The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by nadz123456
I've got an offer from Christ's aswell to 'read' law (standar offer A*AA) what about you....? And are you sure about the grade thing :confused:....Im really stuggling to get my self motivated to start revising......

Yay for your offer! Hello fellow Christ-ian :smile:

and Yep I'm sure :smile: If you look on their website, there's a prospective fresher's page and on there it is stated that "We will be writing to you as soon as possible after we have been able to review all published exam results. We automatically look at the possibility of relaxing the conditions of candidates who narrowly miss their target."

You should have received an email a while ago with the link to this page, so it'll be in your email somewhere :smile:

Don't worry, I'm struggling too. I think it's a general year 13 thing - you're so closse to the end of your schooling career that you can't wait for it to be over.
Just remember, the hard work will be worth it and that in about two months time you have three whole months to relax :smile: (kind of.)

Good Luck!

*Note: This may not necessarily be the case for all colleges - this is just what I've heard from Christ's :smile:
How many exams has everyone got?
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
How many exams has everyone got?

7! Panicking like crazy!! :eek:
Reply 1603
Original post by kpatb
If your offer is on the higher end of IB offers (ie 42) if you miss by a point, they'll probably be okay. But they'll only make that decision when A level results are out in any case.
It depends how oversubscribed your course and college is I guess - the more oversubscribed it is, the less likely you are to accept you :/

From their website: "In a few cases, applicants who haven't quite met the conditions of their original offer may still be offered a place, either at their original College, or at another College following a small 'summer pool'."

More from their website:
"If you have not quite met the offer, please don’t panic! Depending on the number of students who have met their offers, there may be a few places available at the College you applied to or at another College. Please be patient for a little longer - your College will contact you as soon as possible. Please check the status of your application on UCAS Track (www.ucas.com/students/track/) rather than telephoning the College/University at this busy time."

But surely, it's better to cross that bridge when y ou get there? :smile: You haven't missed on your results and you don't know for sure so stop thinking about it!
Good luck!

True. Thanks for the links and advice there too.

Is veterinary medicine an "oversubscribed" course? (though there's no point in me figuring this out is there)
Reply 1604
Original post by Smelly Ellie

Ha. :smile: Well in IB I have.. let's see.. something like 12 exams?

Good luck for yours though! Although I don't believe in it, I know I need some luck for SURE.
Original post by may2010

Is veterinary medicine an "oversubscribed" course? (though there's no point in me figuring this out is there)

YOU'RE A VET?! :biggrin: Hellooooooo! Which college?
Reply 1606
Original post by may2010

No problem :smile:
I'm not sure about Vet Med to be honest.

Looking at the statistics from Cambridge's website, from the 80 or 90 people they give offers to every year, about 10 or 15 people don't go to the university - now I don't know why that is, there could be several reasons:
People didn't meet their offers;
they decided to go to firm another university (rare, but it could happen);
They decided to go to another university in another country;
etc etc.

Really, don't worry about meeting results now - You already have exams to worry about at the moment and exams themselves are HIGHLY stressful without you having to worry about meeting your offer.

For the next few weeks, just concentrate on doing as well as you possibly can in your exams - if you're worried, try cramming a bit :P

After that, start worrying about the slight possibility that you haven't met your offer (which I doubt will be the case :smile: )

Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by Smelly Ellie

I have 7 just maths :awesome:
10 altogether, kicking off on monday.. FML
Reply 1608
Original post by Hermione17
Hey, do you know whether it's the same for IELTS (an English language test for international students)? A friend of mine got an offer from Churchill for Natsci, he is not sure whether he can get the IELTS score Churchill asked for (he is currently struggling in both speaking and writing)

They might make him do this (or something similar) http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/eap/eap.php?c=1 (usually for graduates) so big questionmark.
What are his IELTS conditions?
I've got 6 exams and for some reason I'm not TOO stressed about it. It's weird. Probably because I had 12 last year?
Original post by may2010

yep it is, or at least every year there are a few people who get in via the summer pool (so other people must have missed their offers) but having said that its entirely dependant on the DOS whether he/she lets you in anyway
Reply 1611
Original post by timsquirrell
I've got 6 exams and for some reason I'm not TOO stressed about it. It's weird. Probably because I had 12 last year?

Probably :P
I have 10 exams this year, 2 of them are extra modules that I'm doing, so I only have 8 which count.
So in comparison with my 13 exams from last June, this is tons better :P
I've got an offer from Christ's aswell to 'read' law (standar offer A*AA) what about you....? And are you sure about the grade thing :confused:....Im really stuggling to get my self motivated to start revising......

Not to rudely butt in to your conversation - but woo, another Christ's person :biggrin:

To make this seem not completely useless, I've taken up the challenge posted by another person on TSR called the 50 hour revision week. I'm on my second day and I've done about 11 hours so far - it's really helping with my motivation, maybe worth a go? :smile:

Edit: also, I got a letter from Christ's today saying that if I miss my offer to send them my UMS scores to see if I would still be admitted, I presume you have had the same thing?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1613
Original post by indifferencepersonified
Not to rudely butt in to your conversation - but woo, another Christ's person :biggrin:

To make this seem not completely useless, I've taken up the challenge posted by another person on TSR called the 50 hour revision week. I'm on my second day and I've done about 11 hours so far - it's really helping with my motivation, maybe worth a go? :smile:

Edit: also, I got a letter from Christ's today saying that if I miss my offer to send them my UMS scores to see if I would still be admitted, I presume you have had the same thing?

1. 50 HOURS A WEEK? OH MY GOD.
2. Are you on study leave yet?
3. I still have school at the moment, so I'm still at school to finish some of my courses (like further maths) and believe it or not, I'm still trying to finish coursework D: So trying to revise as well is proving to be nearly impossible D:
4. Hello another Christ's person! :smile: I think we've talked before!
5. I want a letter. Why don't I get a letter? It maybe something to do with the fact that mail in the middle east takes about 4 weeks to reach a house -___- Ugh.

What exams are you guys doing in june? :smile:
Original post by indifferencepersonified

Great to 'meet' another 'Chrit-ian'!:cool:
WOOOW '50 hour revision week'....I'm struggling to do two hours of continous revision loool....jeeez I wish I had your motivation...!

I got the letter today aswell and can I ask what subject you're hoping to 'read'?
Original post by kpatb
3. I still have school at the moment, so I'm still at school to finish some of my courses (like further maths) and believe it or not, I'm still trying to finish coursework D: So trying to revise as well is proving to be nearly impossible D:
5. I want a letter. Why don't I get a letter? It maybe something to do with the fact that mail in the middle east takes about 4 weeks to reach a house -___- Ugh.

Sorry to butt in loool but where in the Middle East are you from if you don't mind my asking.....?
Reply 1616
i had no letters that sounded this friendly from Robinson... all been 'send results slips, send ID, fill in CRB checks' no comforting 'we'll let you in if you dont quite get that BLOODY a*'!!!! So yeah, im kinda stressing too :-)
Original post by kpatb

I'll answer in the same format :smile:
1. Yes it is proving an almost impossible task, but the point is that it's given me a short term goal to aim for so I'm revising quite a lot to try and meet the target.
2. No not yet, I finish school on the 20th of this month.
3. Oh my that's very frustrating, I thought most coursework deadlines had come and gone by now?
4. Hi :biggrin: Yes we have I think.
5. I'm sorry for your letter loss, I hope it heals with time (or your letter arrives!)

I'm doing Chem5, Biol5 and Core4. I'm glad to only be doing the 3. How about you?
Great to 'meet' another 'Chrit-ian'!:cool:
WOOOW '50 hour revision week'....I'm struggling to do two hours of continous revision loool....jeeez I wish I had your motivation...!

I got the letter today aswell and can I ask what subject you're hoping to 'read'?

Yes I found the same thing, so I figured by taking on a challenge that I would be more likely to do the work, and so far it has worked quite well. I've actually only just rediscovered my motivation, I recently finished one of my A-levels and reckon that if the marks stay the same on the ISA's that I'll have an A*, so now I only need E's and U's to make my offer - which sounds good, but is completely demotivating!
I will (must be positive! :tongue: ) be reading medicine, how about you? Do you have many exams coming up?
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
eurgh :eek: - I would be too, but luckily I've only got 3 :smile:

I've only got 3 too, are you from scotland by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest