The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters - F335 Exam - 15 June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Does anyone have the F335 January 2011 exam paper? Thanks :smile:
Reply 21
I got an A for F334 and was told that this exam is harder contrary to what people seem to saying here which is good. It's supposedly harder due to questions being much more focused on applying your knowledge rather than recalling, but i'll know more when I've done more papers; i've just done the specimen and it was pretty hard because I havn't gone through the revision guide or anything yet, but to be honest that's because I find doing past papers and using the mark schemes a more direct way of learning the material.

I will agree with others after doing this first paper that it seems a lot more synoptic than F334 which I suppose is a good thing :P

I'm retaking F331 in june as well just to try and get a bit more security :P
Reply 22
Original post by uEn
I got an A for F334 and was told that this exam is harder contrary to what people seem to saying here which is good. It's supposedly harder due to questions being much more focused on applying your knowledge rather than recalling, but i'll know more when I've done more papers; i've just done the specimen and it was pretty hard because I havn't gone through the revision guide or anything yet, but to be honest that's because I find doing past papers and using the mark schemes a more direct way of learning the material.

I will agree with others after doing this first paper that it seems a lot more synoptic than F334 which I suppose is a good thing :P

I'm retaking F331 in june as well just to try and get a bit more security :P

I've looked at the specimin, admitadely I couldnt do all the questions because we've not as of yet finished learning everything, however most of it looked fairly straight forward, I mean there were a few questions where I wasn't sure where I'd get full marks from, but other than that it looked okay, partly because there were a lot of easy marks (synoptic).
Reply 23
I'm pretty scared about this exam. I need to learn all the stuff. Would 6 weeks be enough to get from a D/C to an A/A*? I think I left it too late.
Reply 24
Original post by jam277
I'm pretty scared about this exam. I need to learn all the stuff. Would 6 weeks be enough to get from a D/C to an A/A*? I think I left it too late.

I'd say a week of solid revision is enough to learn everything.
Reply 25
Original post by limetang

I'd say a week of solid revision is enough to learn everything.

Ok. Including other subjects? Or straight revision for a week?
Reply 26
Original post by jam277
Ok. Including other subjects? Or straight revision for a week?

Depends how many other subjects you have
Reply 27

Depends how many other subjects you have

got 4 exams in the first half of exams, completely ready for 1, nearly ready for another, and the rest i'm planning on scraping an A which i usually do.
I think I'm overeacting, now i've started test papers it doesn't seem as bad anymore.
Reply 28
yeah, it's all about doing past papers to get familiar with the material and how you're supposed to answer.

what have people been finding the most difficult about the f335 content?
Reply 29

Original post by uEn
yeah, it's all about doing past papers to get familiar with the material and how you're supposed to answer.

what have people been finding the most difficult about the f335 content?

Chromophores, the long questions, and gas liquid chromatography.
Reply 30
Help with this question

Addition of a small amount of ammonia solution to [Cu(H20)6]2+ solution forms a pale blue precipitate. Write an ionic equation for this precipitation reaction.

The mark scheme says
Cu2+ + 2OH- -> Cu(OH)2

but i dont understand where the OH- comes from

sorry if the equations are confusing, I dont know how to do subscript and superscript and all that stuff.
thanks
(its f334 btw but this thread seems more alive than the f334 one :wink: )
Reply 31
Does anyone here have the Jan 11 paper for this exam?
Reply 32
Subscribing! :biggrin:
So far, I'm finding entropy a tad difficult to grasp, but hopefully with past papers and revision I'll get my head around it.
Reply 33
How much of F335 (the exam) is synoptic and how much is new stuff? I mean is it a 50:50 split or what?

Seems like most of it is synoptic - its good with being on Salters that there isn't really that much new stuff. Most of it does seem to just be slightly harder forms of stuff we've seen before. Apart from really obvious new bits like entropy calculations.

Original post by tkoki1993
Help with this question

Addition of a small amount of ammonia solution to [Cu(H20)6]2+ solution forms a pale blue precipitate. Write an ionic equation for this precipitation reaction.

The mark scheme says
Cu2+ + 2OH- -> Cu(OH)2

but i dont understand where the OH- comes from

sorry if the equations are confusing, I dont know how to do subscript and superscript and all that stuff.
thanks
(its f334 btw but this thread seems more alive than the f334 one :wink: )

If I remember correctly, its because in ammonia SOLUTION, you have NH3 and H2O. Because the ammonia is a base, it will accept a H+ from the water, so leaving you with OH-.
Reply 34
Original post by twelve

If I remember correctly, its because in ammonia SOLUTION, you have NH3 and H2O. Because the ammonia is a base, it will accept a H+ from the water, so leaving you with OH-.

Yeah, that's right. Ammonia solution (Ammonium Hydroxide) has NH4+ and OH- ions in equilibrium:

NH3 + H2O <--> NH4+ + OH?

(Sadly, TSR doesn't have an equilibrium symbol, so I went with a dodgy arrow)

Edit: That should be a '-' not a '?'... :|
Reply 35
ALSO, I found a good site which has past papers for the whole of A level Chem.
http://www.docbrown.info/page19/saltersASchemistry.htm#PAST
anyone have the january 2011 answers for f335?
Original post by Trixy.Sam

Original post by Trixy.Sam
anyone have the january 2011 answers for f335?

i second this :frown:!
Reply 38
Here's the paper and the mark scheme

enjoy :smile:

F335Jan11.pdf

MS_F335_Jan11.pdf
[QUOTE="dan1993;31607236"]
Original post by dan1993
Here's the paper and the mark scheme

enjoy :smile:

i could marry you for this, i'm chuffed that the paper's finally here!
thankyou :smile:! :kitty: xoxoxoxoxoxo
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest