The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Applied ICT Unit 3- June 2011 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If it helps I'm using the following formula in Advertising B22.

=IF(AND(Values!$B7="Yes",Values!B$21="Yes"),B7,0)

Also, when using any value in Totals H26 I end up losing money.
Can anyone help?
Original post by Sadii
Anyone doing ICT & have a teacher that doesn't do anything.. Read on! ( this ain't defiante but most likely to be what's on the exam..
Scenario: Kornish Kraftz

Activity 1: summarise current situation & list key facts to the problem you need to solve.. (basically outline main facts in bullet points).
outline decisions you need to make..
Assumptions you are making..

Activity 2: evaluate source that have been used..
Why data could lead to inaccuries within the model...
the factors that haven't been takn into account..

Activity 3: Basically once imported the data you have to add a IF & And formula on the advertising page.. this would be for all possible shops & advertise type chosen! You must then to find totals revenue & cost you sum up the bottom of all months in values sheet! (you should practise doing it around 3-4times!

Activity 4: most likely there going to ask you to write a report based on recommending model for expansion using figures & graphs from spreadsheet...
(this would mention shops you've used, why you used them - ratings, show a graph of total cost & profits, which adverising method you would want to use..

Wow that's a lot of info .. Hope it helps everyone & best of luck in your exams! x

Heyy can you mail me the answers on [email protected] .. PLEASEEEE
Original post by SquadRedFox
Guys, I get that there needs to be an "IF" function in the Advertising Column in the "Totals" worksheet - but what needs to go in the "Advertising Sheet" - I'm getting that we might need to do an "IF" there as well - =IF(Values!$B7="Yes",IF(Values!B$21="Yes",Advertising!B7,0),0) ? Or Am I getting a bit confused as to where the "IF" goes. Cause that seems to be a double overuse of IF to work out the same thing.

DONT WORRY, I got it. I know why it's needed. HAVE A LOOK AT THESE! See attatched and Below.
http://www.experiglot.com/2006/12/11/how-to-use-nested-if-statements-in-excel-with-and-or-not/

Thanks alot!! Its a great help =)
Reply 83
Original post by Gorgeous devil

Heyy guys I need some help regarding this practical. Activity 1 is mostly he same as previous papers. Which is : a) List key facts relevant to the problem you have to solve.
(b) Outline the decisions you have to make.

In decisions making we can write where shops should be opened and what advertising method should be used. Right?? What else can we write?

And what about part (a).

what day is your exam? is it the monday?
Reply 84
Whos ICT unit 3 exam is on the monday 23rd may?
Original post by simba2011
hi. weve been using the spreadsheet, using the provided advertising data in school, and the maximum profit we got was about 189,000 as well, so how did u get 536,000? and what formulas did u enter in the advertising and totals sheets?

My teacher told me to use this formula in Totals sheet for Advertising =IF(Values!$B7="Yes",Totals!H7,0)

Is this wrong?? =\
Original post by abbiejane
what day is your exam? is it the monday?

No .. Mine is on 25th May
My teacher told me to use this formula in Totals sheet for Advertising =IF(Values!$B7="Yes",Totals!H7,0)

Is this wrong?? =\

No, Mine did as well. I've asked around, and every teacher says it; including one who helped set the exam. It's right, trust me.
Reply 88
No, Mine did as well. I've asked around, and every teacher says it; including one who helped set the exam. It's right, trust me.

Just like to say this is what I've been told is rights as well.

For cells B22 to E32 on the Advertising sheet does anyone have a definitive answer on what data/formula to use? Unless I'm getting confused, I've been told that we'll get a sheet with printed data on that we have to manually type into these cells.

Edit: Just got a response from my teacher. Apparently the most likely formula would be a cell with a percentage increase or decrease in the Advertising sheet, which is then multiplied by the costs in the top table of Advertising. So B22=B7*($I$14+1). Apparently an IF AND formula is too complicated for AS level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
looks like we've got a difference in formulas for the advertising sheet? and I thought we were on the same page... now I'm doubting my teacher.

just to be clear, I used a nested IF function for the advertising sheet. Since we still need to decide the advertising methods for Falmouth (it's default open, anyway) I used this function:

=IF(Values!$B7="No",0,IF(Values!B$21="Yes",Advertising!B7,0))

and for the totals sheet I used:

=IF(Values!$B7="Yes",Totals!H7,0)

can anyone tell me if they got it differently?
Reply 90
oh and kudos for those files, SquadRedFox. it was a big help. :smile:

although, for anyone that got those files, should I take their word for it in their spreadsheet method? or should I stick to the ones I have? it's a bit different than my formulas.
Reply 91

Is this wrong?? =\

I got the same thing, so yeah, you're right on track there.
Reply 92
Original post by deusmaster
looks like we've got a difference in formulas for the advertising sheet? and I thought we were on the same page... now I'm doubting my teacher.

just to be clear, I used a nested IF function for the advertising sheet. Since we still need to decide the advertising methods for Falmouth (it's default open, anyway) I used this function:

For the totals sheet I got the same (it can even just be replicated from the column to the left), but for the advertising sheet I was told that an IF AND/nested IF function was too complicated for AS level, and told the formula I'd need to use would most probably be =B7*($I$14+1) where I14 is a cell containing the percentage increase/decrease.
Reply 93
I'm really struggling with this exam and not sure how to prepare properly. Considering its only a couple of weeks away I'm worried. In particular, this is the if function. The importing and basic printing is fine but I'm not sure about the advertising bit. Advice needed please!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by hrickards
For the totals sheet I got the same (it can even just be replicated from the column to the left), but for the advertising sheet I was told that an IF AND/nested IF function was too complicated for AS level, and told the formula I'd need to use would most probably be =B7*($I$14+1) where I14 is a cell containing the percentage increase/decrease.

I'm resitting this exam; I did this exam in January, and was told by my friend that there's a fairly simple nested IF in one of the sheets. he was one of the only two people who got an A in this exam. I'm taking his word for it, and I checked past papers to see if there were IF functions in previous papers. there were, actually.

That's why I'm sure that since the advertising costs depend on whether the shop is open or not, an IF function should be used. in IGCSE we're taught nested IF functions anyway, why wouldn't they make us apply it in AS?
Reply 95
Original post by deusmaster

Original post by deusmastser

Hey... It sounds similar to what we have .. And probably get the same answers but we've been given =IF(And(Values!$B7="Yes",IF(Values!B $21="Yes",Advertising!B7,0),0) ... Which works!

I'm also opening 4 shops with the highest ratings for profit - and three advertisement methods!..
Reply 96

Thanks alot!! Its a great help =)

hey, has this post by squadredfox been removed, coz i cant seem to find it?!
Reply 97
the post by squad red fox, the one with attachments, has it been removed or something, coz i cant seem to find it, ro am i missing something here. new user pls bear with me
Reply 98

Is this wrong?? =\

yeah im supoosing thats right coz thats wat most of use. what max profit did u get using that formula and the spreadsheet?
Reply 99

hey, could u repost the attachments you posted some time earlier, seems like theyve disappeared

Quick Reply

Latest