The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Seen this? Makes it look all the more inviting to be honest.

It's probably better to see what's on offer in July rather than making an early decision now.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by avila
Seen this? Makes it look all the more inviting to be honest.

It's probably better to see what's on offer in July rather than making an early decision now.

Ranmoor studios look nice....:eek:
Reply 142
Original post by GuineaPrig
Ranmoor studios look nice....:eek:

Guess what I applied for. :x Now if only I could afford it without starving/begging my relatives for money... >_>
Reply 143
Really? I still don't like them that much. I would much prefer a city apartment. These Endcliffe and Ranmoor properties look too.....over the top. Bright colours and lighting hurt my eyes. I wanna a quiet normal place to live :frown:.
Original post by avila
Guess what I applied for. :x Now if only I could afford it without starving/begging my relatives for money... >_>

They're so spacious, you probably wouldn't be as prone to insanity locked up in a small room while doing an all-nighter in one of those. The bathroom looks ridiculously big though. :tongue:
Original post by Tommles
In order to be considered for a scholarship you need at least a 2:1 (I think that is just on the Japanese side of the course, not Spanish or History if you are doing a joint degree), the Japanese university decides who gets one, so I don't think getting one is guaranteed.

You need a 2:1 from the weighted average of all your modules. Also if the application deadline for your uni is early i.e. december then only your first year is taken into account. If your uni deadline is later i.e. april then your 2nd year 1st semester results count as well. Even if you get a 2:1 there is still less than 50% chance you will get the scholarship.
Reply 146
I really wanted Ranmoor because it's supposedly a slightly quieter Endcliff and it looks awesome, but I'd need money from my parents who don't want to fork out for the 'luxury' of an en-suite. City is quiet too, but from reading around here, the cheaper ones are too quiet. Dammit, wish Ranmoor had shared :frown:

I might just put it down anyway and say my first choice was 'rejected'. But then I'm scared that my dad would follow up on why and he'd find out it was my first choice. He's the kind of person who'd do that :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by GuineaPrig
They're so spacious, you probably wouldn't be as prone to insanity locked up in a small room while doing an all-nighter in one of those. The bathroom looks ridiculously big though. :tongue:

Yeah, all-nightering around in a tiny room is terrible; feels like a prison cell. Never again.

BTW if you slowly rotate the 3D view towards the door and zoom out, you'll find that the bathroom door looks like it's 5 meters wide:

So I guess it's probably much smaller than the website makes it look. :tongue:
Reply 148
Original post by Susant
I might just put it down anyway and say my first choice was 'rejected'. But then I'm scared that my dad would follow up on why and he'd find out it was my first choice. He's the kind of person who'd do that :teehee:

It's your application; not his. Surely they can't just tell him that sort of stuff without asking you first. :V
Reply 149
Original post by Mikeywarren89
yea but no one is joining it :frown:, come on you guys, you know you want to get to know the people you will be studying with for the next 4 years :tongue:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_163901023664195&ap=1

Aha, it's a bit late, but I've just sent an add request :tongue:
It's really strange putting faces to usernames :smile:
Reply 150
Original post by avila
Yeah, all-nightering around in a tiny room is terrible; feels like a prison cell. Never again.

BTW if you slowly rotate the 3D view towards the door and zoom out, you'll find that the bathroom door looks like it's 5 meters wide:

So I guess it's probably much smaller than the website makes it look. :tongue:

omg that is much better than the ones in SOAS :gah:
Reply 151
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
x.

Original post by Tommles
x

Hi, I have a question that would best be answered by current students, and you two are the most active/helpful on here :biggrin:

I was wondering if during the year abroad there are opportunities to do some sort of, well...internship probably isn't the right word, but something that will help me gain experience of how the Japanese business environment works? Do you know if anyone in the previous years has done something similar?
I'm hoping to apply for a Training Contract at an international law firm towards the end of the degree with a Tokyo office seat in mind, so having that sort of experience on my CV would be awesome :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Susant
Yo, I have a question that would best be answered by current students, and you two are the most active/helpful on here :biggrin:

I was wondering if during the year abroad there are opportunities to do some sort of, well...internship probably isn't the right word, but something that will help me gain experience of how the Japanese business environment works? Do you know if anyone in the previous years has done something similar?
I'm hoping to apply for a Training Contract at an international law firm towards the end of the degree with a Tokyo office seat in mind, so having that sort of experience on my CV would be awesome :smile:

To be honest, we have gotten told next to nothing on the year abroad so I don't know. When you get here the best person to ask would be Dr McAuley, hes the main guy behind the year out etc.
Reply 153
Hi guys, I'm thinking about applying for Japanese but I really don't know what to do to increase my chances of being accepted. I mean, I haven't got any GCSE or A-level knowledge but I'm really interested in this language that I tried to learn it myself but without a teacher being there for me, I find myself quite lost D:

I have already done my A-levels and my results weren't that great; BDDE + Pass in Welsh Baccalaureate (which accounts for 120 UCAS points). I have looked for courses that taught A-level here in Wales but unfortunately there are non. What do I do? I really want to study Japanese?

Also, from my understanding, it's only Sheffield, SOAS and Leeds that offer the T210 correct? or am I missing other universities? ><
Reply 154
Original post by Near

Look into T200. Manchester offers it.

Do you know kana already? If not, buy Let's Learn Hiragana and Let's Learn Katakana and invest the three to four weeks needed to master the syllabic alphabets of Japanese.

Get a book designed for beginners and self-study. Japanese for Busy People should do the trick and has enough to make you get comfortable with the basics of the language. Get the kana version and make sure it's the latest one, as it includes a CD with all the vocabulary and dialogs.

If you can demonstrate dedication and passion for learning Japanese in your PS, you should get in. I'd post mine here, but I don't think that's allowed.
Reply 155
Original post by avila
Look into T200. Manchester offers it.

Do you know kana already? If not, buy Let's Learn Hiragana and Let's Learn Katakana and invest the three to four weeks needed to master the syllabic alphabets of Japanese.

Get a book designed for beginners and self-study. Japanese for Busy People should do the trick and has enough to make you get comfortable with the basics of the language. Get the kana version and make sure it's the latest one, as it includes a CD with all the vocabulary and dialogs.

If you can demonstrate dedication and passion for learning Japanese in your PS, you should get in. I'd post mine here, but I don't think that's allowed.

Well I've took a Japanese course for beginners but I can't say I'm confident with my kana. Thank you for the book title, I will try to get it and start learning as soon as I can.

Oh how I would kill to see your PS <_<... I'm planning to use this year (while I apply) to dedicate myself to the Japanese language. I've been previously interested in taking this course but my parents forced me into science subjects so yeah. It's only now, after I dropped out of my previous course, that I have time to self-teach myself and show some proper dedication. If I don't get an offer, I will be very sad D':

By the way, what is the difference between T210 and T200?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions ;x
Reply 156
Original post by Near
Hi guys, I'm thinking about applying for Japanese but I really don't know what to do to increase my chances of being accepted. I mean, I haven't got any GCSE or A-level knowledge but I'm really interested in this language that I tried to learn it myself but without a teacher being there for me, I find myself quite lost D:

I have already done my A-levels and my results weren't that great; BDDE + Pass in Welsh Baccalaureate (which accounts for 120 UCAS points). I have looked for courses that taught A-level here in Wales but unfortunately there are non. What do I do? I really want to study Japanese?

Also, from my understanding, it's only Sheffield, SOAS and Leeds that offer the T210 correct? or am I missing other universities? ><

Tbh, having knowledge of the Japanese language beforehand isn't really a pre-requisite. My only language experience outside of English is a C in GCSE French and my own native tongue. Nor did I really talk much about langauge in my PS.

Conversely, I suppose you should take everything you can to push your argument forwards. But I suggest diversifying a bit into something like literature, history etc. Films, anime/manga should probably only recieve a passing reference.

Also, I had a look in your profile, and you listed an AB in A levels? The Sheffield site states that with a pass in the Welsh Bacc. you only need an AB, but you've listed different grades in this thread :s-smilie:

Also, Oxford Brookes, Cardiff, and UEA offers Japanese.

If you have any more questions just holler. I believe giving someone your PS isn't against the rules, only when they decide to plagiarise it. And even then, the person who did the plagiarising is the one who gets into trouble. If you promise not to, I'll let you have mine :tongue:
Reply 157
Original post by Near
By the way, what is the difference between T210 and T200?

/showthread.php?t=1217434 might help :V

Original post by Susant
having knowledge of the Japanese language beforehand isn't really a pre-requisite.

I believe giving someone your PS isn't against the rules

It's not a pre-req but won't be held against you either. I dunno, at least for me, it helped get a rough idea of what I was going to offer four years of my life for before jumping into it. :]

Yeah diversifying is good. I threw in a few sentences about a recent trip to Kyoto as well. I'd avoid rambling about any one point for too long though.

Submitting to the TSR PS library says you need to wait until you're at uni to do it. I was going by that. Anyway, you're probably right and I'm being paranoid for no real reason.

@Near, if you want mine and you promise not to copy it, I can PM it to you. Might not be too helpful though since I'm a "mature" student (I'm only 22 ;-:wink: from outside the UK. :x
Also use the TSR PS Helper service. Helped me fine-tune my final PS draft a bit further.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by Susant
Tbh, having knowledge of the Japanese language beforehand isn't really a pre-requisite. My only language experience outside of English is a C in GCSE French and my own native tongue. Nor did I really talk much about langauge in my PS.

Conversely, I suppose you should take everything you can to push your argument forwards. But I suggest diversifying a bit into something like literature, history etc. Films, anime/manga should probably only recieve a passing reference.

Also, I had a look in your profile, and you listed an AB in A levels? The Sheffield site states that with a pass in the Welsh Bacc. you only need an AB, but you've listed different grades in this thread :s-smilie:

Also, Oxford Brookes, Cardiff, and UEA offers Japanese.

If you have any more questions just holler. I believe giving someone your PS isn't against the rules, only when they decide to plagiarise it. And even then, the person who did the plagiarising is the one who gets into trouble. If you promise not to, I'll let you have mine :tongue:

Ah, that A was supposed to be the Welsh Bacc as it's equivalent to 120 tarrif points. Do you think I should use this year that I have to do an extra A-level subject? I really don't know what subject to do though... By the way, the B that I got in A-level was in my mother tongue, if that helps at all :teehee:

Unfortunately, Cardiff does not teach Japanese on it's own. It will always be linked with another language eg. Japanese and German etc. or Business. I want to dedicate the whole 4 years to the actual language itself.

Also, I'm not the type of person to copy from people so you won't have to worry about me plagiarizing your PS. I just want an example to look at to see roughly which way my PS should be headed :redface:

Original post by avila
/showthread.php?t=1217434 might help :V

It's not a pre-req but won't be held against you either. I dunno, at least for me, it helped get a rough idea of what I was going to offer four years of my life for before jumping into it. :]

Yeah diversifying is good. I threw in a few sentences about a recent trip to Kyoto as well. I'd avoid rambling about any one point for too long though.

Submitting to the TSR PS library says you need to wait until you're at uni to do it. I was going by that. Anyway, you're probably right and I'm being paranoid for no real reason.

@Near, if you want mine and you promise not to copy it, I can PM it to you. Might not be too helpful though since I'm a &quot;mature&quot; student (I'm only 22 ;-; ) from outside the UK. :x
Also use the TSR PS Helper service. Helped me fine-tune my final PS draft a bit further.

T210 looks like the course I would enjoy the most as it's intensive (bring it on! >;D) and it has a year abroad... although money could be a problem there as I hear you need to show a statement that you have at least £7000 to be able to fund yourself... or something like that.

I would also love to have a look at your personal statement. Again, I'm not the copycat type so you wouldn't have to worry about that! :smile: Oh and don't worry, I will be 21 by the time I finish applying so I'll be classed as a mature student too. Mature students are cool! We enter universities like bosses :colone:
Reply 159
Original post by Near
Ah, that A was supposed to be the Welsh Bacc as it's equivalent to 120 tarrif points. Do you think I should use this year that I have to do an extra A-level subject? I really don't know what subject to do though... By the way, the B that I got in A-level was in my mother tongue, if that helps at all :teehee:

Also, I'm not the type of person to copy from people so you won't have to worry about me plagiarizing your PS. I just want an example to look at to see roughly which way my PS should be headed :redface:

I'd definitely recommend retaking to achieve the required grades. In your personal statement, you can gush about how you did it so you could meet the requirements to be one with your beloved Japanese course (I kid, I kid :teehee:)

I'm sure you wouldn't. I was just teasing you :tongue: PM sent.

Original post by avila

That's true :biggrin:

I was mainly addressing the fact that a lot of people who ask around about entry requirements seem to feel that they're at a huge disadvantage if they don't do Japanese beforehand. I sent mine off not expecting much, but I ended up getting my offers.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending