The Student Room Group

My school wont let me get an A* What can I do!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessica_T
No university in the world will specify A* at GCSE in a certain/any subject for you to be allowed to go to said university.

Some require an A though, and the OP only has a B.
Reply 41
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Some require an A though, and the OP only has a B.

OP has a B in 1 module, As in others, averaging out at an A overall. The B module just stops them getting an A*.

If medicine requires you to have some A* grades, just get them in some of your other subjects. It's comparatively easy to do at GCSE.

If you have to work your ass off for your GCSEs, and still can't get a few A*s, then it's unlikely you'll be able to get the A level grades you'll need for medicine or Oxbridge.

And if you are doing anything else, nobody will care what GCSEs you got :smile:.

Maybe it's different at your school, but gifted and talented in mine meant very little. I didn't even realise I was in G&T for about a year, until a teacher mentioned it in a meeting about predicted A level grades.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
No university in the world will specify A* at GCSE in a certain/any subject for you to be allowed to go to said university.

Yes they will for medicine - Birmingham Uni won't offer interview unless 8-9A* at GCSE
Oxford and Cambridge also like A* for medicine especially in sciences
I find it amusing when people post rude replies because someone is not happy with an A grade when they are capable of attaining an even better one; its pathetic. Ever heard of the adage "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all"?? for those of you out there who are evidently devoid of brain cells or a helpful thought it might be something to consider??
I agree though, be persistent with your school, putting everything in writing is the best way to move forward and if nothing happens still, you should enquire at other local schools to see if you're able to sit an exam through them as an external candidate.
Original post by GGekko

Original post by GGekko
If you're that good a student then you wouldn't need to resit. Tough s***

because you've aced every single exam you've ever taken I'm sure. Sometimes things happen, its an amazing thing called life.
Reply 45
Original post by sophy_locks
because you've aced every single exam you've ever taken I'm sure. Sometimes things happen, its an amazing thing called life.

Yeah things can happen, but then you move on. I think resits just increase the chances of people getting higher grades by so much that it diminishes the standard of A-Levels as a qualification, and is one reason why great inflation is happening. In an examination you should have one chance at it, otherwise the object of it is kind of self-defeating.
pfft you dont need to resit GCSEs an A will be fine. besdies GCSE science was piss easy just get full UMS in the other exams and itll bring it up. my friend got like 2 bs but stilll got an A* overall (this was OCR 21st century science).
Reply 47
Anyone talking like GCSE's mean nothing dont generally have good GCSE's anyway. Many unis require 5A*'s+ at GCSE these days.
Reply 48
Original post by Jakeh
Anyone talking like GCSE's mean nothing dont generally have good GCSE's anyway. Many unis require 5A*'s+ at GCSE these days.

Plain not true. I have 11 As and A*s at GCSE, and I can tell you now: in the real world, they mean pretty much squat.

"Many unis require 5A*'s+ at GCSE these days." - citation needed.
Reply 49
I can do GCSE's with my eyes closed and my hands tied to my back.
Reply 50
Original post by Jakeh

Bull****, not 'many' only some, and depends on the course too. It's only because of the fierce competition on certain courses, back in the days people used to get into oxbridge and courses like Medicine with average grades like B's. A-Levels take greater precedence and are much more relevent to your university application.
Plain not true. I have 11 As and A*s at GCSE, and I can tell you now: in the real world, they mean pretty much squat.

"Many unis require 5A*'s+ at GCSE these days." - citation needed.

Original post by uer23
Bull****, not 'many' only some, and depends on the course too. It's only because of the fierce competition on certain courses, back in the days people used to get into oxbridge and courses like Medicine with average grades like B's. A-Levels take greater precedence and are much more relevent to your university application.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/med/medicine.aspx

Birmingham require at least 7 A*'s for their medicine and surgery degree. Who said GCSE's aren't important?
Reply 52
GCSE'S AREEEE IMPORTAAANT !

But only in medicine and a few other overfilled courses... :biggrin:

Birminham as already mentioned needs 8+A*s at GCSE.
Oxford says a few A* and A. But a few months ago I was reading at their website that the average medical student has 70% A*s in their GCSE, which means if you do 10 GCSE, 7 must be A*. That is pretty impressive archievement, so stop saying GCSE's are very easy or mean nothing.

OP GO FOR IT.. Make a fuss, try to write everything down. It always looks better when you write letters then talking to people. But first try talking to them ofcourse. A formal letter should be the last approach :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Okay well tell you guys what; apply to LSE/UCL/WARWICK/NOTTINGHAM/BIRMINGHAM/INSERT TOP 10 ECONOMICS UNI like I did and most will tell you that they require AAB (most people applying to these unis can get AAA); they then compare GCSE's.

The LSE tour guide told me specifically that they require 6A*'s an UCL required 5A* but ye im bull****ting.

hf with ur b's bro

Quick Reply

Latest