The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who went to warwick open day, what did you think? I absolutely loved it, especially the SU and Zeeman Building.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Anyone who went to warwick open day, what did you think? I absolutely loved it, especially the SU and Zeeman Building.

I did! And I can't wait to apply for it, it is definitely going to be my first choice (or maybe I should loo at other unis before deciding lol). What did you think about MORSE? I am definitely going to apply for it but will probably apply maths as well. And there's soo many societies, I can see myself joining so many :biggrin:
Original post by like_a_star
I did! And I can't wait to apply for it, it is definitely going to be my first choice (or maybe I should loo at other unis before deciding lol). What did you think about MORSE? I am definitely going to apply for it but will probably apply maths as well. And there's soo many societies, I can see myself joining so many :biggrin:

MORSE looked fantastic, I really like the flexibility of it and I sort of preferred it to maths. It may have been that i walked in 10 minutes late to maths and it was extremely hot in that room that ruined my opinion.

And i know, was really shocked at how many societies there were. They even have a chocolate and cheese society. How do those things even go together apart from the fact they are made with milk?

But I was really blown away by how close everything was and how much they had on campus like the costcutter and costa and two cinemas. Also which accomodation did you see, I went to Jack Martin and to be honest the rooms were fairly nice but I found the 12 person kitchen a bit much. I didn't really have time to see Rootes or Arthur Vick.
Reply 363
I really loved Warwick, I'm definately applying their for straight Maths :biggrin:
The MORSE talk had a very enthusiastic speaker, he was quite entertaining in comparison to the Maths undergrad admissions guy, who just quoted the entire admissions website for an hour... yawn. However I know that despite how great MORSE looked, I don't want 20% stats, 20 % economics, that's too much.

To top it all off... their is a small water feature by the Maths building with ducks in it!!!
Original post by fGDu
I really loved Warwick, I'm definately applying their for straight Maths :biggrin:
The MORSE talk had a very enthusiastic speaker, he was quite entertaining in comparison to the Maths undergrad admissions guy, who just quoted the entire admissions website for an hour... yawn. However I know that despite how great MORSE looked, I don't want 20% stats, 20 % economics, that's too much.

To top it all off... their is a small water feature by the Maths building with ducks in it!!!

Is that the same as the large water feature with the fountains? And I couldn't agree more with you about the speakers. The MORSE speaker was constantly making everyone laugh and I just found that the Maths speaker was difficult to listen to for the full hour. I was sitting in the back two rows and I was actually struggling to understand him.
Reply 365
Yes the one with the fountains, were you the guy that came in late to the maths lecture, and ran up the stairs to the top?
Oxford talk was pretty good :biggrin:

The Applied Mathematics on modelling was intriguing but it was a pity that I've already read and learned everything on the Foundation of Mathematics talk; would have been nice for something other than set theory... -.-

Out of interest, which colleges did you guys visit? I went to see St. Catz.
Original post by fGDu
Yes the one with the fountains, were you the guy that came in late to the maths lecture, and ran up the stairs to the top?

I wouldn't call it small, its a pretty huge water feature and no that wasn't me, I was the one who came in from the top entrance about 10/15 mins late. My previous lecture over ran. I came in quite quietly so i don't think many people saw me.
Reply 368
I was going to put small lake, but realised it wasn't a lake at all and forgot to remove the small :redface:
MORSE looked fantastic, I really like the flexibility of it and I sort of preferred it to maths. It may have been that i walked in 10 minutes late to maths and it was extremely hot in that room that ruined my opinion.

And i know, was really shocked at how many societies there were. They even have a chocolate and cheese society. How do those things even go together apart from the fact they are made with milk?

But I was really blown away by how close everything was and how much they had on campus like the costcutter and costa and two cinemas. Also which accomodation did you see, I went to Jack Martin and to be honest the rooms were fairly nice but I found the 12 person kitchen a bit much. I didn't really have time to see Rootes or Arthur Vick.

I know. I definitely would like to go to a campus uni no matter where I go because it is so much more convenient and sociable.
I saw Jack Martin and Arthur Vick. I think the kitchen was ok, your not going to be cooking all at the same time and cleaners come in to keep it clean so it should be ok hopefully. But there were other accommodation that had less to one kitchen but they are more expensive and weren't on show. The Arthur Vick kitchen was even smaller and had 14 people to it! :eek: but they did have a seperate lounge to sit in unlike Jack Martin. I didn't go see Rootes because I want to get an en suite
Original post by like_a_star
I know. I definitely would like to go to a campus uni no matter where I go because it is so much more convenient and sociable.
I saw Jack Martin and Arthur Vick. I think the kitchen was ok, your not going to be cooking all at the same time and cleaners come in to keep it clean so it should be ok hopefully. But there were other accommodation that had less to one kitchen but they are more expensive and weren't on show. The Arthur Vick kitchen was even smaller and had 14 people to it! :eek: but they did have a seperate lounge to sit in unlike Jack Martin. I didn't go see Rootes because I want to get an en suite

Me too, i can't imagine sharing a bathroom with like 6 people. Also to be honest rootes looked horrible.
Original post by Reminisce

The Applied Mathematics on modelling was intriguing but it was a pity that I've already read and learned everything on the Foundation of Mathematics talk; would have been nice for something other than set theory... -.-

set theory is actually quite interesting. You'll see its quite useful in describing lots of things e.g. analysis. The pure maths talk that I went to last year touched on some basics about galois theory. When I went last year, the applied maths one was about red/grey squirrels - quite interesting. What was yours about.
Me too, i can't imagine sharing a bathroom with like 6 people. Also to be honest rootes looked horrible.

If you get an interview then get ready to share a shower too. And share a room if you are unlucky.
Original post by anshul95
If you get an interview then get ready to share a shower too. And share a room if you are unlucky.

It's ok, i doubt i'll get as far as an interview.
Original post by anshul95
set theory is actually quite interesting. You'll see its quite useful in describing lots of things e.g. analysis. The pure maths talk that I went to last year touched on some basics about galois theory. When I went last year, the applied maths one was about red/grey squirrels - quite interesting. What was yours about.

I know its interesting. It's beautiful. :wink:

I thought I said in my post that I've already read heavily into it lol that's why I made that minor and light-hearted rant...

Anyhow, the applied mathematics was on modeling the motion of a bike as you drag it or push it and on whether it would jack-knife. Some interesting ideas with ODEs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 375
Original post by maths134
In the respect that Cambridge is amazing and I desperately want to go, yes. In the respect that its unlikely I will get in, no. =p Over all was really good thought and definately applying to Clare =D

You never know until you apply. I didn't think I had much of a chance when I applied.

Also, glad I helped you make a decision :smile:
Original post by around
You never know until you apply. I didn't think I had much of a chance when I applied.

Also, glad I helped you make a decision :smile:

ooooh, who were you ? and thanks, I imagine you have your own exams soon. (I was the guy who failed with the series question and had 'shorts' on)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Reminisce

Lol I completely fell asleep during the applied maths talk, and enjoyed the others :colondollar:
Might have been something to do with getting 5 hours of sleep though.

I liked that the guy said he gets up at 11am every day. That beats Saturday morning lectures :awesome:

I got there at 10 in the morning so I went and looked around most of the central colleges, then went to Balliol again in the afternoon for the tour. Which was a waste of time to be honest. It's still one of my top choices, along with Worcester. St. Catherine's seems a bit too far out for me

Original post by Jampolo
moi, but on the 14th

Which college? I'm going to Sidney Sussex, gonna have to get up at half past 6, yay
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 378
Original post by dnumberwang
Which college? I'm going to Sidney Sussex, gonna have to get up at half past 6, yay

Good college choice, that.
Are you guys prepared for AS exams?

Latest