The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Me too :s-smilie:

Are you going to the Kings ones - they're all on weekdays :frown:

Don't think my school will let me go to any more :sad: - I'm going to be missing like 10 days of school as it is because of the German work exchange programme + 1 for the Newcastle open day :hi:

All you get at open days is a completely biased account of the course. Oh hello 4th year student, how are you enjoying the only medical course you've ever enrolled on....

You are just as well reading the prospectus.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
All you get at open days is a completely biased account of the course. Oh hello 4th year student, how are you enjoying the only medical course you've ever enrolled on....

You are just as well reading the prospectus.

:hmmm: - but can't really get a feel for the campus/university that well from a prospectus as opposed to actually going there and seeing them for yourself, right? :tongue:

Plus you can't really see the types of accommodation in prospectuses, and most of the pictures that are available on their website (if there are any pictures, that is), then to be honest, they're sh*t! :mad:

So in conclusion, going to open days is more expensive, but better than just looking at the prospectus and applying (somewhat) blindly. :redface:
:hmmm: - but can't really get a feel for the campus/university that well from a prospectus as opposed to actually going there and seeing them for yourself, right? :tongue:

Plus you can't really see the types of accommodation in prospectuses, and most of the pictures that are available on their website (if there are any pictures, that is), then to be honest, they're sh*t! :mad:

So in conclusion, going to open days is more expensive, but better than just looking at the prospectus and applying (somewhat) blindly. :redface:

Well I applied completely blind and I was fine :biggrin:
Well I applied completely blind and I was fine :biggrin:

You're lucky :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Yup! It wasn't really that full at all. I've booked mid August, before I go on holiday - you? :smile:

SAAME! :biggrin:

I should probably come up with something new to say.. but you're just posting what I was going to say anyway.. :tongue:
Original post by spoinkytheduck

I should probably come up with something new to say.. but you're just posting what I was going to say anyway.. :tongue:

Great minds think alike :cool:
You're lucky :tongue:

Well we only had 5 unis to choose from so I didn't see the point, I'd end up applying there anyway.
Reply 2727
Me too :s-smilie:

Are you going to the Kings ones - they're all on weekdays :frown:

Don't think my school will let me go to any more :sad: - I'm going to be missing like 10 days of school as it is because of the German work exchange programme + 1 for the Newcastle open day :hi:

Nope, not sure if I'm applying to London really. :smile:

Awh!
Reply 2728
Original post by spoinkytheduck

Hahah it's fine my twin :biggrin:
Was hoping to book my test this weekend, but seeing as I only registered like an hour ago, I'll probably have to wait a while for the username/password to be sent :facepalm:
Original post by oHellno
Was hoping to book my test this weekend, but seeing as I only registered like an hour ago, I'll probably have to wait a while for the username/password to be sent :facepalm:

Yeah - within 1 working day, so probably on Monday.

:console:

Yeah - within 1 working day, so probably on Monday.

:console:

I'm a bit silly sometimes. Ah well, nevermind, I'm sure all the places in London won't be filled up by then lol.
Reply 2732
Original post by Jabbo12
Where have you got this from? King's will only interview if UKCAT is very good or at least 9/10A*s if your UKCAT is bad. I've had first hand experience and trust me, those people who say imperial/kings/ucl, as in getting all three are either living in a dream world or are perfet individuals. Getting into medicine is INCREDIBLY hard, in fact the hardest course to get into.

From the admission's tutor like I just said. She got 8 a*- so still a good chance even if her UKCAT is below 600.

The inference of 'good' entails 9/10 A*. 8 is close to it.

You think you've had first hand experience? I've applied for medicine twice, I know at least 3 cycles' worth of candidates that have got in- and of them my own sibling is a King's offer holder. Amongst this perceived credibility my father is a GP and a UCL tutor when medical students go and do their placements.

Don't shove this 'I've got first hand experience'

Vet Med is much harder to get in to- much harder than medicine. Dentistry is a close second.

Why do you glorify imperial/UCL/king- there are other universities that outrank these universities in the league tables? So where exactly are you basing your 'dream' here?

Are you implying that imperial/UCL/Kings beat Oxbridge? I think a a significant proportion of people will disagree with you here!

I disagree, medicine is not too bad to get into should you apply effectively and play to your strengths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nutta!
From the admission's tutor like I just said. She got 8 a*- so still a good chance even if her UKCAT is below 600.

The inference of 'good' entails 9/10 A*. 8 is close to it.

You think you've had first hand experience? I've applied for medicine twice, I know at least 3 cycles' worth of candidates that have got in- and of them my own sibling is a King's offer holder. Amongst this perceived credibility my father is a GP and a UCL tutor when medical students go and do their placements.

Don't shove this 'I've got first hand experience'

Vet Med is much harder to get in to- much harder than medicine. Dentistry is a close second.

Why do you glorify imperial/UCL/king- there are other universities that outrank these universities in the league tables? So where exactly are you basing your 'dream' here?

Are you implying that imperial/UCL/Kings beat Oxbridge? I think a a significant proportion of people will disagree with you here!

I disagree, medicine is not too bad to get into should you apply effectively and play to your strengths.

Wow!

Even Newcastle's probably better in terms of research - they're the only institution who have been permitted to carry out stem cell research in the UK - that says something about them, right? Even Oxbridge universities haven't been permitted to carry out this kind of research! :eek:
Wow!

Even Newcastle's probably better in terms of research - they're the only institution who have been permitted to carry out stem cell research in the UK - that says something about them, right? Even Oxbridge universities haven't been permitted to carry out this kind of research! :eek:

That obviously means you will be a better doctor. Idiot.
That obviously means you will be a better doctor. Idiot.

I didn't say that...

I was just comparing the research at Oxbridge and Newcastle :indiff:
Reply 2736
This is weird. I've registered and booked my UKCAT on 3rd May, but I still don't have a username and password
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
This is weird. I've registered and booked my UKCAT on 3rd May, but I still don't have a username and password

wait what, how do you book without the username/password? :erm:
Reply 2738
Original post by oHellno
wait what, how do you book without the username/password? :erm:

I just registered and booked at the same time... I was never emailed anything to do with the username and password. And now when I try to use the I forgot my username/password thing they say they can't find anything based on the info I provide :confused:
Original post by cz100

:confused::confused:But testing only begins on the 5th July!:confused::confused:

Or did you book it on the 3rd May for sometimes 5th July or after?

Latest

Trending

Trending