The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Coventry - accommodation application

I have recently accepted Coventry as my firm choice after receiving a conditional offer. I have just applied for accommodation and was surprised to find that you don't actually chose a property but just select catered or un-catered, single or ensuite etc. and then they offer you accommodation once you get your grades.

Has anyone else applied for accommodation and find this surprising or have I done something drastically wrong? I just find it very odd that they tell you to check out all of the accommodation thoroughly, but then you can't actually chose the place that you want to go to. A bit confused here so any help would be appreciated! :s-smilie::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i haven't gone through the university with mine, have you looked at UNITE at all?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
thanks for replying! I emailed the university to ask them to add some preferences as a side note alongside the application. 2 of my 3 preferences were UNITE anyway so I could end up there in the end! So I think problems are solved for now :smile: thanks again
Reply 3
Priory Hall!! Looks terrible from pictures but from living there a year I can say that I feel I have had the best experience, the security guards are quite tough sometimes but it is an awesome place to live.
Reply 4
yeah UNITE is nice, paradise place is decent but callace court is apparantly on some grubby council estate and its pretty rough so i'd avoid there if i were you haha
Reply 5
Original post by leahrascal
yeah UNITE is nice, paradise place is decent but callace court is apparantly on some grubby council estate and its pretty rough so i'd avoid there if i were you haha

Callice Court is most certainly not on a 'grubby council estate'.....

You should be able to choose your property, I chose (though that was four years ago :p:). Call up if you have problems. I even got to choose my room 'cause I booked early :cool:
Reply 6
thats what i was told by someone who lives there but okay each to their own and all that :smile:
Reply 7
I thought it was weird too, but I because there aren't that many options I managed to choose the options so it was the two places I wanted, if that makes sense. Can't wait to go now :smile:
Reply 8
To be honest, UNITE are rubbish, all they want is your money (over priced rooms that don't actually look anything like the pictures!)...they don't care about you or your belongings...that's my opinion anyway
Reply 9
UNITE are good for some things and bad for others. My sister lived in UNITE (Sheffield, not Coventry) and I lived in university-ran housing and our experiences were very different.
Reply 10
the pics i saw were the spit of the rooms i was shown char :s-smilie: dunno which halls you've seen lol
Reply 11
the pics i saw were the spit of the rooms i was shown char :s-smilie: dunno which halls you've seen lol

Sherbourne House....the room was grubby, mold on the walls, rips in the seats, the bed frame was broken, the bathroom was horrendous...the list is endless....i was lucky to get my deposit back after they claimed I did all that stuff (even though I filled in a form with all the faults on it at the beginning of the year!)...UNITE were rubbish while I stayed there, they didn't response to maintenance calls - they needed chasing up every day!
The bedroom and kitchen inspections were so biased it was unbelievable! Not to put anyone off, but it was awful, they were awful, the only thing good about the whole year was the people that made it bearable! It was overpriced for what they gave us.
Reply 12
thats what i was told by someone who lives there but okay each to their own and all that :smile:

To be fair Leah, the entire centre of Coventry is a dirty, grubby council estate.

To the original poster: just accept what you get, grit your teeth and get your degree, then get the hell out of Coventry. I think myself lucky that i'm finally one more year away from graduation. Never have I seen such a degenerate cesspit of a town.

Anywho, you won't find nice accomodation unless living quite far out of the centre so just grin and bear it. I had a damp ridden mould cave for my second year that was nice at first glance until the winter weather hit. Thankfully my landlord didn't protect our deposit so I blackmailed him into letting us out of the contract.
Reply 13
Original post by AsystoleUK

To the original poster: just accept what you get, grit your teeth and get your degree, then get the hell out of Coventry. I think myself lucky that i'm finally one more year away from graduation. Never have I seen such a degenerate cesspit of a town.

Do you just moan about everything?! I haven't heard you say one nice thing about anything yet. If you hate it that much, you should've just transferred

On another note, to the OP, there's a little box on the application that's for additional comments. Apparently you can put your preference in there...I didn't know that either but I just emailed them and asked for it to be added and they did it straight away :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ace1391
Do you just moan about everything?! I haven't heard you say one nice thing about anything yet. If you hate it that much, you should've just transferred

On another note, to the OP, there's a little box on the application that's for additional comments. Apparently you can put your preference in there...I didn't know that either but I just emailed them and asked for it to be added and they did it straight away :smile:

I've said nice things, there's just nothing nice to say about Coventry.
Reply 15
I've said nice things, there's just nothing nice to say about Coventry.

Then why did you choose it? There's no need to put other people off because of your personal experience.
Reply 16
Original post by Dekota-XS
Then why did you choose it? There's no need to put other people off because of your personal experience.

Because it's not obvious until you're living there unfortunately. One days visitation can't expose the daily approach from the cider carrying tramp who wants an odd amount of money. It can't expose the guy who takes and eats things from a series of dustbins and has miraculously synchronised his walk around town with your walk to University. Every single property we viewed has been more disgusting and mouldy than the last.

All of my friends at University, all of my girlfriends friends at University: they all think exactly the same thing. The only people who don't seem to realise what a horrible place it is are the people who are native to that area, and I don't just mean the tramps that inhabit the city but the normal students at University too. Even they're blinded by not knowing any better.

Unfortunately you'll just think i'm trolling, but some of the people applying to the Uni now are going to have to see for themselves, and put up with the same thing when it's too late. Oh and I would've transferred but my degree didn't correlate closely enough with the other Universities that I would've considered going to instead.
Reply 17
Because it's not obvious until you're living there unfortunately. One days visitation can't expose the daily approach from the cider carrying tramp who wants an odd amount of money. It can't expose the guy who takes and eats things from a series of dustbins and has miraculously synchronised his walk around town with your walk to University. Every single property we viewed has been more disgusting and mouldy than the last.

surely that's the same in most cities though, and for the price you pay as a student, you can't expect 5* accommodations. that's what being a student is about - starting at the bottom and working your a** off to make life better for yourself. once you've been at the bottom of the s*** pile, you're reminded of why you go to work each day and appreciate what you do have. At least you have a roof over your head. There are thousands that don't
Reply 18
Original post by Ace1391
At least you have a roof over your head. There are thousands that don't

Yeah. And they all live on the streets of Coventry :awesome:
I'd just like to say, I'm not native to Coventry, but I loved being here for my undergrad and am still here for my postgrad. I intend to stay here for a few years afterwards as well - my boyfriend apparently 'needs' to go down south for his job.

It's not the best city in England, but it's not a bad place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending