely every possible thing to help sleep but honestly I can't. It's really affecting my concentration and honestly my revision doesn't feel like it's sinking in, I just feel like because of my lack of sleep it's probably messing up the amount my brain can take in, but as i'm in A2 i feel extremely stressed. I've stopped going out, pretty much put everything on hold until after exams but honestly it's just feeling extremely horrible knowing that my lack of sleep is going to probably mess up my exams.

Is there anything I can do in terms of getting 'special considerations' or anything, my doctor recommended extra time, but i just think if i can explore all alternative then maybe there's a solution to it somewhere. Also venting this helps as well.

Thanks for reading x
Reply 1
If you think the medication has stopped working then go back to the doctor, there may be a better one that they can give you.

If as you say it is medically diagnosed then make sure the exam boards know and you may well get some consideration from them, Extra time is possible as is a different time on the exam if this helps, also potential extra marks (ie 120% of what you get)

Make sure people know basically
Reply 2
Simple solution, smoke a joint before bed. You will sleep well:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by rob6709

I've smoked joints in the past, it isn't something I like to be honest, but that's a good point that it'll help sleep, but every night is not really a solution, thanks though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lordmwa
If you think the medication has stopped working then go back to the doctor, there may be a better one that they can give you.

If as you say it is medically diagnosed then make sure the exam boards know and you may well get some consideration from them, Extra time is possible as is a different time on the exam if this helps, also potential extra marks (ie 120% of what you get)

Make sure people know basically

Hi, thanks for the reply, erm yeah to be honest i really don't like talking to teachers about it, they're extremely patronising and i feel my conditions extremely debilitating. But I'll look into it, thanks. x
I used to have really bad insomnia a year ago, I found that the remedy for me was as simple as changing my mattress and pillow, so you could give that a try

I also found that getting physically exhausted during the day helped, so you could try sports or working out
Original post by rob6709

Probably won't do much for the revision and exam passing side of things. :tongue:

You tried alcohol OP? It makes some people sleepy, not loads or anything though. Definitely inform the exam boards.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
Probably won't do much for the revision and exam passing side of things. :tongue:

You tried alcohol OP? It makes some people sleepy, not loads or anything though. Definitely inform the exam boards.

Alcohol helps, last Thursday, Friday and Saturday seemed to be the last time I got a sufficient amount of sleep, whilst drunk.. lol. But my parent's don't like me drinking so that kind of rules it out of being a routine solution. Thanks though. x
Reply 8
Extra time is definitely a possibility I think. I suffered from insomnia during my GCSE's and A-Levels, it's now chronic insomnia due to back and neck pain and I get extra time or if possible, my exams get moved to the afternoon or late morning. I think you just need relevant medical evidence.
Reply 9
Original post by hazelsaurus
I've smoked joints in the past, it isn't something I like to be honest, but that's a good point that it'll help sleep, but every night is not really a solution, thanks though :smile:

Same for me, find it a dull and boring high. But I find it very usefull for sleeping, and theres the added bonus of no hangover.
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth

Well you would revise then smoke it when done before sleeping. It's not a drug that gives much of a hangover/comedown the following day. I find it particularly useful after taking pills/mdma, it help's you do the two thing's your body will be craving that you wouldn't do with out. Sleep and eat :biggrin:
I drink this tea which has helped a lot (although I think the effect's wearing off, so maybe it's best to switch between different things so your body doesn't get used to them):

Quick Reply

Latest