The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
i got a general one from aberdeen and Glasgow's not even replied. Never applying Scotland again

Ah. I can't say I'm surprised, vague answers are usually the order of the day.
Reply 1621
Original post by dmz
i got a general one from aberdeen and Glasgow's not even replied. Never applying Scotland again

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Ah. I can't say I'm surprised, vague answers are usually the order of the day.

Nothing beats those UCAS letters...

"Your application is no longer being considered by University of Leicester for Medicine, A100 because either they have decided not to offer you a place or your application has been withdrawn. The reason is given below.

Your application has been unsuccessful"

Yeah, thanks for that :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1622
Original post by -Taz-
Nothing beats those UCAS letters...

"Your application is no longer being considered by University of Leicester for Medicine, A100 because either they have decided not to offer you a place or your application has been withdrawn. The reason is given below.

Your application has been unsuccessful"

Yeah, thanks for that :teehee:

Haha Gosh i hate this bloody admission process, as much as i want to be a surgeon starting to think the course I'm starting would be much more suited to me
Original post by dmz
Haha Gosh i hate this bloody admission process, as much as i want to be a surgeon starting to think the course I'm starting would be much more suited to me

You is the man, demi. :colondollar:

Have some love. :jiggy:
Reply 1624
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Oh I get you.
Yeah it's the same price as last year
Wanted to register yesterday but it turns out you don't need to register again, just book another exam for this cycle i think..

Ahh noo. Did we have a login name? I doubt I'd remember my login or password or anything :/ I might book it at the start of study leave, when I can sit down one morning and order my 600Q book and a load of prospectuses.

Original post by dmz

Nooo, never give up Demi :frown: You'll be an amazing surgeon, and thats what these threads are for - when you start to doubt yourself, we'll hammer it into your head that you're wrong to doubt at all :biggrin:
Reply 1625
Original post by twelve
Ahh noo. Did we have a login name? I doubt I'd remember my login or password or anything :/ I might book it at the start of study leave, when I can sit down one morning and order my 600Q book and a load of prospectuses.

Nooo, never give up Demi :frown: You'll be an amazing surgeon, and thats what these threads are for - when you start to doubt yourself, we'll hammer it into your head that you're wrong to doubt at all :biggrin:
not being big headed but I'm sure i could do it, but it seems to be more about workload as opposed to complex tasks, i prefer the latter really. I don't know anymore tho, just confused thinking whether all this is worth, got mild allopecia at some point stressing about it
Original post by firestar101
You is the man, demi. :colondollar:

Have some love. :jiggy:

lol
Original post by twelve

Original post by dmz
not being big headed but I'm sure i could do it, but it seems to be more about workload as opposed to complex tasks, i prefer the latter really. I don't know anymore tho, just confused thinking whether all this is worth, got mild allopecia at some point stressing about it

lol

It is worth it :smile:
Reply 1627
It is worth it :smile:

you're only in first year :tongue:. Just don't want to delude myself cos I'm so fixated on getting in but i would so much love to be a surgeon
Original post by dmz
you're only in first year :tongue:. Just don't want to delude myself cos I'm so fixated on getting in but i would so much love to be a surgeon

I was making a point to do with the UKCAT.....

I think surgery is ridiculously competitive for a very boring job :rolleyes: I shan't be doing anything like that :smile:
Original post by twelve

I'm sure you can click the "forgotten login" or something and they can email you cos i forgot mine.. :colondollar:

I think surgery is ridiculously competitive for a very boring job :rolleyes: I shan't be doing anything like that :smile:

I used to want to be a surgeon but soon realised that i that i just liked the aesthetics of it. You sit rigorous exams and so on just to perform the same kind of surgery over and over and over and over... ..... again. And you don't actually see the patient much, apart from when they're on the operating table.
I already think i'll prefer medicine to surgery
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by firestar101
Hey, Everyone

I have made a new thread in the medicine section about how the ukcat is used in each medical school. It is quite long, but it should help everyone when they have decide what medical school to apply to.

The thread is here:-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1629090

You, are a sexy man/woman.
Reply 1631
I'm sure you can click the "forgotten login" or something and they can email you cos i forgot mine.. :colondollar:

I used to want to be a surgeon but soon realised that i that i just liked the aesthetics of it. You sit rigorous exams and so on just to perform the same kind of surgery over and over and over and over... ..... again. And you don't actually see the patient much, apart from when they're on the operating table.

medicine is surgery :tongue: and it's far more than operating, you have patients you look after before deciding whether they need surgery or not and even post op, physician is quite attractive cos it's a bit like being a detective...but the frustration when you can't figure it out. I personally prefer surgery but you have 7/8 yrs to figure it out once you start medical school so probably best to keep an open :smile:
Reply 1632
I was making a point to do with the UKCAT.....

Ha right, twas cos you quoted me as well :tongue:, i thrive on competition :wink: plus I'm black, natural drive to cut people, just joking lol
Reply 1633
Original post by dmz

lol

I'm sure if you asked anyone (nearly) at medical school they would tell you it is worth it. It'll be worth it the day someone says thankyou for everything you've done for them. The day you get your first thankyou card, you'll realise its worth it :smile:

Original post by dmz
medicine is surgery :tongue: and it's far more than operating, you have patients you look after before deciding whether they need surgery or not and even post op, physician is quite attractive cos it's a bit like being a detective...but the frustration when you can't figure it out. I personally prefer surgery but you have 7/8 yrs to figure it out once you start medical school so probably best to keep an open :smile:

I think the working it out it what makes me want to do medicine, rather than surgery, even though I do agree it seems like its more exciting. It is true that you'd spend so much time doing the same procedure again and again, whereas as a physician, every persons case will be different. Although, as I say, surgery seems a lot more exciting - thats what I wanted to see most on my work experience!

Ahh good. It seems a bit silly to keep the same username and stuff for a test you'll only do once a year :/ Apart from logging in to book it, I never used a login!

Original post by dmz
Ha right, twas cos you quoted me as well :tongue:, i thrive on competition :wink: plus I'm black, natural drive to cut people, just joking lol

Haha, its so brilliant that you're so racist about your own race. I probably would be as well, but there's not many white people racist jokes :/ Unless you've got a few up your sleeve demi?

EDIT: Ohh I do love multiquote :rolleyes:
Reply 1634
too much focus required to reply you on quote using my phone :tongue:, so : aww, you forget about that sometimes Yea same, it's really good but then doing so many hours a week with 100's of people of that. But the great thing about medicine is you're constantly doing different things. With surgery it feels like something i can become near perfect at some point in my life like say 50, but both sounds great and no need to decide nowHaha and I'd still be the same race if i got to choose :smile:, y'all are lovely folks, lol just kidding, every race generally has significant flaws, just don't let mine decide who i am. Don't think it would be smiled upon :tongue:
Original post by dmz

Competition definitely has it's place, it is an effective incentive. Though I am only in first year and have no idea what I want to do, the idea of being that competitive until you're 40 does not sound very appealing.
Original post by dmz

Original post by twelve
I think the working it out it what makes me want to do medicine, rather than surgery, even though I do agree it seems like its more exciting. It is true that you'd spend so much time doing the same procedure again and again, whereas as a physician, every persons case will be different. Although, as I say, surgery seems a lot more exciting - thats what I wanted to see most on my work experience!

lol don't get me wrong, they're both amazing careers and I haven't decided yet, plenty of time for that and doing everything at first, is what makes medicine fun.
It's just from an early age, i'd already decided that I wanted to work with children, even before i knew i wanted to do medicine, just not sure i can face the thought of operating on them though.. :frown:
Reply 1637
lol don't get me wrong, they're both amazing careers and I haven't decided yet, plenty of time for that and doing everything at first, is what makes medicine fun.
It's just from an early age, i'd already decided that I wanted to work with children, even before i knew i wanted to do medicine, just not sure i can face the thought of operating on them though.. :frown:

Ahh yes I see your point. Although having said that, I think I'd struggle to cut anyone open, let alone a child.

I'd be able to sew them back up though :lol:
Reply 1638
Original post by twelve
Ahh yes I see your point. Although having said that, I think I'd struggle to cut anyone open, let alone a child.

I'd find sewing back up the duller part, taking things apart out of curiousity to see what's inside's always much better than the sew up :tongue: lol
Reply 1639
Original post by twelve

Original post by dmz
I'd find sewing back up the duller part, taking things apart out of curiousity to see what's inside's always much better than the sew up :tongue: lol

I remember going on a university open day, and they had an amputated hand. Just looking at it made feel i was about to pass out - i had to leave the room discretely :colondollar:

Anyone else get a bit of that? or is it just me not suited too well to a career in medicine.

... I am getting better though. During my work experience i saw a live operation, and although i wasn't right on top of it, i did get up close a few times and didn't feel anywhere near as bad as the first time

Thoughts? is it the sort of thing you can sort of get desensitised to after a while, or is this a major obstacle for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending