The Student Room Group

Obama has secured re-election

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Yes.

Face it, the GOP's presidential chances are in complete tatters.

You know nothing about US politics if you think this - you're just one of those poor saps, i.e. someone who doesn't look at the facts but simply relies on media hyperbole, to form an opinion :rolleyes:

No doubt that people like Trump, Palin and even Bachman etc are somewhat off the political spectrum (or off their meds altogether some might argue), but if you think the likes of Romney/Huntsman/Pawlenty are "utter dip****s" then I'm arguing with a moron frankly.

The election shall come down to the economy - something that affects the entire American public. I believe the economy shall indeed recover and Obama shall secure reelection, but THAT IS FAR from a certainty and moreover, has nothing to do with the Republican candidates being put forward being "dip****s". For example, the likes of Romney was the first to introduce universal healthcare in MA (before Obama even had it on his schedule), and people like Huntsman are socially very liberal (believes in gay civil unions etc) but fiscally conservative - both candidates thus can quite easily tap into the independent vote, which is the group needed to win the election.

I suggest you brush up on US politics, as thus far, you can't fault the likes of Romney/Huntsman being so isolating to actually put-off the independents; at least not more so than say Obama.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by manchild007

x

Can't take you seriously with rep that low.

:yawn:
Can't take you seriously with rep that low.

LOL - just admit you can't come back b/c you're wrong and now you realise your own idiocy (in evaluating US politics yet not having the faintest clue about how it operates).

But hey, if finding a pathetic excuse such as not taking me seriously because of my rep (why then quote and reply to me in the first place if you can't take me seriously? LMAO) makes you feel better, go right ahead you pleb; I know where I stand :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

X

Talk to me when you have rep :hand:
Talk to me when you have rep :hand:

Aw, someone once again point out your stupidity?

Talk to me when you have even the faintest clue about US politics, instead of the pleb who knows nothing about it but still feels he has the right to question others knowledge :smile:
Don't care how he does it - Obama is good for America and the world could do with another 4 years of not having a Republican nut-job. Got a lot of time for this guy (Y)
Reply 106
You know nothing about US politics if you think this - you're just one of those poor saps, i.e. someone who doesn't look at the facts but simply relies on media hyperbole, to form an opinion :rolleyes:

No doubt that people like Trump, Palin and even Bachman etc are somewhat off the political spectrum (or off their meds altogether some might argue), but if you think the likes of Romney/Huntsman/Pawlenty are "utter dip****s" then I'm arguing with a moron frankly.

The election shall come down to the economy - something that affects the entire American public. I believe the economy shall indeed recover and Obama shall secure reelection, but THAT IS FAR from a certainty and moreover, has nothing to do with the Republican candidates being put forward being "dip****s". For example, the likes of Romney was the first to introduce universal healthcare in MA (before Obama even had it on his schedule), and people like Huntsman are socially very liberal (believes in gay civil unions etc) but fiscally conservative - both candidates thus can quite easily tap into the independent vote, which is the group needed to win the election.

I suggest you brush up on US politics, as thus far, you can't fault the likes of Romney/Huntsman being so isolating to actually put-off the independents; at least not more so than say Obama.

What do you think about Daniels? Looks like he may run and he seems to be someone who could appeal to independents e.g. calling for a truce on social issues and generally has a good record as governor of Indiana.
Original post by tw68
What do you think about Daniels? Looks like he may run and he seems to be someone who could appeal to independents e.g. calling for a truce on social issues and generally has a good record as governor of Indiana.

Whilst I don't myself like Daniels very much (he isn't my preferred GOP candidate lets just say), he has had a somewhat positive governorship of Indiana - not least being able to balance the states budget and also take on education.

The thing with Daniels is that whilst this truce on social issues is understandable, its temporary and voters/independents know this. The fiscal problems aren't something that shall last for very long in the country (i.e. the one thing that really needs to be done is to create a deficit plan and stick to it, where after the issue shall dissipate), and then you come back to those social issues which were put on truce, with Daniel's positions being really quite conservative - his stance on abortion (though personally I don't think the 20 weeks thing is a problem myself) and in particular, his support of the defense of marriage act shall, shall alienate many independents.

Also to some extent (and a problem which applies to even the likes of Huntsman), is that he has very little momentum/mass support behind them* - he himself has been openly reluctant to run as a candidate, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence in people who are looking to back someone.

*I realise he won two straw polls in Washington and Oregon, but that's hardly a mass/general voter trend to be fair.

X

Here you go you pleb - surprise surprise at there being ANOTHER GOP candidate who isn't loony or a "dip****". But hey, this would be too much for your little brain to handle, so its understandable why you were just a sap to the hyperbole on display.
(edited 12 years ago)

How are they going to brush up on US politics? When I'm in England, I have a really hard time finding out what the hell is going on in the US.

You can't really blame them for not knowing their asses from their elbows. I mean, I'm sure you've seen BBC's piss-poor coverage of US politics? Or the Guardian's? The only British news outlet with fair and accurate coverage seems to be the telegraph, but the scope of their coverage isn't comprehensive enough to "brush up on US politics".
I think that either Paul or Gary Johnson could beat Obama in a one-on-one fight, the issue here is trying to get the nomination for the GOP, of which many members are the aforementioned social authoritarian nutters - but which of couse many aren't. Ron Paul is particularly popular - and Johnson merely suffers form a lack of name recognition, we'll see - it could be interesting.

For the nomination, I think it'll be Pawlenty or Paul - I think Romneycare & the fact that Romney is a mormon will turn off many in the GOP.
Reply 110
Original post by jesusandtequila
I think that either Paul or Gary Johnson could beat Obama in a one-on-one fight, the issue here is trying to get the nomination for the GOP, of which many members are the aforementioned social authoritarian nutters - but which of couse many aren't. Ron Paul is particularly popular - and Johnson merely suffers form a lack of name recognition, we'll see - it could be interesting.

For the nomination, I think it'll be Pawlenty or Paul - I think Romneycare & the fact that Romney is a mormon will turn off many in the GOP.

Yeah, I agree with this. Romney has those few things that throw people off of him. Paul looks pretty good to me so far. He has had the same positions for pretty much ever, knows what it will take to fix the economy, wants to decrease foreign intervention, etc. I'm not sure about getting rid of the income tax altogether, but there's no way he would pull that off anyway.

I wouldn't outright say because romney is a moromon this will put off the republicans. He is a moderate and therefore may well be unpopular with the republican primary voters (extremists :tongue:) he certainly isn't conservative enough or rather too libertarian. However if he won he'd certainly give obama a run for his money. Will paul and indeed johnsons stance on drugs play well for them with the conservative crowd? Ron paul also has a lot of baggage, a lot of people regard him as too naive and somewhat loopy. Dont get me wrong he is a credible politician but johnson is simply paul without the baggage. Then again his lack of recognition may play against him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Made in the USA
How are they going to brush up on US politics? When I'm in England, I have a really hard time finding out what the hell is going on in the US.

You can't really blame them for not knowing their asses from their elbows. I mean, I'm sure you've seen BBC's piss-poor coverage of US politics? Or the Guardian's? The only British news outlet with fair and accurate coverage seems to be the telegraph, but the scope of their coverage isn't comprehensive enough to "brush up on US politics".

I know our government has made some cuts but you do realise that we still have internet access here in the UK? So it really isn't that hard to catch up on American politics.
Original post by Made in the USA

I'm based in the UK, but are you really asking me how one can brush up US politics in the age of the internet?

I agree that the US political coverage here in the UK is pitiful; the BBC articles almost make me want to cry b/c of there basic nature. But, keeping up with US politics is literally the simplest thing to do with the click of a button - I read newspapers like the NY Times/WaPo online regularly, read a few Political Blogs (both right and left) daily and then watch a few Political Shows everyday too (though these are mainly Stewart/Colbert/Maher who are of course very liberal, but they still inform of the situation in US politics).

No one is saying that you should know every GOP candidate which is running for nomination, nor say the 'results' of the political debates like the one held in SC recently, or the small things like Cain possibly announcing a run. You should however, know the basics and enough not to make an idiotic statement such as "all GOP candidates being dip****s" :rolleyes:

Original post by tw68
I know our government has made some cuts but you do realise that we still have internet access here in the UK? So it really isn't that hard to catch up on American politics.

Beat me to it :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think that either Paul or Gary Johnson could beat Obama in a one-on-one fight

LOL.

Gary Johnson has a shot at beating Obama? Unless the economy completely tanks and Obama is found out to be actually born in Kenya, there are about a handful of other GOP candidates which stand a better shot than someone like Johnson, not least b/c Johnson doesn't have the momentum behind him at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Johnson (though he's far from being my favourite), but his stance on cutting government spending to include huge cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security entitlements alone, shall cause enough of a rift in the GOP base - just look at the flip-flopping on Ryan's budget proposal at the moment. In some respects he is the original Tea Party candidate, in the very strictest definition (i.e. his stance on taxes and not the racist/loony fringe element that is often associated with the movement).

For me (in order of preference), I would prefer the GOP candidates to be; Huntsman, Romney and then perhaps Johnson. Heck if the likes of Huntsman or Romney are nominated, I'll actually vote Republican as with many other independents.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by thunder_chunky

Bachmann, Palin, Trump, and Huckabee. Seriously? That's the best you can do? Together they have the brain power of a turd.

So much lols and so much truth :P
Original post by grape:)
So much lols and so much truth :P

No, there isn't "so much truth" in that.

Huntsman, Romney, Pawlenty, Johnson etc are the best the GOP can do, and if you actually had a look at them you'd see that they are very smart, principled and sane human beings. But hey, its much easier and funnier to just consider Republicans as Tea Party racist/bigots/rednecks/loons now isn't it :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Gary Johnson has a shot at beating Obama? Unless the economy completely tanks and Obama is found out to be actually born in Kenya, there are about a handful of other GOP candidates which stand a better shot than someone like Johnson, not least b/c Johnson doesn't have the momentum behind him at the moment.

I'm not saying that Johnson has a great chance of being president, I'm saying that if he were to secure the nomination - he'd have the chance to take on Obama in a campaign, and name recognition would obviously increase, and in a general election he'd have a decent shot at beating Obama. CNN analysis of independent voters shows that they are generally fiscally conservative while socially liberal. They lean towards the Republicans on economic issues, while they're turned off by the Christian socially authoritarian stance. This is why Paul & Johnson would have a good chance. I could imagine either of them taking California, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Johnson (though he's far from being my favourite), but his stance on cutting government spending to include huge cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security entitlements alone, shall cause enough of a rift in the GOP base - just look at the flip-flopping on Ryan's budget proposal at the moment. In some respects he is the original Tea Party candidate, in the very strictest definition (i.e. his stance on taxes and not the racist/loony fringe element that is often associated with the movement).

Indeed, and the Tea Party splits virtually down the middle with regards social issues - what holds them together is fiscal issues, on which Johnson and Paul would have Tea Party support.
Reply 118
LOL.

For me (in order of preference), I would prefer the GOP candidates to be; Huntsman, Romney and then perhaps Johnson. Heck if the likes of Huntsman or Romney are nominated, I'll actually vote Republican as with many other independents.

Will be interesting to see how they get on in the primaries though. Can't see their Mormon credentials going down too well with the Evangelicals.
Original post by Singh993
Don't care how he does it - Obama is good for America and the world could do with another 4 years of not having a Republican nut-job. Got a lot of time for this guy (Y)

How has Obama's presidency made the world a better place? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending