The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by warwickorbristol
You're really living up to your user name here.

Every sport has injuries, even non-contact sports like athletics carry an injury risk. Football is played at a very fast pace with very powerful players and huge amounts ride on individual games. Because of that there is always going to be a risk of injury. If there's malice then absolutely that's bang out of order but Shawcross was just unfortunate that of the many many many perfect tackles he made that season the one that wasn't came against the whiniest team in the league.

The only way you'll remove tackles like Shawcross' from the game is by fundamentally changing the game. If you want to do that **** off and make your own sport.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the refereeing in the Champions league. So no, it wouldn't lead to changing the game.

Shawcross probably would have been sent off already before he even had the chance to make such a horrific challenge, if this were the CL.
Original post by Hantheman
No it's our attitude to football. We think it always has to be 120 mph, full of PASHUN (tm) and commitment. Then we face a team who are smart, can can control a ball and read the game, and we get absolutely outclassed.

Same applies to our attitude to tackling. Hollywood challenges are arbitrary in defending. The best defenders in the world don't have to make ball crunching challenges because they're more often than not in the right place to intercept. You mention Ferdinand, how many Shawcross challenges has he made in his entire career?

And Gerrard has been crap for about 3 years. And Terry has never been world class. Ever. He was carried by Gallas and Carvalho for years.

This.

And lol at Gerrard being worldclass.
No it's our attitude to football. We think it always has to be 120 mph, full of PASHUN (tm) and commitment. Then we face a team who are smart, can can control a ball and read the game, and we get absolutely outclassed.

Same applies to our attitude to tackling. Hollywood challenges are arbitrary in defending. The best defenders in the world don't have to make ball crunching challenges because they're more often than not in the right place to intercept. You mention Ferdinand, how many Shawcross challenges has he made in his entire career?

And Gerrard has been crap for about 3 years. And Terry has never been world class. Ever. He was carried by Gallas and Carvalho for years.

We don't play like that enough. Despite possessing probably the best defence in the world we were a joke defensively. If we had a half decent defence who knew how to set a team up to turn a game into a scrap we'd be excellent. Instead we try and play like continental players despite having poor technical ability.

Original post by T.Adams VI
I don't hear anyone complaining about the refereeing in the Champions league. So no, it wouldn't lead to changing the game.

Shawcross probably would have been sent off already before he even had the chance to make such a horrific challenge, if this were the CL.

You must be deaf because The CL refs are god awful. Pepe's red was a joke, as was that Chelsea match against Barca a few years ago. And surely you were annoyed about RVP's red?
Reply 9823
JK.
OP
Our disciplinary record is a joke and only a reflection of the lack of consistency/quality in officiating. I wouldn't be up in arms about Newcastle/Stoke having a high number of reds at all, I'd actually be happy, they play the way they play and so be it, but if that play is reckless or dangerous, which it often is, they should be punished and deterred. Like myself, I feel most of our fans take more of an issue with the disciplinary system and its implementation than with the players/managers involved.

Shawcross obviously didn't intend to break Ramsey's leg, but just because it wasn't that extreme, why shouldn't we take issue? Players like Shawcross are often allowed to get away with multiple dangerous tackles before they even see a yellow which is disgusting, it just encourages the whole 'get it up em' attitude which inevitably leads to injury. I'll give you the example of the Carling Cup game we lost on that ground just a few weeks before the leg break, Fabregas was in space and in control of the ball with Shawcross closing down but still a distance away, Cesc passed the ball then Shawcross slid in, shockingly late and thus nowhere near the ball, he smashed into Cesc's standing leg and it was somewhat miraculous Cesc came away with his leg intact. Card? Not even a yellow. Allowing these offences to slide without punishment leads to players feeling a lack of a need to control their actions and that lack of control is exactly what caused Ramsey's break. I really dislike managers telling their players to go out and purposefully foul etc and likewise the players who go and carry out such actions, but the thing I ****ing hate is that they're just allowed to do it and the fact that it often does take a serious injury before they're even pulled up.

You can't just say 'Give anyone who causes a broken leg a 10 game ban' as there are challenges where such a break is not the result of recklessness/dangerousness/lack of control, just really bad luck. But there has to be a stricter system in the first place to reduce the chances of reckless challenges being made and I'd definitely support a system whereby dangerous challenges are reviewed and bans can be extended accordingly. A 3 game ban is simply not a sufficient punishment or deterrent.
This.

And lol at Gerrard being worldclass.

Never said that.
Reply 9825
Despite possessing probably the best defence in the world...
If we had a half decent defence...
despite having poor technical ability.

:clap2:
Lampard is the most productive midfielder in the world and he's English, Terry and Ferdinand are excellent centre backs, Ashley Cole is a fantastic left back and as good as anyone, Hart one of the best young keepers in the world, Gerrard is excellent too.

Are you honestly trying to say the lack of success of our national team is down to our attitudes towards tackling?

You watch too much match of the day. Of course Lampard is gonna look good when you got lawrenson/hansen/shearer/dixon bumming him every weekend.

Before the worldcup no one knew of Ozil, who is quite frankly miles ahead of Lampard. But you probably wouldn't have accepted that statement before the worldcup.

In short you only think those english players are good, because there the only players you watch.

If i said Nuri Sahin is better than Gerrard you'd probably laugh ignorantly.
We don't play like that enough. Despite possessing probably the best defence in the world we were a joke defensively. If we had a half decent defence who knew how to set a team up to turn a game into a scrap we'd be excellent. Instead we try and play like continental players despite having poor technical ability.

You must be deaf because The CL refs are god awful. Pepe's red was a joke, as was that Chelsea match against Barca a few years ago. And surely you were annoyed about RVP's red?

CL's refs are miles ahead of English refs. Miles ahead.
You watch too much match of the day. Of course Lampard is gonna look good when you got lawrenson/hansen/shearer/dixon bumming him every weekend.

Before the worldcup no one knew of Ozil, who is quite frankly miles ahead of Lampard. But you probably wouldn't have accepted that statement before the worldcup.

In short you only think those english players are good, because there the only players you watch.

Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas (who created more chances for game than any player in the EPL) are clearly inadequate.

Last season Lampard scored and assisted more than anyone else in the league. That's why I think he's productive. And he's definitely more productive than Ozil.
CL's refs are miles ahead of English refs. Miles ahead.

I would be shocked if they weren't. After all, they should be the best refs in Europe.
Last season Lampard scored and assisted more than anyone else in the league. That's why I think he's productive. And he's definitely more productive than Ozil.

Arshavin has 17 assists and 10 goals this season. What are your opinions of him?
Arshavin has 17 assists and 10 goals this season. What are your opinions of him?

Productive?
Reply 9833

Frank Lampard
Games:21
Assists:2
That's 10 and a half games per assist.

Mesut Ozil
Games:32
Assissts:12
That's 2.6 games per assist.

It's about what you can bring to the team now as well as what you brought to the team. And right now, Lampard has not brought a lot to Chelsea, despite both clubs being 2nd in the league.
Don't forget that most of Lampard's goals are penalties as well, so that's not a valid statistic to compare.
Reply 9835
Original post by marcusmerehay
Don't forget that most of Lampard's goals are penalties as well, so that's not a valid statistic to compare.

Yeah, scrap penalties from any comparison - Lampard takes more, but then Ozil is a german - thus it is physically impossible for him to miss!
Original post by The_Rev
Frank Lampard
Games:21
Assists:2
That's 10 and a half games per assist.

Mesut Ozil
Games:32
Assissts:12
That's 2.6 games per assist.

It's about what you can bring to the team now as well as what you brought to the team. And right now, Lampard has not brought a lot to Chelsea, despite both clubs being 2nd in the league.

Discussion was about why we have failed in major tournaments, so the statistics from last season are more relevant.
LOLOLOL 606 can't take a joke.

Their most recent FB page status was 'What should Robbie Savage's new job title be?'

Upon responding with the word 'tw*t', I got 16 likes and had my comment removed. Killjoys. :toofunny:
That Adam challenge was horrible. Any tool gonna stand up for him?

Don't be Welsh in the premierleague seems to be the lesson.

I hope Bale isn't too hurt.
Reply 9839
JK.
OP
That Adam challenge was horrible. Any tool gonna stand up for him?

Don't be Welsh in the premierleague seems to be the lesson.

I hope Bale isn't too hurt.

He's not that kind of player.

Latest