The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrs_bellamy
I disagree, I think we can be counted as Exeter (not for this, but in general). I am registered with student finance as being at Exeter my degree certificate will say Exeter.

Yeah, I'm Exeter, my degree comes from Exeter but I pay Plymouth and I've just come from a focus group and they said from the students applying this year your degree comes jointly from UoE/UoP and they will take turns in holding the graduation ceremony.
Original post by Captain Crash
Has anyone else seen this?

Apparently it's the first attempt at a worldwide ranking of medical schools

I thought the British league tables methodology was flawed but Christ, have you read how they decided this?

They basically asked some people "So, what do you think is the best university?"
Reply 3262
As far as I know, MIT don't even have a "medical school". This seems more geared towards academic 'life sciences' than MB/MD programmes.
Original post by visesh
As far as I know, MIT don't even have a "medical school". This seems more geared towards academic 'life sciences' than MB/MD programmes.

http://www.mit.edu/~career/preprof/medadmissions.html
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
I've just come from a focus group and they said from the students applying this year your degree comes jointly from UoE/UoP and they will take turns in holding the graduation ceremony.

That sounds like a really good idea. It's stupid to link us all to one or the other, when most people spend fairly equal amounts of time at each. Although I quite like the idea of having my graduation in Exeter back where I started, it feels more like home than here.

I still don't think that we are more associated with Plymouth than Exeter though, just because there are more offices in Plymouth. I think we are, and should be, equally associated with them both.
Reply 3265
Original post by Captain Crash

I think that's an information page for their undergraduates so that they can prepare themselves for medical school admissions elsewhere.
Original post by i'm no superman
It really takes the piss to be honest. Not much I can do but power through it.

How's your SSC coming along?

I've now finished the poster, just need it printing... oh, and to present it with enthusiasm.
All this lovely weather for weeks, and it couldn't even hold on for an extra 48 hours for my birthday :frown:. Indoor picnic it is this Sunday! Right, back to work...
Original post by visesh
I think that's an information page for their undergraduates so that they can prepare themselves for medical school admissions elsewhere.

Some procastinating searching on Wikipedia reveals that they do an MD/PhD program with Harvard. Though technically it's a MD from HMS and a PhD from either Harvard or MIT.

:holmes:
Does anyone have access to?

Clin Calcium. 2008 Jun;18(6):816-20.
[Muscle and bone health as a risk factor of fall among the elderly. Vitamin D for prevention of fall and fracture].
Sakuma M, Endo N.

Or

Clin Calcium. 2010 Sep;20(9):1327-32.
[Vitamin D and risk of fracture].
Sakuma M, Oinuma T, Endo N.

Or

Clin Calcium. 2006 Jul;16(7):1195-200.
[Fall-preventing effect of vitamin D].
Shionoiri A.

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Does anyone have access to? :smile:

Nope :no:

You do realise the original articles are in Japanese? And I'm not that good yet - I can just about handling asking where the shops are :wink:
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
You do realise the original articles are in Japanese? And I'm not that good yet - I can just about handling asking where the shops are :wink:

Yeah I know, but I assumed they'd have been translated since the abstract was. And all the leading researchers in vitamin D and falls and fractures seem to be Japanese :huff:
I swear, seeing you guys constantly request research papers for essays and assignments just makes me feel like such an inadequate medical student! :p:

I have done one critical appraisal, oral presentations, quite a number of write ups/essays throughout the course of the year and I don't think I've read more than 3/4 research papers from start to finish (including the one I appraised). :o:
Original post by Medicine Man

Original post by Medicine Man
I swear, seeing you guys constantly request research papers for essays and assignments just makes me feel like such an inadequate medical student! :p:

I have done one critical appraisal, oral presentations, quite a number of write ups/essays throughout the course of the year and I don't think I've read more than 3/4 research papers from start to finish (including the one I appraised). :o:

Well in the first year I have to do 2 analytical reviews (which I assume are your critical appraisals) and 2 SSS Presentations, which are 10 minute presentations on a specific area in depth (so using papers rather than textbooks) which is what I need the above for. So that's about 8 papers in total maybe? I never use them unless I have to :wink: Although I know people who look at them for PBL work :lolwut:
Well in the first year I have to do 2 analytical reviews (which I assume are your critical appraisals) and 2 SSS Presentations, which are 10 minute presentations on a specific area in depth (so using papers rather than textbooks) which is what I need the above for. So that's about 8 papers in total maybe? I never use them unless I have to :wink: Although I know people who look at them for PBL work :lolwut:

Yeah ditto here. I was one of them. In first year, when I was such a keen fresher, I would do the same. :colondollar:

But now, noone cba. We just want to get it out of the way - we literally discuss just what is relevant in order to get out asap. We had our last ever 'proper' pbl session on Thursday and that was the only time we dragged out the session.
Reply 3276
quick question: how does right ventricular failure after a PE cause atrial fibrillation? (its an 'irregularly irregular pulse, so im assuming its atrial fibrillation) :smile:
Reply 3277
Original post by dooodles
quick question: how does right ventricular failure after a PE cause atrial fibrillation? (its an 'irregularly irregular pulse, so im assuming its atrial fibrillation) :smile:

I'm assuming that it's due to the congestion of blood backing up into the right side of the heart. The congestion results in an increase in preload and the atria can't contract sufficiently to pump the blood into the ventricle, therefore they just 'flutter' resulting in AF. That is just speculation atm, as I'm also trying to work through this question.
Reply 3278
Original post by Alex D
I'm assuming that it's due to the congestion of blood backing up into the right side of the heart. The congestion results in an increase in preload and the atria can't contract sufficiently to pump the blood into the ventricle, therefore they just 'flutter' resulting in AF. That is just speculation atm, as I'm also trying to work through this question.

yes that makes sense, i can find no sources to back it up though! am also struggling on why this causes acute hypotension and elevated JVP... will keep looking!
Reply 3279
Original post by dooodles
yes that makes sense, i can find no sources to back it up though! am also struggling on why this causes acute hypotension and elevated JVP... will keep looking!

Google 'when atrial fibrillation occurs with pulmonary embolism, is it the chicken or the egg?' and that paper explains why. He has elevated JVP as blood is congested due to the PE and is backing up into the right side of the heart, and consequently the veins that drain into the right atria. The hypotension is due to the fact that the blood can't bypass the embolism and return to the left ventricle therefore pressure drops due to a lack of blood reaching the left heart. The distended right side of the heart then compresses the left side reducing preload.

Latest

Trending

Trending