The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
Original post by odris
Anyone know what's the best thing to do about ringing in sick? Should I text my manager, team leader or ring the store at this time and talk to the night shift manager?

Thanks

Ring and ask for the sickline number, then ring that.
Has anyone done first aider training? What's it like and how long does it take?
I had my interview yesterday. Went quite well but I just made a couple of stupid errors on the video test. I put instead of the girl being under 21 that she wasn't putting the glass bottle into a basket, causing a potential hazard. As I type this I realise it isn't too bad a mistake haha. Fingers crossssseeddddddddd
Reply 8383
Original post by mchoneybee
Has anyone done first aider training? What's it like and how long does it take?

It took me 2 days to do the training.

If your store isn't a massive one, there is a chance that you'll need to go to another store. For my training course there where people coming from Staines, which is a good 20 miles away from our store (And in a different region)

You have an "exam" at the end, but it is impossible to fail because they help you get the answer - or push you in the right direction.

I didn't think I would get called that often to first aid calls, but I am usually called to one at least once a week. My most recent being yesterday with a girl fitting in one of the aisles (Which is actually quite common).

When you deal with a fitting or collapsed customer/staff, you'll be annoyed at how people step over the patient to get to their products. I actually had to give a customer what for yesterday for doing it. My tip for dealing with situations like this is to get two colleagues and close the aisle off from both ends, or failing that tell them to get cages and physically block the aisle off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8384
Original post by Chamack77
I had my interview yesterday. Went quite well but I just made a couple of stupid errors on the video test. I put instead of the girl being under 21 that she wasn't putting the glass bottle into a basket, causing a potential hazard. As I type this I realise it isn't too bad a mistake haha. Fingers crossssseeddddddddd

Its think 25 nowadays ^_^
Reply 8385
Anyone else find it stupid that injuries picked up at work count towards an absense?

About 6 months ago a roller was pushed into my front tooth - it shattered and was bleeding (lovely :P). There was only 40 minutes left of my shift and i made sure someone could do my disposals before getting permission from the on-duty manager to go home.

Now, 6 months later, i have a return to work and get told i have to have a meeting that could lead to a disiplinary for 3 absenses. One for being really ill/depressed from the death of my granddad, one for just feeling like crap and, ofcourse, a whole absense for 40 minutes of a shift that i wasnt payed for and which didnt affect sainsburys in anyway as someone was there to cover it.

Now that the bonus is coming up, i have been told that having 3 absences/a disiplinary excludes you from a bonus. Is this right? Also, am i allowed to challenge the fact that i was given an absense on the tooth incident on feeling like crap after my granddad's death?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by triiden
Now that the bonus is coming up, i have been told that having 3 absences/a disiplinary excludes you from a bonus. Is this right? Also, am i allowed to challenge the fact that i was given an absense on the tooth incident on feeling like crap after my granddad's death?

I don't know if it's at the manager's discretion or what, but when I took a day off due to family death, it didn't count as absence.
When is next pay day? :smile:
Reply 8388
Original post by Alextheking
When is next pay day? :smile:

20th
Reply 8389
hate customers who use self scan then moan about place item in bagging area when they are still holding the item in their hand
Original post by triiden
Anyone else find it stupid that injuries picked up at work count towards an absense?

About 6 months ago a roller was pushed into my front tooth - it shattered and was bleeding (lovely :P). There was only 40 minutes left of my shift and i made sure someone could do my disposals before getting permission from the on-duty manager to go home.

Now, 6 months later, i have a return to work and get told i have to have a meeting that could lead to a disiplinary for 3 absenses. One for being really ill/depressed from the death of my granddad, one for just feeling like crap and, ofcourse, a whole absense for 40 minutes of a shift that i wasnt payed for and which didnt affect sainsburys in anyway as someone was there to cover it.

If you have already recieved a written warning or a final written warning in the post (following a hearing) then you don't get your bonus. If this is your first disciplinary hearing into absence you could potentially recieve a verbal warning (depending on the manager's discretion) but you will still recieve your bonus on a verbal warning. If you do recieve a verbal warning and you don't agree with the managers decision then you do have a right to appeal, they will tell you that in the meeting. In conclusion though, verbal warnings don't affect your bonus.
i think sburys policy on absence is ridiculous. i have had flu 4 times whilst working there, twice of which i didnt go in, and one absence was made up of two half shifts where i went home after 6/7 hours because i was really too poorly. i mean what do they expect us to do? go in with flu, infect everyone else etc? its wrong :confused:
Original post by inksplodge
i think sburys policy on absence is ridiculous. i have had flu 4 times whilst working there, twice of which i didnt go in, and one absence was made up of two half shifts where i went home after 6/7 hours because i was really too poorly. i mean what do they expect us to do? go in with flu, infect everyone else etc? its wrong :confused:

I agree with you, also their policy about being sick and having to wait 24 hours before going in again, so you call in sick following this policy yet they still tell you off but you're following their policy? You can't help getting sick especially with the amount of customers who cough over you. I've been there around 2 and a half years, and just after Christmas I was given a verbal warning for sickness because I had had 3 in the space of 2 months even though I had gone just under 2 years with no time off sick at all.
Original post by funkyfish08
I agree with you, also their policy about being sick and having to wait 24 hours before going in again, so you call in sick following this policy yet they still tell you off but you're following their policy? You can't help getting sick especially with the amount of customers who cough over you. I've been there around 2 and a half years, and just after Christmas I was given a verbal warning for sickness because I had had 3 in the space of 2 months even though I had gone just under 2 years with no time off sick at all.

yep, i had flu twice in 3 months and i had to have the day off, i was so poorly =/ night shifts are hard enough without having the flu as w ell
I kept getting paid for 3 months after leaving Sainsbury's and giving no notice. Awesome.
Original post by Jesseecar123
I kept getting paid for 3 months after leaving Sainsbury's and giving no notice. Awesome.

:confused: i would tell them, cos when they find out they'll claim it back.
:confused: i would tell them, cos when they find out they'll claim it back.

As if, it was like 3 years ago.

It wasn't that much money either, not like a full amount of wages but still lovely. Probably holiday pay and that...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jesseecar123
As if, it was like 3 years ago.

oh :tongue:
Original post by funkyfish08

To be honest though, every company has an absence policy in order to manage attendance. It has to be done somehow otherwise no-one would turn up for an early shift on New Year Day for example :wink: :tongue:.
Hey guys, I've got about 4 weeks of my probation left and was wondering if something like this could affect anything. It's my day off and about half an hour ago I got a phonecall from my manager asking if I could pop in today for a few hours, he did say it was on the off chance, now I would have gone in and helped out if I could but I honestly do have other arrangements for today. I just mentioned that to him saying that I had plans and he seemed fine with it and although I do have plans I do feel bad for not being able to go in and help out and I was also wondering if it would affect my probation period? Also it's not as if I just do the bare minimum of hours, I do a fair bit of overtime on Sundays, for the past two Sundays I've gone in and done overtime to help out, 12:30-8:30pm on the 1st May and 2-10pm on the Sunday just gone and I have probably worked about 4 or 5 Sundays now to help out. I guess I just feel bad that I couldn't go in to help out today because for him to ring me up asking like that it must have been bad but on the flip side it was very, very short notice.

Latest

Trending

Trending