The Student Room Group

OCR Salters Chemistry B F332 Advance Notice May 2011 Polymers on the move

Scroll to see replies

any1 got jan 11 f332 paper, advance notice looks cool
of to get my haircutt, are you sure no one has jan 11 f332??
Reply 22
1 hour 45 minutes is not enough time

I managed 4 questions on a chemistry natural resources past paper (skipped Q5 because it was based on the advance notice for that year) and I got 71% which is an A according to most markschemes, problem is... it took me almost 2 bloody hours! how am I meant to fit a fifth question in and have an even lower time frame to complete the paper...

:confused:
Reply 23
Original post by ilyking
1 hour 45 minutes is not enough time

I managed 4 questions on a chemistry natural resources past paper (skipped Q5 because it was based on the advance notice for that year) and I got 71% which is an A according to most markschemes, problem is... it took me almost 2 bloody hours! how am I meant to fit a fifth question in and have an even lower time frame to complete the paper...

:confused:

Its ironic how examiners state on the examiners report that 'there was no suggestion that candidates had a problem with the length of the paper'.
:facepalm:
****ting myself about this exam, and it's a retake as well. aaaaaaah, i hate polymers!
need f332 jan 11 asap
asap manny
Reply 27
Does any1 know what type of questions are going to be asked about the f332 polymers on the move article:confused:
Original post by Hanz_a93
lol gutted

ive got 8 :| and they're all my first sittings
Reply 29
To anybody that has read the advance notice: Why should the weight of cars and aircrafts be reduced?
I'm not too sure, anybody have any answers please?
Reply 30
Original post by Abi_18
To anybody that has read the advance notice: Why should the weight of cars and aircrafts be reduced?
I'm not too sure, anybody have any answers please?

So less energy hence fuel is needed to move the vehicle. This slows down (only very slightly!) the rate at which fossil fuels are being used up
Reply 31
Ohhhh I see, thanks so much, makes sense.
Reply 32
Has anybody come up with potential questions that could be asked for "Polymers on the move" article? If so, please share :smile:
come on people lets get some questions and answers going. i think there will be questions on how polymers are made, like additional polymerisation and stuff on enviromental factors. any other stuff??????
My teacher gave my class these questions as sugested question:

1.draw the full structure of butadiene
2. Why will the polymers like acrylonitrile butadiene styrene be rigid when other plastics like polyethene are soft and flexible?
3.Outline the main stages in the polymerisation of butadiene to make polybutadiene.
4.Why does lower vechicle mass increase fuel efficency?
5.What concerns are there relating to solvents used in paints?
6.Why do some polymers have a high melting pointwhereas other have a high melting point whereas other melt at a lower temperature?
7.Suggest the name of three scientists who might be involved in the production of a new vechicle.
8.Write a balanced equation including state symbols for the reaction of ethanol and propanoic acid. Uder what onditions does this reaction need to take place?
9.Why is it so difficult to recycle plastics?
10. Why do some plastics decompose when they are heated strongly instead of melting?
11.Suggest why incineration of plastics might not be a totally environmentally friendly method ofdisposal.
12. How might vechicles be difrent in 50 yeaars time.
Reply 35
Here are some possible questions that may come up:

Draw the structure of poly(propene) and use it to explain why it is tough.

Draw the structure of poly(chloroethene) and use it to explain why it is strong.

Draw the full structure of the buta-1,3-diene monomer and the butadiene polymer repeating unit.

Define ‘elastomer’.

Suggest in terms of structure and reactivity why polyalkenes are ‘hard to bond’/can’t get chemical grab.

Explain and describe, in terms of intermolecular bonding, the difference in properties between thermoplastics and thermosets.

Draw the full structure of ethylene glycol.

Suggest the gases formed from burning foam.

Explain what ‘oil-based’ means.

What is meant by ‘a free radical’ and how do they form?

Using the reaction between chlorine and methane write equations to illustrate the meaning of the terms ‘initiation’, ‘propagation’ and ‘termination’
Reply 36
Thanks for these hints! Do you know why polyalkenes are hard to grab and hard to bond? Thanks!

Original post by Hanz_a93
Here are some possible questions that may come up:

Draw the structure of poly(propene) and use it to explain why it is tough.

Draw the structure of poly(chloroethene) and use it to explain why it is strong.

Draw the full structure of the buta-1,3-diene monomer and the butadiene polymer repeating unit.

Define ‘elastomer’.

Suggest in terms of structure and reactivity why polyalkenes are ‘hard to bond’/can’t get chemical grab.

Explain and describe, in terms of intermolecular bonding, the difference in properties between thermoplastics and thermosets.

Draw the full structure of ethylene glycol.

Suggest the gases formed from burning foam.

Explain what ‘oil-based’ means.

What is meant by ‘a free radical’ and how do they form?

Using the reaction between chlorine and methane write equations to illustrate the meaning of the terms ‘initiation’, ‘propagation’ and ‘termination’
Reply 37
On page 4, it talks about the adhesive not being able to get a chemical grab on poly(ethene) and poly(propene). However, that's not the case for ABS and polycarbonate. Am I right to assume that this is because of hydrogen bonds (for ABS) and permanent dipole-permanent dipole bonds (for polycarbonate) being formed?
Reply 38
Started my chemistry revision by making some notes for the advance notice article today, included information suggested by my teacher and incorporated some of the suggestions on here. Hopefully it can be of some use to others.

If you find any errors or have any suggestions of other relevant points let me know. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Hudzy
Started my chemistry revision by making some notes for the advance notice article today, included information suggested by my teacher and incorporated some of the suggestions on here. Hopefully it can be of some use to others.

If you find any errors or have any suggestions of other relevant points let me know. :smile:

Thanks a lot for that bro (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest