The Student Room Group

If I don't meet my conditions what are my options?

I'm currently in my first year at one Uni but am leaving after this year to start a completely different course somewhere else. I have recieved a conditional from my first choice and as I know this is the only University I want to go to in September I'm going to put it as my firm and not put an insurance.

I'm worried though that I won't meet my conditions. As I hate my current University so much I haven't put much effort into my work, and my conditions for getting in are to pass all my modules. (It's an art based coursed so work is all coursework, I haven't had all my grades back yet so I'm not sure if I've failed anything)

If I don't meet the conditions will the Uni 100% not let me onto the course of can they be slightly leniant with this? Bearing in mind it's quite a small, close knit department that really needs as many students as it can get, I'm hoping they may be able to over look it? Or is this in no way allowed?

Also, if I go into clearing can I get into the same course I have applied for already?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by gemma1910

If I don't meet the conditions will the Uni 100% not let me onto the course of can they be slightly leniant with this? It seems unlikely that they will be interested in a student who cannot even manage a bare pass. Bearing in mind it's quite a small, close knit department that really needs as many students as it can get, I'm hoping they may be able to over look it? Don't let this blind optimism let you get carried away. They want successful motivated students and have given you the means of showing you are one. Or is this in no way allowed? Allowed, yes; likely, probably not.

Also, if I go into clearing can I get into the same course I have applied for already? You won't get in via clearing if you have been rejected for not meeting the requirements.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

See above.
Original post by Good bloke
See above.

Why would the OP not get in via clearing? That's exactly what it's there for.

OP, you could always take a gap year and reapply again in 2012; of course, that will induce the £9k fees.
Reply 3
Original post by Rascacielos
Why would the OP not get in via clearing? That's exactly what it's there for.

He means for the same course at the same uni. If they reject her for not meeting the requirements, they're not going to accept her through clearing. Other courses might though.
Original post by ily_em
He means for the same course at the same uni. If they reject her for not meeting the requirements, they're not going to accept her through clearing. Other courses might though.

You're right; I misread, sorry. Yes, I'd agree with you - that would be silly; that's not to say that the faculty might not be lenient if the OP only just failed one of her modules. I guess it would depend on whether all the places had been filled.
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
See above.

It's not that I am not a "successful motivated" student, but sometimes when you are at a University that you hate in every single aspect and know that you are leaving after the first year the work you are given doesn't seem as important as maybe it should be. Granted this is my own downfall but that was just the way I coped with this situation. But thank you for the input, it is appreciated.

Original post by Rascacielos
You're right; I misread, sorry. Yes, I'd agree with you - that would be silly; that's not to say that the faculty might not be lenient if the OP only just failed one of her modules. I guess it would depend on whether all the places had been filled.

This is what I'm hoping as there is only one module I am paticularly worried about. I didn't mean to come across as sounding big headed when mentioning the department needed students etc, but I have heard first hand about its situation and I know how friendly and informal it's attitude is to students so I am hoping they will be able to give me some leniancy.

Thanks!
It's not that I am not a "successful motivated" student, but sometimes when you are at a University that you hate in every single aspect and know that you are leaving after the first year the work you are given doesn't seem as important as maybe it should be. Granted this is my own downfall but that was just the way I coped with this situation.

It is very important as it is your only immediate means of getting out of your current situation.
This is what I'm hoping as there is only one module I am paticularly worried about. I didn't mean to come across as sounding big headed when mentioning the department needed students etc, but I have heard first hand about its situation and I know how friendly and informal it's attitude is to students so I am hoping they will be able to give me some leniancy.

Thanks!

There's no guarantee of that though - I'd suggest working hard to pass that module, rather than resting on your laurels.
Reply 8
I study in a really crazy school but still tries to get grades and got a conditional offer from a university, what will happen if I don't meet those conditions of the university?
Reply 9
I study in a really bad school but still tried to get grades and got a conditional offer from a university, what will happen if I don't meet those conditions of the university? Will i still be eligible to get into university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending