The Student Room Group

Nail Varnishes. OPI/alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clo-clo1
I think Nails Inc depends on the nail, Barry M chips off in like an hour for me whilst Nails Inc will last a week at the shortest.
I have 35 bottles of Nails Inc and every single one is great on me but then loads of people say it's rubbish and chips. I don't think nail salons are allowed to use their stuff though because they have their own salons

I'm with you on this. I LOVE Nails Inc polishes and find they last longer than other brands. They're pretty pricey if you buy just one bottle, but the Nails Inc website always has good offers on sets as does QVC. When you buy a set, it normally works out around £6 a bottle which is about what you'd pay for some high street brands.
Reply 61
Original post by jellybeanjen
I'm with you on this. I LOVE Nails Inc polishes and find they last longer than other brands. They're pretty pricey if you buy just one bottle, but the Nails Inc website always has good offers on sets as does QVC. When you buy a set, it normally works out around £6 a bottle which is about what you'd pay for some high street brands.

QVC is the reason I have 35 bottles! TK Maxx usually has some sets in too- yay for Nails Inc. Getting my Nails Inc manicure when I go home

I loathe Barry M, maybe it's just me but they are not even worth £2.95 or whatever they are
Reply 62
Original post by clo-clo1
I think Nails Inc depends on the nail, Barry M chips off in like an hour for me whilst Nails Inc will last a week at the shortest.
I have 35 bottles of Nails Inc and every single one is great on me but then loads of people say it's rubbish and chips. I don't think nail salons are allowed to use their stuff though because they have their own salons

fair play. I'm pleased the cheap stuff works better on me!
Got me self some 'China Glaze' polish from LA - arrived this morning, absolutely love it. Will be doing a blog post on it.
Best nail polish I use now is Boots Natural Collection. Even after spending up to 4 times the price, I've gone back to them because they seem to have the nicest colours and pretty good staying power. Ok, it won't last a week, but with 2 layers and a topcoat I usually get at least 4 days. And the good thing is you can buy 3 for £5 :smile:
Reply 65
OPI is fantastic I have access to a Sally trade card so I get them for under £5! However if you're after good high street brands, Barry M is very reasonable and of a good quality, and the Andrea Fulerton range at Superdrug have some gorgeous top coats. I've heard very good things about Model's Own nail lacquer as well but I've yet to try it. My local salon uses a lot of China Glaze alongside all the OPI, which I believe is a little bit cheaper but with quite a comprehensive range of shades.

I'd say perhaps invest in OPI's staple colours (black, red, nude, or whatever you know you'll get a lot of wear out of) and then go to Barry M for fashion shades like coral, dark green, and of course their Instant Nail Effects, which is a dupe of OPI's Black Shatter and really great quality for the money. It's also worthwhile buying a good, hard-wearing topcoat from Sally as it will prolong the life of your polish.
(edited 12 years ago)
This might interest some of you . . . :smile:
Original post by DancinBallerina
This might interest some of you . . . :smile:

Sweet of you :smile: Have entered. I had a blog giveaway the other day, should have occurred to me to post it here!
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Sweet of you :smile: Have entered. I had a blog giveaway the other day, should have occurred to me to post it here!

:smile: Thanks for entering :smile: I realised yesterday when I got home ''What on earth am I doing with 9 nail polishes of the same shade?'' :ninjagirl: lol. So I thought I'd give them away to bloggers :smile:
:smile: Thanks for entering :smile: I realised yesterday when I got home ''What on earth am I doing with 9 nail polishes of the same shade?'' :ninjagirl: lol. So I thought I'd give them away to bloggers :smile:

Yeah - I realised that I kept buying dupes of the same colour! So I gave a few of the dupes away. Proactive stash management :wink: I see you've discovered china glaze - I wish you luck in not buying millions. It's the main cause of my overflowing stash. Sigh. But I do wear it all!
Yeah - I realised that I kept buying dupes of the same colour! So I gave a few of the dupes away. Proactive stash management :wink: I see you've discovered china glaze - I wish you luck in not buying millions. It's the main cause of my overflowing stash. Sigh. But I do wear it all!

I thought I was an OPI lady, but after getting China Glaze from the seller I mentioned in my blog, I am addicted! Already got a list brewing of the colours I want lol. :ninjagirl:

Can see my wages coming and going v quickly each month! lol
Barry M are awesome and they're only £2.99 :smile:
I thought I was an OPI lady, but after getting China Glaze from the seller I mentioned in my blog, I am addicted! Already got a list brewing of the colours I want lol. :ninjagirl:

Can see my wages coming and going v quickly each month! lol

Quick 'n' dirty CG top ten: gussied up green, 2030, frostbite, coconut kiss, any of the holos, secret peri-wink-le, emerald sparkle, white cap, ruby pumps, custom kicks, ingrid...Hell, OK, loads!
Quick 'n' dirty CG top ten: gussied up green, 2030, frostbite, coconut kiss, any of the holos, secret peri-wink-le, emerald sparkle, white cap, ruby pumps, custom kicks, ingrid...Hell, OK, loads!

Haha fabulous, thank you. You clearly are encouraging my bank sees no money! lol Thank you will defo be looking into those. If I purchase any, will put a link onto my blog that you were the one who told me about them all. :smile:
Haha fabulous, thank you. You clearly are encouraging my bank sees no money! lol Thank you will defo be looking into those. If I purchase any, will put a link onto my blog that you were the one who told me about them all. :smile:

Hehe no need! The glass fleck ones are lovely too (strawberry fields, watermelon rind) and the crackles are good fun. I may have too many.

Quick Reply

Latest