The Student Room Group

Higher History!!!

Does anyone have any idea what the questions will be for Paper 1

I'm doing Russia and Britain after 1850s

Scroll to see replies

For Britain, I'm learning women and the two democracy essays, and I'll probably glance over why liberals just in case. We didn't do labour for time reasons and I never bothered to learn to what extent liberals. Don't know about Russia, we're doing appeasement.
Hey

For Britain I am learning all the topics apart from the first democracy essay

what do you think will come up in appeasement
Reply 3
I'm doing the USA and Britain after 1850 :smile:

I'm really nervous about this paper since I struggle to put my argument down on paper a lot of the time, sources are more my thing.

I'm hoping for a 'to what extent was the growth of democracy after 1860...?' for Britain as that was my extended essay and we haven't actually finished the rest of the issues yet anyway. Not feeling hugely confident just now.
Reply 4
I hope Hitler's Rise to power will come up. if not, I'm pretty much gonna fail, lol.
Hey I'm doing:

For Britain:
When democracy
Why democracy
Women
and why liberal reforms

For Germany:
Hitler's rise to power
Hitler in power

And Appeasement:
Why adopt appeasement
and how effective was it.

I kinda rushed through appeasement so I'd do that only if I didn't have a choice. Women is by far my best topic, and in general I am stronger at Britain than Germany and Appeasement.

I'm hoping I can do why women got the vote and Hitler in power. If women did come up I'd be over the moon! :biggrin:

Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 6
do use think either the labour or liberal reforms will come up??
Reply 7
Hopefully. Looking at the questions for the past few years, either of them always came up. They're my favourite topics, so I hope either of them will come up.

Does anyone know what can come up for Appeasement? I don't actually know the topic, as I joined when my class just finished it. I'm worried that relying only on Hitler's Rise to power and Life in Nazi Geramny, it won't be enough. : |
For Paper one I'm doing:

Britain 1850 - 1928:

Why Democracy
When Democracy
Glance at Liberals :s-smilie:

Germany 1815-71/Nazi Germany 1918-1939

Otto von 'Badass' Bismarck/Prussia (Zollverein etc)
Rise of Hitler
Hitler in Power

Paper 2:

Scots and the First World War (I think they'll make it easy as it's the first year running.)
Reply 9
is it only Scottish history in Paper 2, now?
Original post by Martyna156
is it only Scottish history in Paper 2, now?

Yes that's right. Which topic are you doing for paper 2?

Original post by GiantFrozenPenguin
Paper 2:

Scots and the First World War (I think they'll make it easy as it's the first year running.)

Cool, I'm doing "the Impact of the Great War on Scotland" too :smile: I hope it will be an easy paper, I need to get an A for it for uni! :eek3:
Reply 11
Can I ask, has everybody else finished the course? Because my class still have an issue and a bit to cover and 4 hours in which to do it. Not that I'm panicking or anything... :O
Original post by _Stephieee
Can I ask, has everybody else finished the course? Because my class still have an issue and a bit to cover and 4 hours in which to do it. Not that I'm panicking or anything... :O

I finished my Higher History course about three weeks ago. Now it's simply revision. I'm studying:

Paper 1 -

Germany: Early Nationalism & Rise of Hitler
Britain: (I don't remember dates) Women, Liberals, Labour and the like.

Paper 2 -

Effects on Scotland after the Great War

I find Germany undeniably interesting and easy to talk about; whereas, Britain seems boring and dry. I'm hoping to write about Early Nationalism and Liberals/Labour.
Paper 2 isn't too bad, but annoyingly enough, there aren't many questions on it as it's fairly new, so we don't really have much to practice on... :s-smilie:
Original post by GiantFrozenPenguin
For Paper one I'm doing:

Britain 1850 - 1928:

Why Democracy
When Democracy
Glance at Liberals :s-smilie:

Germany 1815-71/Nazi Germany 1918-1939

Otto von 'Badass' Bismarck/Prussia (Zollverein etc)
Rise of Hitler
Hitler in Power

Paper 2:

I should have quoted you in my previous post: I'm doing exactly what you're doing :smile:. And yes, Biz (that's my cute nickname for him) is rather badass. :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by Quick-use
I finished my Higher History course about three weeks ago. Now it's simply revision. I'm studying:

Paper 1 -

Germany: Early Nationalism & Rise of Hitler
Britain: (I don't remember dates) Women, Liberals, Labour and the like.

Paper 2 -

Effects on Scotland after the Great War

I find Germany undeniably interesting and easy to talk about; whereas, Britain seems boring and dry. I'm hoping to write about Early Nationalism and Liberals/Labour.
Paper 2 isn't too bad, but annoyingly enough, there aren't many questions on it as it's fairly new, so we don't really have much to practice on... :s-smilie:

3 weeks ago? This is not good news for my class then.

I'm also doing the Impact of the Great War on Scotland for Paper 2. Sources are definitely more my thing than the essays but I'm stressing about the recall already.

How did your prelim go? :smile:
3 weeks ago? This is not good news for my class then.

I'm also doing the Impact of the Great War on Scotland for Paper 2. Sources are definitely more my thing than the essays but I'm stressing about the recall already.

How did your prelim go? :smile:

We finished quickly as we rushed through the course: my teacher apparently had nightmares during the snow fiesta and whether or not we would finish in time. :redface:

The Prelim didn't agree with me. :mad: Naturally, I hadn't revised :wink: so, with little knowledge of the sources, I improvised: I treated it like a Close Reading paper and connoted the sources for connotations, which I used as my recall... :colondollar: It actually worked though, and I (scraped) a pass :biggrin:. My teacher was not impressed by my mountainous amount of revision as I didn't achieve my expected A :rolleyes:.

I'll admit that I was sure of History before, but now I'm fearing for the exam... I always knew I could dish out good, A-standard essays but I've not been putting any work in lately due to a memory game they call Human Biology :frown:. So I'll be revising a lot, hopefully... :colondollar:

What about you? I've told you my life-story: tell me about yours. :smile:
Reply 16
We finished quickly as we rushed through the course: my teacher apparently had nightmares during the snow fiesta and whether or not we would finish in time. :redface:

The Prelim didn't agree with me. :mad: Naturally, I hadn't revised :wink: so, with little knowledge of the sources, I improvised: I treated it like a Close Reading paper and connoted the sources for connotations, which I used as my recall... :colondollar: It actually worked though, and I (scraped) a pass :biggrin:. My teacher was not impressed by my mountainous amount of revision as I didn't achieve my expected A :rolleyes:.

I'll admit that I was sure of History before, but now I'm fearing for the exam... I always knew I could dish out good, A-standard essays but I've not been putting any work in lately due to a memory game they call Human Biology :frown:. So I'll be revising a lot, hopefully... :colondollar:

What about you? I've told you my life-story: tell me about yours. :smile:

Ah yes, the snow was rather a pain in that sense :wink:

My prelim was alright in the end. I had it the day after my Maths prelim which meant I did virtually no revision for it, since I have not exactly got a natural affinity with numbers :wink:

Anyway, I thought I'd done terribly and totally screwed up but I managed to get miss an A by 1 mark, which even with no revision, does kinda hurt, I cannot lie :wink:

My problem with History is that I joined the class eight weeks late and have been left playing catch up the whole year.

And off topic slightly, but Human Biology, I take it too, its utterly ridiculous the amount there is to learn, and I haven't actually started revision for it yet I shamefully admit :wink:

Yeah, I can't half go on too... sorry :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

I just finished last week. Although I was the first in my class to do so, some people in my class are still getting the last 3 essays done...

We could have finished so much earlier if my teacher didn't teach us a topic that isn't even in the higher course any more!

Yeah I don't like that too. Although you can still practice taking stuff from sources in past papers because you don't need to know any recall, just technique.
Reply 18
Original post by chr1stopher11
Yes that's right. Which topic are you doing for paper 2?

I'm doing Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328 : ) it's quite an interesting topic :smile:
Original post by Martyna156
I'm doing Scottish Wars of Independence 1286-1328 :smile: it's quite an interesting topic :smile:

Cool. I'm doing the impact of the Great War on Scotland. Its okay. Its good for the exam as there is tonnes of statistics for it so easy knowledge marks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest