The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! :smile:

I'm currently half way through my first year of IB, and at the moment, I'm doing the following subjects:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
History HL
Psychology HL (As my 7th for certificate)

English SL
Maths SL
Spanish Ab Initio SL

However, at the moment I'm in discussions with my IB Co-ordinator about the possibility of changing my subjects around so that they'll be:

English HL
Biology HL
History HL
Psychology HL (Certificate)

Chemistry SL
Spanish Ab Initio SL
Maths Studies SL

I really want to do History at University in some form or another, most likely Ancient History or just straight history. Do you reckon the subjects are okay, and do you reckon its worth me changing the combination?

Thanks in advance guys!!! :biggrin:
Hi Guys;]
I've got a problem. Can you help me choose? I don't know which subject I should choose HL and SL.

Math HL
Economy HL
Physic or Psychology HL

Polish A1 SL
English A2 SL
Physic or Psychology SL

And what's with this taking 4 subject HL? How can I do this?
Are these a good idea for studying medicine at a top university?

Maths HL
English HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL

French SL
History SL
This is not my final decisions, but I would like you IB experts to take a look at it :smile:

IB History HL
IB A1 Literature German HL
IB Theatre HL
IB A1 Literature English SL
IB Math SL
IB Chem SL

is taking your native-language a good option?
do colleges hate classes like Theatre?
how is math sl?
do they give credits to ppl taking double A1 lit courses?

I am aiming for top universities in US, and I wish to major in poli sci, history, english, etc. (how good is this schedule?) is it competitive enough to apply for ivy leagues? (assuming that i will have a good IB score)
Reply 724
I'm stuck between studying the IB in a college (RUTC) or studying it in a sixth form (Ashcroft tech.) Personally I'd prefer going to Richmond but, there's a few things to consider... Anyways this is what I'd be doing at Richmond upon Thames College:
HL
English
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
SL
Hisotry
Spanish

As you can see quite challenging and really academic. However, it's not what I really want to do..... Heres what I may do at Ashcroft:
HL
English
Maths
Physics
SL
Spanish
Psychology / Philosphy
Film / Further Maths / Biology / Chemisrty

Quite a potentially unconventional list. However, i'm interested in Film but gifted in Maths (Did my maths exams Nov. 2010 got A*) and I was told to consider an additional science for group six as [insert generic reason here].

Some other things I wasn't sure of is how funding differenciates between colleges and sixth forms. I understand colleges get more money from the government but sixth forms have greater leniency in respects to where that money goes.
I know that ultimately the decision is mine to make and it's basically deciding between where I want to go or what I want to study. But any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
PS. This is my first ever post.:colondollar:
Reply 725
Chemistry HL is very difficult! I do biology SL and find this easy, but the HL biologists find it hard for revising, for both HL chem and bio. both demanding subjects. Four HL subjects would be a nightmare!!!!
I am torn between doing Economics or Geography at HL. Does anyone have experience of either of these? Which one is easier or more enjoyable? Which one involves more current affaires?
Reply 727
Original post by charliefisher
I am torn between doing Economics or Geography at HL. Does anyone have experience of either of these? Which one is easier or more enjoyable? Which one involves more current affaires?

I do both at HL and am currently taking the exams and want to continue to do Geography at uni.
Personally I feel geography is a lot more to do with current affairs as you apply all you learn to things that have happened, while in economics it is a lot of theory, though you can look at real life examples.
I would say content wise learning, geography there is a LOT to revise, i've filled 3 of the big folders with notes over the 2 years, whereas learning economics is easier as it's a lot more logical.
Sorry I can't be of more help but hope this gives you some sort of idea.
Original post by Akaten
I'm stuck between studying the IB in a college (RUTC) or studying it in a sixth form (Ashcroft tech.) Personally I'd prefer going to Richmond but, there's a few things to consider... Anyways this is what I'd be doing at Richmond upon Thames College:
HL
English
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
SL
Hisotry
Spanish

As you can see quite challenging and really academic. However, it's not what I really want to do..... Heres what I may do at Ashcroft:
HL
English
Maths
Physics
SL
Spanish
Psychology / Philosphy
Film / Further Maths / Biology / Chemisrty

Quite a potentially unconventional list. However, i'm interested in Film but gifted in Maths (Did my maths exams Nov. 2010 got A*) and I was told to consider an additional science for group six as [insert generic reason here].

Some other things I wasn't sure of is how funding differenciates between colleges and sixth forms. I understand colleges get more money from the government but sixth forms have greater leniency in respects to where that money goes.
I know that ultimately the decision is mine to make and it's basically deciding between where I want to go or what I want to study. But any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
PS. This is my first ever post.:colondollar:

with all due respect do not ever assume that you'll do well in HL maths with regards to your GCSE/A Level Maths. Not because its easier but it's because the approach is very different. I would say go and borrow a IB student's HL maths textbook. I don't doubt your ability in maths but im just saying, you may or may not like the way it's presented. you need to really enjoy maths and the thought behind it to do hl maths, because afterall you are spending some 7 lessons a fortnight on it, and since you are interested in film i'm not sure this is what you might want to do.

you want to follow what you want to do, not what you think you should do.
because when it comes to chosing your careers and going to uni or whatever, you need to be able to convince people that you love the subject, and why you want to continue studying it. i suggest you take film HL.

I can tell you now physics is a very challenging subject, not mathematically but conceptually, it's difficult to understand what the questions want. it seems like the way the IB phrase their questions in the papers are trying to trip you up.
again, if you need it for uni, do it, or if you're really interested. if not, then dont.
english HL is good, it's not that different from SL, just more texts and more work, it might actually help your analysing skills if you're going to do film in the future.

I must then warn you about doing 4 highers. don't, unless you're 100% sure you have excellant time management. so there you have it, i think the second set of options (ashcroft) would suit you because its what you want to do. and it will motivate you to get through the two years of IB, so really, just follow what you want.

thats my advice, hope that gave you a basic idea for this.
Okay so I'm starting the IB in September, and I am thinking of doing the following subjects:
English Literature HL
History HL
French HL
Chemistry SL
Maths SL
Biology SL
Would these be suitable subjects for Law with French Law at university? This is not definite though, and I am quite interested in science too, although by only taking science at Standard level, I will probably be ruling this out. If I do change my mind, would I be keeping my options open for most Arts subjects? Also, I could change one of the SL's for an Ab Intio language (Spanish). Would this be a good idea to show that I am interested in languages, or should I stick to the original combination?
Reply 730
Original post by AspiringGenius
Are these a good idea for studying medicine at a top university?

Maths HL
English HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL

French SL
History SL

You should probably make math sl. The sciences are tough and you don't want an unneeded workload.
Hey guys. Im in my 1st IB year, and I want to do Business&Management in a university in USA. I was wondering if i can drop from Maths SL to Math Studies SL, because I find it really hard to understand most of the topics. For me, at the beginning of every topic, I find it quite easy but then it just gets ridiculously complicated and I start to struggle. My current IB choices are:

HL: French B, Economics,Geography
SL: Maths SL, English, Environmental Systems
Original post by Shaneel
You should probably make math sl. The sciences are tough and you don't want an unneeded workload.

Ive always loved maths and I'd feel I wasn't giving it my all if I didn't try higher. That's why Im doing 4 to begin with- if maths is too difficult. Then I'll drop it, if not, I'll drop english
Reply 733
Original post by AspiringGenius
Ive always loved maths and I'd feel I wasn't giving it my all if I didn't try higher. That's why Im doing 4 to begin with- if maths is too difficult. Then I'll drop it, if not, I'll drop english

are you confident on getting the required ib points for your uni?
I'm taking IB next year, and picked classes based on my uni interests. But people keep telling me I'm nuts, is there any possible reassurance here?

HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry
SL: Latin, English A, Peace and Conflict

Side note: Peace and conflict is a combination class of world issues, politics, economics, history, theology and sociology.
Reply 735
Original post by PheonixCarmine
I'm taking IB next year, and picked classes based on my uni interests. But people keep telling me I'm nuts, is there any possible reassurance here?

HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry
SL: Latin, English A, Peace and Conflict

Side note: Peace and conflict is a combination class of world issues, politics, economics, history, theology and sociology.

If you want to go into sciences (clearly engineer, physicist, chemist or something along those lines) then what you took is not only good but pretty much essential.

People will tell you "OMG HL MATHS + SCIENCE YOU ARE INSANE" because those are generally considered to be quite tough, especially HL maths. Though maths IS hard, you'll need it for practically anything scientific in the physical sciences. It's clearly what you're into so you're gonna enjoy this combination the most.

There's no reason at all why you shouldn't take this combination if you're interested in science and maths, don't let others try and change your mind just because they don't like those subjects. Personally I would call anyone doing English HL insane :biggrin: Objectively though, the only "insane" choice you can make is one where you pick a subject because you think it would be "easier" even though you know you wouldn't enjoy it; a recipe for a bad grade.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 736
Hello everybody,

I am taking IB next year and I don't which subjects I should choose. Some people tell me that I should go for easiest subjects and score highest grades. However, I heard that easycombination of subjects is not recommended and they might be also disregarded by better univesities such as LSE or Warwick.

My first choice of subjects is:
HL English B
HL Economics
HL History
SL Maths
SL French
SLBiology

My second harder option of subjects is:
HL English B
HL Maths
HL Economics
SL History
SL French
SL Physics

I addition I would like to do degree of economics/management or engineering.

Thank you,
Reply 737
Original post by golem484
Hello everybody,

I am taking IB next year and I don't which subjects I should choose. Some people tell me that I should go for easiest subjects and score highest grades. However, I heard that easycombination of subjects is not recommended and they might be also disregarded by better univesities such as LSE or Warwick.

My first choice of subjects is:
HL English B
HL Economics
HL History
SL Maths
SL French
SLBiology

My second harder option of subjects is:
HL English B
HL Maths
HL Economics
SL History
SL French
SL Physics

I addition I would like to do degree of economics/management or engineering.

Thank you,

Before I say anything, I'd like to mention English: taking English B puts you at a disadvantage I believe, because you will also have to take a TOEFL or IELTS and especially for management which is very essay based, they might not be completely confident in your English. You should probably check the websites and prospectuses for that, or send them an Email, because I'm not sure how important it is.

Seen as you mention economics and LSE and Warwick, I already have to say that you will have to take HL Maths as it's a requirement (you need a 7 at LSE and 6 at Warwick, though they might even raise that in the future, you never know). Same for all the similarly ranked universities for pure Economics, most universities in the top10-top20 will want to see HL maths.

For Engineering, you will most definitely also need HL Maths and physics too, and a lot of engineers take Chemistry at HL, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary. Probably good to check for the universities you're interested in though, whether another science helps. In my opinion, with the kind of university you are aiming for and with the subjects you are looking for, I would take

HL Maths
HL Economics
HL Physics
SL History
SL French
SL English

to keep my options open. If you definitely want to do economics, swap HL Physics for something else, preferably History or something like that, unless you want to do Physics. If you know you want to do Management, your original selection is probably fine, though HL Maths will still be very helpful for your application even if it's not a requirement.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 738
I am starting my diploma program next year. I plan to go to a North American university but have no idea what I want to do in the future.

Here are the IB subjects that I picked

HL: English Lit., Chemistry, Chinese B
SL: Physics, Math, Economics

Should I switch from double science to 1 art 1 science?
Is double language HL ok or is it not recommended?

Thanks in advance~~
Kimiechi
Okay so I'm starting the IB in September, and I am thinking of doing the following subjects:
English Literature HL
History HL
French HL
Chemistry SL
Maths SL
Biology SL

Your subject choices for HLs are perfect for Law at Uni. I'm currently studying Law at LSE and before starting the IB, I spoke to many advisors and counsellors about my ideal subject choices (because Oxbridge was my aim then). They all unanimously told me that for Law, although there is no prescribed list of subjects that Unis prefer, the one subject that they resoundingly consider important for the future study of Law is English. For whatever reason, History is also given weight for Law applications (or so I've been told and I took it at HL).

Seeing as you want to study Law in conjunction with French at Uni, taking French HL is advisable for you as well.

Kimiechi
Would these be suitable subjects for Law with French Law at university? This is not definite though, and I am quite interested in science too, although by only taking science at Standard level, I will probably be ruling this out. If I do change my mind, would I be keeping my options open for most Arts subjects? Also, I could change one of the SL's for an Ab Intio language (Spanish). Would this be a good idea to show that I am interested in languages, or should I stick to the original combination?

You really need to sort out what you want, if not the exact field, then at least roughly the subject area. Do you want to ultimately study some science field? Social science? Or pure Arts? If you're going for Social science (and Law in particular), then your current subject choices are perfect. You can switch around with the sciences if you want and take another language or maybe another social science (I would suggest Economics or Psychology), it wouldn't make much of a difference.

If you're interested in a science field, then you have to take at least one science (the one I assume you're interested in) at HL, otherwise you're ruling out sciences entirely.

As far as Arts are concerned, you have the ideal combination for Arts whether or not you drop one science for Spanish or not. English, History, and French are more than enough. Those fields will be open to you unless the university teaching a particular Art course specifies differently.

Taking three languages is a bit much, in my opinion. Why would you want to show you're good in languages by taking three anyway? Unless you're going for linguistics, international relations, or some such, what purpose will it serve? Showing you've taken English and French at HL is displaying more than enough linguistic prowess if you ask me.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending