The Student Room Group

Pre-Application Medicine Applicants 2012 Profiles-Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thegodofgod
You'd have to get lower GCSE grades than applicants, who for example went to an awesome state school or a private school as they would have had a "better education" - so they cards are in your hands (so to speak) in terms of GCSE grade requirements.

If you go to the same / similar kind of school for A levels, you'd probably have to get something like ABB to get a place, as opposed to the normal AAA. :rolleyes:

Oh okay :biggrin: , thanks for explaining that :smile:
Original post by a1994
I can't really comment on your grades, but your experience seems good so far :smile:

Haha, thanks :smile: Just wish I'd find more work experience shadowing in a hospital!
Ooo.. yay!! :smile:

Year of Entry: 2012

GCSEs: 9A*s 3As

AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics

AS Module Grades: Jan 2011 - AAAA

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 week in a minor injuries unit
1 week at a deaf charity
2 hours a week for a year at a nursery
2 hours a week for 6 months at a communtiy lunch
Maybes: to volunteer at a local hospital; work exp. at another hospital; work exp. at a gp; to volunteer at an old people's home

Extra Curricular:
Working towards grade 6 singing
Grade 5 music theory (only because I have to...:mad:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by sumsum123
Oh okay, nice choices :smile: im thinking of Leicester and keele so far. :biggrin:

Aw cool :smile: I was thinking of applying to Leicester before, but I think I'll stick to staying down here :wink:
Reply 64
Original post by rsp
I know hobby thing so annoying - basically because i am lazy. Ye booked Ukcat for 11th of August. Looked at some practice ones can believe how little time you get :frown:. HOw are you going to prepare ? Ye i looked at UEA but they only let u do one module resit over all (haven't done any yet but might have to next year and dont want to risk it )

I think ill just use the UKCAT book and that...will definately have to work on the time contraints really, thats the biggest problem tbh.
well i'm already doing one so thats me screwed :') some of the Uni's aren't clear about their resits at all...some say that you can resit at AS but not at A2, and some mean you can do year 13 when they say no resits (i had emailed and asked a few) so its rather strange...
Reply 65

GCSEs: 8A*'s 2A's

AS Subjects: Chemistry Maths Biology Psychology

AS Module Grades: We didn't do modules

A2 Prediction/Results: Find out in September

-Midwifery Pre-natal clinic
-Babyclinic for routine checkups
-Hospital Rehabilitation unit this summer
-Charity shop work, also this summer
-Working at a nursery (this was before I chose medicine)
-In a Mum's and Tots Group (^)

Extra Curricular:
-Dancing, mainly ballet since I was 3
-Senior Prefect at school
-Teaching dance to children up to age 9
-St John Ambulance First Aid course
-Mentoring a Year 7 pupil
-Played the flute for 5 years
-BTEC in Dance and Performing arts out of school
-Maths and Science awards

I will also mention living abroad for a few years - shows I can get on with a diverse range of people etc.

There's more but I have to go now. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
GCSEs: 5A*'s 5A's
AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish
AS Module Grades: Jan 11: A A A A (A General Studies)
A2 Prediction/Results: No idea!
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week hospital work experience (Endoscopy, A&E, ENT, Fracture Clinic, Ward Round, Radiology and Surgery)
1 week of more hospital work experience planned for the summer holidays.
2 weeks working with the council in the parks, but i'm not sure 2 weeks of weeding is that relevant!
Hospital COTE ward volunteering every Saturday morning since September
Red Cross shop volunteering every Saturday afternoon (only started about a month ago) - will be hopefully starting First Aid with them in the next few weeks and helped at an event for Red Cross week and hopefully NVQ Customer Service
Hope to do Open University short course entitled "Molecules, medicines and drugs: a chemical story"
Extra Curricular:
Saxophone - Grade 8
Piano - Grade 6
Wind band, Jazz ensemble, Saxophone ensemble, Choir, Exam accompanying (most of them aren't ongoing though anymore but did them for 5 years!)
Been to observe a governors meeting at the local hospital (and hopefully going to go to the youth council)
Language Committee
Biology club (it hasn't really got a proper name)
Rowing (as leisure club option at college)
New Scientist and ChemNet
"Do you want to be a Doctor" day - similar to things like Medlink i suppose
DNA workshop
Newspaper Round
Spanish award and Music awards
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Hi *new member alert* :eek:
Everyone on this thread seems to have the relevant experience and grades, but where are you all hoping to apply??
Original post by cuckoo~
Everyone on this thread seems to have the relevant experience and grades, but where are you all hoping to apply??

Probably this October, for 2012 entry :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by cuckoo~

It depends really on my UKCAT, but I'm thinking:

Newcastle
Birmingham
Sheffield
Nottingham

You?
Original post by mike2niner4
GCSEs: 5A*'s 5A's
AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Spanish
AS Module Grades: Jan 11: A A A A (A General Studies)
A2 Prediction/Results: No idea!
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week hospital work experience (Endoscopy, A&E, ENT, Fracture Clinic, Ward Round, Radiology and Surgery)
1 week of more hospital work experience planned for the summer holidays.
2 weeks working with the council in the parks, but i'm not sure 2 weeks of weeding is that relevant!
Hospital COTE ward volunteering every Saturday morning since September
Red Cross shop volunteering every Saturday afternoon (only started about a month ago) - will be hopefully starting First Aid with them in the next few weeks and helped at an event for Red Cross week and hopefully NVQ Customer Service
Hope to do Open University short course entitled "Molecules, medicines and drugs: a chemical story"
Extra Curricular:
Saxophone - Grade 8
Piano - Grade 6
Wind band, Jazz ensemble, Saxophone ensemble, Choir, Exam accompanying (most of them aren't ongoing though anymore but did them for 5 years!)
Been to observe a governors meeting at the local hospital (and hopefully going to go to the youth council)
Language Committee
Biology club (it hasn't really got a proper name)
Rowing (as leisure club option at college)
New Scientist and ChemNet
"Do you want to be a Doctor" day - similar to things like Medlink i suppose
DNA workshop
Newspaper Round
Spanish award and Music awards

Molecules medicines and drugs was the easiest thing in the world. It's an open book exam :biggrin: I wouldn't waste your time with it unless you had to.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Molecules medicines and drugs was the easiest thing in the world. It's an open book exam :biggrin: I wouldn't waste your time with it unless you had to.

I want to either do that or the EPQ, which would you recommend?
Reply 72

GCSEs: 9A*s, 2As, B, C and D (in PE - had a back problem so missed most of it >_<)

AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Graphic Communication, Maths, Physics and General Studies (for what it's worth -_-)

Jan '11 Grades : Maths - A, Physics - A, Chemistry - A, Biology - A, Graphics - A in coursework and we're not doing General Studies until next year :confused:

A2 Prediction/Results: N/A

Got some lined up shadowing a consultant surgeon (Y)
A week in a Graphics studio (sort of relevant for teamwork etc.) ;D
4 Years as a "Student Leader" (prefect) at our school. Senior leader in the last year - organised several charity events etc. showed people from other countries around. (Not sure if this counts as volunteering or extra curricular)

Hoping to get some more work experience/volunteering obviously! I've asked at St John's, for a museum, filled in one for a hospital and am planning to ask around local clinics etc. :smile:

Extra Curricular:

3 day/2 night Medical Aspirations course at the UEA
Surgical Seminars at college, e.g. suturing from UEA people and medical ethics from a local doctor.
Youngest member of the local art society :colondollar: (Average age is at least 248 :wink:) Exhibited artwork :biggrin:
Did karate for a while (probably won't mention that)
Spent fair amounts of time in hospitals with various things
Ran/programmed virtual pet website but sold it last week :tongue: had over 2000 members.
Play badminton in the summer?
Care/breed chickens :rolleyes:

:eek: Not much time left, scary stuff!

edit: Hoping to apply to the UEA (1st choice), Leicester and I haven't decided the others D:

Yes I'm dropping graphics for A2 :tongue: I wasn't entirely sure of medicine when I picked it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by cuckoo~

Hopefully Leicester and Keele. My other options depend on how I well I do in the UKCAT exam. And yourself? :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Joseppea

Ran/programmed virtual pet website but sold it last week :tongue: had over 2000 members.

Wow that's certainly different! :tongue: What site was it?
Original post by mike2niner4
I want to either do that or the EPQ, which would you recommend?

The EPQ. Tbh neither will make that much difference to your application, not if you get the grades. But my friend did the OU thing last year and said it was a bit too easy.

GCSEs: 2 A*s 1A 6B 1 C (Mit Circ)

AS Subjects: Biology,Chemistry, Psych and ICT

AS Grades: AAAB (B will be an A now I Re-sat the biol prac)

A2 Prediction/Results: AAAA (Can get two A* if i really go for it with Chem and ICT)

Week hospital
2 years St Johns
11weeks old peoples home
Founding member of a constituted organisation to help young people in my area and current Youth Liason Officer of this organisation year and a half
Assistant voulenteer climbing instructor working with young children 2 years
Two years helping at an after school club for children with various difficulties at my old school

Extra Curricular:
Grade 5 in two instruments play a few others too but not graded as mostly self taught
Captain of school and club rugby teams Only school after the accident
Duplicate bridge possibility of training for the welsh youth team if they get back to me
Climbing
The other usuals

Also applying for a job as a HCA over the next year
Got 4 rejections from medschools due to GCSE's or UKCAT (peninsula)

UKCAT 2010: 617.5
subsets:
Verbal : 550
Quantitive: 630
Abstract: 560
Decision analysis: 730

Applied Sotton, PMS, BSMS and Leeds
Will be re-applying to Leeds, PMS, Cardiff and Aberdeen

Cardiff have said they'd overlook my GCSE's due to my arm thingy
PMS told me they'd give me an interview if i got my A level grades regardless of my UKCAT score
Reply 77
Original post by rsp
Hey, Cardiff area :smile: . have you done your training for EFA. ? I havent done it yet doing it juneish

Awesome :biggrin: Yepp, did it last year :smile: Do you know CJ (Chris Jefferies) He's at cardiff doing med, used to be in Surrey :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Hennnaa
Awesome :biggrin: Yepp, did it last year :smile: Do you know CJ (Chris Jefferies) He's at cardiff doing med, used to be in Surrey :smile:

ye :smile: ....... 90% sure :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by rsp
ye :smile: ....... 90% sure :smile:

haha, tell him I said hi :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest